How would you answer these questions from Coach Kill?

stevedave23

Reaction score
This excerpt was taken from Coach Kill's response to a question about changing the culture at the U:

"I think the biggest thing I would say about that is that you would probably have a better answer to that than me, that we well, it's been since 1967, so it's been a long time. When you have that long of a period of not winning the Big Ten, why is that? What do we need to do different?"

How would you answer those two questions?

That's an extremely loaded question, but to give three simplistic answers:

1. Hire a good coach.
2. Give him what he needs to succeed.
3. Make gameday a priority. People will care more when they are excited about showing up to the game and seeing the spectacle. Default answers to reasonable requests should be "yes" instead of "no".

I think we've accomplished #1 already. #2 is hopefully in the works. #3 is a long ways off, and hopefully will come sooner rather than later.

#3 is critical and not advancing as well due to outside influences. Ole Miss usually sucks but their game day tradition is awesome.

I think there needs to be more raging. Party On.

#3 will come with success. Minnesotans are pretty good at getting on the bandwagon,
so the first thing we need to do is get the bandwagon rolling.

As long as the U has to keep fighting the City of Minneapolis, things are going to be hard. The city continues to crack down on private parking areas, alcohol aside. Did ya know that a private lot owner can't sell gameday parking without a permit?

Did ya know that the U is in violation of City ordinances and that tailgating is actually not allowed, even in the U lots. The U has had to basically tell them to take a hike.

There is a specially ordinance that allows limited tailgaiting in Mpls, but it is only in the lots on Washington Ave. by the Metrodome. Who do you think is behind that?

The City Council and Mayor refused to back the U on the light rail route and seems to hate the U...so how do ya fix that?

Make the gophers the team in town.

When the Vikes came, the gophers went downhill

I think we need to be realistic and realize that the Vikes aren't going anywhere. We need to find a way to coexist with them and with some success coupled by an oncampus stadium, that will come.

I think the answer is to simply not look at it beyond what it is now. I don't know if Kill's job would be much different today had we won a Big Ten title in 1981 or 1991.

I think the answer to why, is that i'd say that we've had a few good football teams in the last few years and we need to be more consistant. To win a Big 10 championship, a lot of things need to line up the right way and if we are consistantly in the mix or close to the mix, it will inevitably happen. The key is consistancy and building the program the right way, keeping MN kids around, having a clear plan and recruiting and building according to that plan.

I would say DON'T try to model Iowa or WI or anyone else. We have a unique situation at The U. Make our team uniquely Minnesotan. Not sure how you do that, probably a combination of things. But I believe we're on the right track with the stadium (Tribal Nations Plaza, county entrances, skyline views, etc.), a coach that seems like he could be from The Range, an admin that is finally on board, and a little bit of Minnesota Not-nice (cold weather, chip on our shoulder attitude).

I would say we are doing a lot of the right things. I agree with all three of Dpod's suggestions, but another thing that is taking place is the massive PR movement - Gopher Webisodes on a regular and consistent basis, regular appearances on the radio by a number of individuals associated with the program (players, Coaches Kill and Limegrover, etc, etc.), and the great articles that are being written in the paper by both Phil Miller and Chip Scoggins (who used to cover the team and is a big college football fan, which is a plus), are all things that are creating an identify for the program, and a much stronger connection between the team and the state.

I used to ask my pals all of the time - there have to be good students/people that play on the gopher football team, but we NEVER heard anything about who these people were! This has taken a 180 shift just in the last nine months and it is a welcome change that I think will only benefit the program.

another thing that is taking place is the massive PR movement - Gopher Webisodes on a regular and consistent basis, regular appearances on the radio by a number of individuals associated with the program (players, Coaches Kill and Limegrover, etc, etc.), and the great articles that are being written in the paper by both Phil Miller and Chip Scoggins (who used to cover the team and is a big college football fan, which is a plus), are all things that are creating an identify for the program, and a much stronger connection between the team and the state.

I used to ask my pals all of the time - there have to be good students/people that play on the gopher football team, but we NEVER heard anything about who these people were! This has taken a 180 shift just in the last nine months and it is a welcome change that I think will only benefit the program.

This is a great point.

I'm more concerned on how Maturi will address them. Kill presented his "do' list. Now how much of the meat and potato's will Maturi agree too. If we're dealing with a half of plate here I would expect Kill to hit the highway. Kill has said: " I ain't doing it any other way except my way" So far on the inside not a very good start. Kill has been here 8 months and no contract. It seem the legal eagles at the U are more concerned on butting heads in the Jimmy Williams case trying to squeeze the buffelo off the nickel in the settlement issue.

Top Bottom