How will we do with our portal additions?

What grade do you expect?

• Total voters
Fire Johnson now and save us the additional 12 months of suffering.

He's getting fired, we all know this. Why prolong the shit show?
sorry to say, I am starting to feel the same way. I thought he was hitting the portal hard after the season. Nothing to show for it.

Thanks...obvious answer is just get the best players and do whatever you want.

My point is Ben wants to play 7 because he can't keep more than that happy. So he fills the roster with guys happy not playing. I believe the best strategy is to get as many good players as you can and play nine. Many would argue you can't do it like South Carolina women and Houston men because the players won't be happy and they'll transfer. That's the point. It can work.

Obviously, coaching helps too. Geno is only going to play 6 or 7 even if he has 15. South Carolina chooses to play 9. There's more to it. But, I like the philosophy of playing 9 for many reasons. Inevitable injuries is another.
And Hurley won a national title at UConn playing five guys against Purdue, with exception of nine minutes from two bench guys combined.

The established basketball schools can do it however they want because they got guys sitting on the bench who are good and unlikely to leave in-season and if they transfer...no worries they are easily replaced.
But the lesser schools, the places where programs are not established....the places that attract lesser talent: you play 9 guys and this allows you to develop people throughout the year, it minimizes the importance of injuries because you already have a 9 man rotation....you absorb the loss. When you play 6 or 7, an injury kills you...two injuries...shut it down. Your replacements haven't played...they frustrate the guys who have been playing because the fill-ins don't know how it all works....they have no confidence, they are nervous and uncomfortable.

Play nine and sell the team thing, SELL you are playing harder than the other team because we play 9 and so your defensive intensity is greater than the other team. Don't coast, don't rest on the court and become known by everybody for playing harder fthan the other team...it becomes something you can hang your hat on. People respect you. The sum is definitely greater than the parts and people feel good about it.
So if Ihnen and then JOJ prove to be liabilities on defense and non-productive on offense you play them anyway to "SELL playing harder than the other team"?

And Hurley won a national title at UConn playing five guys against Purdue, with exception of nine minutes from two bench guys combined.
What is your point?
Indianapolis was reported as the best place to experience the eclipse.
And your statement would be true if you ignore Diarra's 13 minutes off the bench. And if you don't account for the fact that increased TV timeouts in the NCAA Tournament allow guys to rest more frequently. So, they played 8 guys. Even if UConn played 5 guys what's your point?

Minnesota does not recruit 8 guys with the comparable ability, experience and athleticism that UConn does. The starting lines are miles apart.

Who cares? I don't care if he's "hitting the portal hard." Hell, I dont care if he took all 1500 portal entrants to dinner personally.
I care about results.
And there ain't none.
I agree. You're off topic, but I agree woth this.

So if Ihnen and then JOJ prove to be liabilities on defense and non-productive on offense you play them anyway to "SELL playing harder than the other team"?
Your takes are not very good. JOJ had a 9 game stretch where he averaged 13 ppg followed by a 9 game stretch where he barely saw the floor. In the 9 game stretch when he had minutes he shot over 60%. We also won 7 games in a row during this stretch. Defense is coaching. And I would not call that "non-productive on offense".

And I'm not sure how Ihnen went from our "best defender" to a liability on defense? He was doing fine until his minutes got cut and he lost confidence when Ben shortened the rotation. Inconsistent? Yes, what is that? Coaching. He started the season 14 for 18 from the field and 8 for 11 from 3 in the first three games. It seems there is some talent there? Where did it go?
Coaching...he hadn't played in a couple of years. He needed somebody to get him over the hump when he faltered.

It is not like either guy didn't show ability superior to guys playing ahead of them. I have no idea what went on...but we do have a coach who wants to play 7. So, these were casualties of a philosophy versus not having ability.

Per Doogie in his Scoops Podcast today, the Gophers thought they had Morgan and "it's not going well" in the portal so far.
You talking about Episode 429 or is there a new episode?

Even if you take out Ihnen it was an 8 man rotation until the final 10+ games of the year when JOJ's minutes fell off the face of the earth and the rotation became 7.

None of us knows the full reason behind what happened with JOJ but he went from playing 20+ minutes a game to closer to 5 and then he transferred so putting it all together I would guess something happened that caused him to fall out of favor and for his minutes to crater. When he did play he looked lost and did not look good at all.

It is clear Johnson prefers a smaller rotation overall and will never be one to go 10 deep but if he has guys he trusts he has shown he will play 8-9.
Fox didn't play shit for minutes until Joj didn't... Ben plays 7 players... That's been proven

Surprising it is tough to find information on many players in the transfer portal. You would think more and more would be leaked out everyday in the current world. Think more leaks will come out starting the 11th afternoon.

Surprising it is tough to find information on many players in the transfer portal. You would think more and more would be leaked out everyday in the current world. Think more leaks will come out starting the 11th afternoon.
This yr will be different.

Making Collectives put NIL in writing, and the ability to compare written offers means I believe will make it take multiple weeks longer. Just my guess though,

Your takes are not very good. JOJ had a 9 game stretch where he averaged 13 ppg followed by a 9 game stretch where he barely saw the floor. In the 9 game stretch when he had minutes he shot over 60%. We also won 7 games in a row during this stretch. Defense is coaching. And I would not call that "non-productive on offense".

And I'm not sure how Ihnen went from our "best defender" to a liability on defense? He was doing fine until his minutes got cut and he lost confidence when Ben shortened the rotation. Inconsistent? Yes, what is that? Coaching. He started the season 14 for 18 from the field and 8 for 11 from 3 in the first three games. It seems there is some talent there? Where did it go?
Coaching...he hadn't played in a couple of years. He needed somebody to get him over the hump when he faltered.

It is not like either guy didn't show ability superior to guys playing ahead of them. I have no idea what went on...but we do have a coach who wants to play 7. So, these were casualties of a philosophy versus not having ability.
Garbage take as always.

He played 9 until Ihnen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He then played 8 until JOJ started pouting because he wasn't starting anymore. Not to mention he played only 7 players 4 times the entire season.

What is your point?
Indianapolis was reported as the best place to experience the eclipse.
And your statement would be true if you ignore Diarra's 13 minutes off the bench. And if you don't account for the fact that increased TV timeouts in the NCAA Tournament allow guys to rest more frequently. So, they played 8 guys. Even if UConn played 5 guys what's your point?

Minnesota does not recruit 8 guys with the comparable ability, experience and athleticism that UConn does. The starting lines are miles apart.
The point is you play the guys who can give you the best chance whether it's five, six, eight, or ten. You do not play two guys who have become liabilities just because ignorant people on a message board say you should.

You talking about bad takes is hilarious. Yes Ihnen made five threes the first game. Against who? In your mind that means he will be one of the top scorers in February? LOL.

And by whose calculation did Ihnen go "from our best defender" to what he became? Is that your excellent "take" that he was our best defender? Funny stuff.

As has been pointed out thousands of times, nobody here knows what happened between JOJ and Johnson. But anyone could see JOJ transformed during the season. Something happened. You have not the first clue what.

The contention Johnson doesn't want more than seven guys who can play is stupid.

Top Bottom