How will we do with our portal additions?

What grade do you expect?

• Total voters
April 4-11th is dead period. I do believe the flurry starts soon. Last year it was March 30 - April 6 at noon.

DIVISION I MEN'S BASKETBALL

• March 1 – April 3, 2024: Contact period
  • April 4 – 9 (noon), 2024: Recruiting/contact period
    • Evaluations permitted at any all-star contest during the final weekend of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship in the host city (Phoenix): Evaluation period
  • April 9 (noon) – May 20, 2024: Contact period

Thanks for the additional info

Does one actually hear schools or cooperatives throwing out huge numbers most of the time or are these claims just made by 3rd parties on Twitter? I'm sure there are a relatively small number of athletes making princely sums (We can see Caitlin Clark on national TV commercials and we know she has other contracts).
Caitlin is getting NIL money. State Farm is not paying her to play at Iowa.

Don't see that very often in a game much less than the first 5 minutes of one, 2 over and back calls on Purdue.

Caitlin is getting NIL money. State Farm is not paying her to play at Iowa.
The State Farm money is what NIL was supposed to be. The player was supposed to be able to sell their own name, image and likeness to people who wanted it for advertising purposes. Really, there's nothing wrong with that. Much of the rest of what we see is just pay for play with big donors being allowed to manipulate the sport.

The State Farm money is what NIL was supposed to be. The player was supposed to be able to sell their own name, image and likeness to people who wanted it for advertising purposes. Really, there's nothing wrong with that. Much of the rest of what we see is just pay for play with big donors being allowed to manipulate the sport.
It’s CRAZY how obvious that is but nobody seems to care

Didn't hear the interview but think it would be important context on if he was talking specifically about football and basketball or if he was talking about the athletic department as a whole. Because in most sports the numbers you cited would be seen as adequate.

Football and Basketball are a different animal in terms of the money that is being thrown at players. At least that is how it seems if any of the information we see is actually true which it may or may not be since there is so much grey area in the NIL/Pay for Play space.
Football and basketball is what he was talking about...why it seemed out of touch is because he also said NIL is on his plate every hour of every day.

AND, in like 99% of the State Farm level commercials it is the player or their rep acquiring that opportunity...not a collective. My complaint that most players are not proactive but I think in most cases they also need a hook...they are a playmaker, social media presence, some type of charisma.

Does one actually hear schools or cooperatives throwing out huge numbers most of the time or are these claims just made by 3rd parties on Twitter? I'm sure there are a relatively small number of athletes making princely sums (We can see Caitlin Clark on national TV commercials and we know she has other contracts).
Well, we hear plenty of coaches complaining how they lost players do to $. Brian Dutcher was upset they lost Nelly Joseph to New Mexico because the Lobos trumped their offer at $150,000.
Nebraska football and basketball has talked about numbers. Gophers lost Bucky for $100,000.
I think $20,000 and up is pretty common place.

This no transfer news is a bit boring and more concerning.
Are you concerned that you haven't heard any news from any college the last few days? As stated earlier by others, I believe this is a period in which no commitments can be made.

commitments I think can be made, but not visits or in person contact.
Appreciate the clarification. Commitments are bound to slow down with no visits/ contact but theoretically not illegal. Still not a cause for concern for any program IMO.

Last edited:

Appreciate the clarification. Commitments are bound to slow down with no visits/ contact but theoretically not illegal. Still not a cause for concern for any program IMO.

I think ATS is correct. It looks like some commitments have been made during this "dead period."

Are you concerned that you haven't heard any news from any college the last few days? As stated earlier by others, I believe this is a period in which no commitments can be made.
I guess I was just getting a little ahead of myself. I want this roster set in stone like yesterday lol.

I guess I was just getting a little ahead of myself. I want this roster set in stone like yesterday lol.
AKA....If CBJ doesn't land help from the portal than the seat should get warm really fast, before too late to suffer another year.

Well, we hear plenty of coaches complaining how they lost players do to $. Brian Dutcher was upset they lost Nelly Joseph to New Mexico because the Lobos trumped their offer at $150,000.
Nebraska football and basketball has talked about numbers. Gophers lost Bucky for $100,000.
I think $20,000 and up is pretty common place.
Still, I think that "our kids are happy with a few thousand" is a great selling pitch! :)

Still, I think that "our kids are happy with a few thousand" is a great selling pitch! :)
Ya, he was really proud of it. Very upbeat. It did seem to work in football and Garcia seems onboard...so, I dunno.

There are plenty of kids out there who can play basketball and not need $$$$$. Coach needs to find ways to use each kids talents to the best of the team.
South Carolina girls just won the National Championship playing 9 girls every game somewhere between 12 and 17 minutes each minimum. Regular season, close games and NCAA Tournament games....consistent minutes for 9 girls.
I'm telling y'all it is the formula in the present times. Kids want consistent roles, they want to do it as a group/team. Team morale is better and you increase odds people improve over the season and that any of your nine gets hot on a game night.

Really not that impressed with this list.
Sadly no. I would say best case scenario there is enough improvement from Christie and the bench to offset the loss of Payne and get us to 9-11 again. Worst case, Christie leaves and we win 5-7 B1G games.

Add Stony Brook grad transfer Keenan Fitzmorris to our list of portal targets, a 7’0” center who averaged 11.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.0 assist, and 1.1 blocks.

Two other big men who just entered the portal are Kentucky freshman Aaron Bradshaw, and Arizona center Oumar Ballo.

Last edited:

Sadly no. I would say best case scenario there is enough improvement from Christie and the bench to offset the loss of Payne and get us to 9-11 again. Worst case, Christie leaves and we win 5-7 B1G games.
We need some inside play. What we have and even upgraded guard and wing play won’t make up for the loss of Payne. He needs to get some bulk to compete in this league. We can’t adopt an out score them approach and succeed.

Top Bottom