How will we do with our portal additions?

What grade do you expect?

• Total voters
A coach won't help with paying NIL. The whole NIL is whats causing 85% of this movement
yes- the right coach would help with attracting and paying NIL- absolutely. People who give to NIL funds want a winning product. I'm not saying Ben can't get there, I am saying that there is no track record to suggest that he will.

Have there been lots of signings to date? Or has it been slow going for most at this early stage.

Is there a site that lists who has signed with who?

Thanks

12% in The Athletic’s list (11 of 92): so no, we’re not missing out on the gold rush - I’m assuming teams are waiting to see what their roster ends up being, prior to going great guns. As usual, more patience is required than the average fan can afford.

I posted about Evan’s being in the portal after I saw his name/profile on the portal list. In absolutely no way was I serious about ever, ever having him play as a Gopher. My guess is, as others have said, he will never play for a Power 5 team.
Why???? He's been medically cleared to play (according to SI).....to think we'd turn him down is laughable....we had Jack Wilson on scholarship last year FFS....

The question for me is....will Ben recruit 5 guys who will be legitimately in competition to start?
Or will he recruit two guys and give 3 scholarships to walk-on level candidates who promise they will sit and watch quietly.

The question for me is....will Ben recruit 5 guys who will be legitimately in competition to start?
Or will he recruit two guys and give 3 scholarships to walk-on level candidates who promise they will sit and watch quietly.
The question isn't what CBJ wants. The question is what he can get.

And there's zero chance he can recruit 5 B1G level players. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

He might get 2. If he gets lucky and someone wants to come back home.

I think the Gophers have to take a similar approach to how mid-level college hockey teams are built. Wait for kids to develop in the NAHL (or whatever it's called) and then bring them in as 20 and 21 year olds to go against Minnesota's 18 year old phenoms. Quinnipiac has won a championship with that method.

Ben needs to get fundamentally solid older guys with man muscles who know how to play, but aren't going to wow you with athleticism. Get the "Larry Blurred's" out there. That's how the Gophers win in this new world of college hoops.

Evans was NOT medically cleared to play at Louisville in Jan 2024. Is there more recent news? I'm skeptical. Basically, a first-year player played a handful of games, Louisville didn't want him...Now he's going to start for MN gophers.
But... but... but wingspan..... 🤡

Which do you think is more likely?

Which do you think is more likely?
I probably have tipped my hand....probably hoping the two guys are better than I expected or better than I thought we'd get.
Coyle was on KFAN with JG this afternoon. He said the big money NIL people are a handful around the country. He said we are giving guys hundreds of dollars and a few thousand dollars through Dinkytown and the players are happy with that.
I think he is mistaken...whatever number he said...$3,000 or $5,000 is low...you hear of many schools doing better than that but he is proud of those numbers...suggesting we are competing with those numbers.

Last edited:

I probably have tipped my hand....probably hoping the two guys are better than I expected or better than I thought we'd get.
Coyle was on KFAN with JG this afternoon. He said the big money NIL people are a handful around the country. He said we are giving guys hundreds of dollars and a few thousand dollars through Dinkytown and the players are happy with that.
I think he is mistaken...whatever number he said...$3,000 or $5,000 is low...you hear of many schools doing better than that but he is proud of those numbers...suggesting we are competing with those numbers.
ouch. Coyle is so inspiring.

Didn't hear the interview but think it would be important context on if he was talking specifically about football and basketball or if he was talking about the athletic department as a whole. Because in most sports the numbers you cited would be seen as adequate.

Football and Basketball are a different animal in terms of the money that is being thrown at players. At least that is how it seems if any of the information we see is actually true which it may or may not be since there is so much grey area in the NIL/Pay for Play space.

Didn't hear the interview but think it would be important context on if he was talking specifically about football and basketball or if he was talking about the athletic department as a whole. Because in most sports the numbers you cited would be seen as adequate.

Football and Basketball are a different animal in terms of the money that is being thrown at players. At least that is how it seems if any of the information we see is actually true which it may or may not be since there is so much grey area in the NIL/Pay for Play space.
Grey area is a euphemism for no one telling the truth. Until verifiable data proves otherwise, I’m going to assume reports of how much players are getting are overstated. It is in the interests of the grifters to puff up what they are doing for their clients and that’s really the only source we have for the numbers.

Grey area is a euphemism for no one telling the truth. Until verifiable data proves otherwise, I’m going to assume reports of how much players are getting are overstated. It is in the interests of the grifters to puff up what they are doing for their clients and that’s really the only source we have for the numbers.

One of the most common things people exaggerate/lie about is money

Does one actually hear schools or cooperatives throwing out huge numbers most of the time or are these claims just made by 3rd parties on Twitter? I'm sure there are a relatively small number of athletes making princely sums (We can see Caitlin Clark on national TV commercials and we know she has other contracts).

Does one actually hear schools or cooperatives throwing out huge numbers most of the time or are these claims just made by 3rd parties on Twitter? I'm sure there are a relatively small number of athletes making princely sums (We can see Caitlin Clark on national TV commercials and we know she has other contracts).
I think early on, there were some high profile benefits doled out to schools that included something for every scholarship athlete. The guy who owns the Cavaliers and Rocket Mortgage (I think) is a big Michigan State guy and dropped a pile on them that would be distributed among all sports and athletes. There may be some others, but for the most part, it is all cloak and dagger with hardly anyone knowing anything.

For purposes of conversation, the Caitlin Clark kind of scenarios I won't include. She's getting paid by State Farm for doing commercials and we all know it, and ostensibly not by Iowa donors to play basketball, which is a big difference.

I think early on, there were some high profile benefits doled out to schools that included something for every scholarship athlete. The guy who owns the Cavaliers and Rocket Mortgage (I think) is a big Michigan State guy and dropped a pile on them that would be distributed among all sports and athletes. There may be some others, but for the most part, it is all cloak and dagger with hardly anyone knowing anything.

For purposes of conversation, the Caitlin Clark kind of scenarios I won't include. She's getting paid by State Farm for doing commercials and we all know it, and ostensibly not by Iowa donors to play basketball, which is a big difference.

She and Caleb Williams are national brands and outliers; there are a handful of women hoopers and football players in the 🪣

So far it is an F as in failed to get anything..... hopefully with Garcia, and others announcing coming back it will help lure some big CENTERS to MN!

The Caitlin Clark kind is the what NIL was really sold as. It was all BS to bring in this silly system but at least hers is true compensation for her likeness and image.

So far it is an F as in failed to get anything..... hopefully with Garcia, and others announcing coming back it will help lure some big CENTERS to MN!

~22% of the top 100 have transferred, so it’s not like we’re moving at a glacial pace.

I’m sure there will be brisker movement next week, as teams firm up their rosters and the tournament has finished.

Additionally, my figure comes from The Athletics’ list of the top 98 players in the portal, so many of those wouldn’t be our targets anyway.

Last edited:

~22% of the top 100 have transferred, so it’s not like we’re moving at a glacial pace.

I’m sure there will be brisker movement next week, as teams firm up their rosters and the tournament has finished.

Additionally, my figure comes from The Athletics’ list of the top 98 players in the portal, so many of those wouldn’t be our targets anyway.
April 4-11th is dead period. I do believe the flurry starts soon. Last year it was March 30 - April 6 at noon.

April 4-11th is dead period. I do believe the flurry starts soon. Last year it was March 30 - April 6 at noon.

DIVISION I MEN'S BASKETBALL

• March 1 – April 3, 2024: Contact period
  • April 4 – 9 (noon), 2024: Recruiting/contact period
    • Evaluations permitted at any all-star contest during the final weekend of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship in the host city (Phoenix): Evaluation period
  • April 9 (noon) – May 20, 2024: Contact period

Top Bottom