How will the T-Wolves do with two centers?

Fleck yeah

Reaction score
How do we think the Timberwolves will do with Karl Anthony Towns, and Rudy Gobert. Do we think this will work or will it end up being a bust?

It all comes down to spacing. ANT needs room to penetrate, and DLo needs to get to the rim too. I do think DLo and Rudy could be a good pick and roll duo, good thing is Rudy doesn’t need the offense to run through him to be happy.

Offensively should be fine. It's the defense that is more of a question to me.

Yea KAT will be forced to guard some 4s, which could be a mismatch but he’ll have more help side D from Rudy at the rim than he’s ever had before. And our guards and wings can take a few more risks knowing they have 2 rim protectors behind them.

I think the opposite because Ant won't get the looks he did last year because of spacing and defensively Gobert is very good. He can hopefully elevate everyones defense like what PatBev did.

I think the opposite because Ant won't get the looks he did last year because of spacing and defensively Gobert is very good. He can hopefully elevate everyones defense like what PatBev did.
Our spacing won't be any worse than last year. Gobert is essentially replacing Vando's minutes and we have more/better small ball options with Kyle Anderson at stretch 4.

The question that seems to plague this team year after year, which helps with much of our concerns: do we have a spot up knock down shooter?

Howl Wolves!!

I think their games compliment each other.

here's some thoughts from the Strib's T-Wolves beat writer:

On offense, Towns can play all over the floor, but pick and roll isn't his strong suit. Gobert, meanwhile, is one of the best pick-and-roll players in the league. Towns' game can adapt all over the floor while Gobert can be an efficient player in the post. On defense, Towns was comfortable last season playing along the perimeter in the Wolves' high-wall scramble scheme. He has never been an elite rim protector. Gobert, a three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, is the best rim protector of this generation.

Gobert's presence inside should boost the team's defensive rebounding, one of its biggest weaknesses a season ago. Towns will be one who downshifts to play the "4," but it seems like the two could find a way to play alongside each other.

I should rephrase and say they might have some defensive challenges against some lineups.

Overall, I think they'll be better on both sides of the ball.

The question that seems to plague this team year after year, which helps with much of our concerns: do we have a spot up knock down shooter?

Howl Wolves!!
We have shooters now. The Wolves were 9th in 3FGM and 2nd in 3pFG%.

Towns is a generational shooter. Russell can shoot (had a bit of a down year last year). Nowell can shoot and will take Beasley's minutes. Forbes is a career 40+% 3p shooter. Prince, if he plays, can shoot. Kyle Anderson and Naz can shoot enough to provide spacing.

It’d be nice if Towns could pass. Not sure about Gobert.

I think defensively Towns wasn’t much anyhow. We didn’t exactly have world beating D at the 4. Thus, whatever we lose with Towns moving there is mitigated by the significant upgrade at Center on D.

Moreover, Towns never really took to his role on that end. I wonder if we get a positive boost in other areas of his game as he is released fro certain responsibilities?

we were never going to out small ball golden state so now we force other teams to match up with us, i like it.

I think this situation is 10% schemes/strategies and 90% personalities. There are multiple alphas who are going to have to accept change and Finch is going to have to sell it. KAT has a reputation in the league for being a baby and for being soft. Moving him outside is going further emphasize his "softness" and he's not going to like that. Rudy was reportedly frustrated in Utah because he wasn't getting enough touches. If he doesn't get an expanded offensive role with the wolves, will he pout? DLo wants a new deal, here or elsewhere. Is he going to be even more sticky with the basketball than usual? Ant is probably ready to take over the team. He's not a willing passer either.

KAT is a decent passer. DLo will work the PnR well with Rudy. Otherwise, this is not a starting five that moves the ball well. That's concerning. Defensively, they should be good even with KAT getting beat by quicker 4's on the perimeter.

This is a really deep team with a lot of talent. I'm not sure how well the parts and personalities will fit together. I think Finch is facing a real challenge and it will be fascinating to see if he can make it look as good on the court as it looks on paper. Setting injuries aside, I could see this team winning only 38 games and I could also see it winning 60 games and going to the WC finals.

Top Bottom