How to do the SKI-U-MAH cheer .... I mean, really folks, it ain't rocket science.

Reaction score
Adding SKI-U-MAH as a quick cheer on kick-offs is OK, but not a great way to utilize what I believe to be one of the best (potential) cheers in college sports.

Iowa has four side to their stadium and so, each side takes a letter ... I ... O ... W ... A

We have three sides to our stadium (sorry west end zone - you're kinda puny). The south side (Gopher home side) starts it off with SKI. The student section (and west end zone) adds U. The north side takes MAH. The cheerleaders could hold up signs for a couple of games to get it started. After that, it would take on a life of it's own.

Make sure the student section gets the U - it's the fun part and they are the current "U".

Think of how the stadium would rock on third downs for the defense if the crowd was chanting "SKI-U-MAH" instead of that crappy gong thing. BTW, there are a lot of schools that use that crappy gong thing on third down. Let's be unique!! OK?

Add it end of The Rouser and do it on kick offs ... where everybody chants SKI-U-MAH. But please GOPHER CHEER SQUAD Yeah, I'm talkin' to you - PLEASE try this idea of using each side of the stadium. I really think it's going to work well.

I agree we need to get the SKI-U-MAH cheer going in different ways. I have no problem with your 3-sides of the stadium but not on third downs. The problem with third downs is you have only one-third of the stadium making noise when everyone should be yelling at the same time to disrupt the opponent's offense. Also, let the poor SOB's in the west end zone in on Ski and/or Mah.

Adding SKI-U-MAH as a quick cheer on kick-offs is OK, but not a great way to utilize what I believe to be one of the best (potential) cheers in college sports.

Iowa has four side to their stadium and so, each side takes a letter ... I ... O ... W ... A

We have three sides to our stadium (sorry west end zone - you're kinda puny). The south side (Gopher home side) starts it off with SKI. The student section (and west end zone) adds U. The north side takes MAH. The cheerleaders could hold up signs for a couple of games to get it started. After that, it would take on a life of it's own.

Make sure the student section gets the U - it's the fun part and they are the current "U".

Think of how the stadium would rock on third downs for the defense if the crowd was chanting "SKI-U-MAH" instead of that crappy gong thing. BTW, there are a lot of schools that use that crappy gong thing on third down. Let's be unique!! OK?

Add it end of The Rouser and do it on kick offs ... where everybody chants SKI-U-MAH. But please GOPHER CHEER SQUAD Yeah, I'm talkin' to you - PLEASE try this idea of using each side of the stadium. I really think it's going to work well.

This is how the U tried to do it when the stadium opened in 2009 (only it was the visiting side that had Ski IIRC). They even had 3 big flags with Ski, U, and Mah on them. The cheer squad was leading it in each area. It didn't take. I have a litany of reasons why I think that is, but in short:
- The had Jamie lead it...having the PA guy lead something like this isn't the way to go.
- The never publicized they were doing it. So the non diehards had no idea what was going on.
- They never explained how it would work. So the non diehards didn't know what to do even if they did figure out that a cheer was in process.

I think they could get it to catch on with some simple steps, but thus far the U seems uninterested in retrying it.

a. I have been saying this for years.
b. The spirit squad tried this the first year at TCF and maybe a few years prior at the dome using flags.
c. I agree that it would sound AWESOME and be just like the hockey games MIN NE SO TA competition.
d. Keep trying to get this going.
Ski U Mah

I'm so glad you made a new thread for this.

Ok, I've noticed a lot of people throwing out lots of ridiculously complicated ways to use this cheer. How about just as a normal chant? I agree it could be one of the better and more unique cheers in college athletics. How about using "Ski-U-Mah" instead of the woefully overused "Let's go Gopohers". It even has a better and more powerful rhythm, which naturally lends itself to really getting a stadium going (for those of you familiar, think "Let's go Sioux" for UND). It really should be just the go-to chant for anything, plain and simple.

It will take off if the scoreboard adds the "Ski" "U" "Mah" for the ENTIRE crowd to yell while kicking off. Don't dice it into a sectional thing until people learn the basics.

I feel like this thread has never been made before.

They should do it in place of the "Go Big Gold" cheer.

It is just too complicated to have different sections doing different things. Most of the people will be wondering what in the world is going on. Baby steps. Just get everyone to yell Ski-U-Mah in unison. Then maybe you can introduce something more complicated.

With everyone doing it in unison, you can grow it, one row, one section at a time. With having different parts of the stadium doing different things, you need to have everyone doing it with maximum intensity, or you'll wind up with something like (to use an example someone else posted) "SKI - U - MAH"

They should do it in place of the "Go Big Gold" cheer.

This x1000. Why are they forcing an extremely generic "GO BIG GOLD" when we have a perfect three syllable cheer at our disposal? Those short "band cheers" are generic any way, at least make them our own with the cheer portion.

This x1000. Why are they forcing an extremely generic "GO BIG GOLD" when we have a perfect three syllable cheer at our disposal? Those short "band cheers" are generic any way, at least make them our own with the cheer portion.

Well said. You truly are the master.

It will take off if the scoreboard adds the "Ski" "U" "Mah" for the ENTIRE crowd to yell while kicking off. Don't dice it into a sectional thing until people learn the basics.

+1

Top Bottom