How This NCAA Ref Knows We Are Doomed As A Society

He is not allowed to do Kentucky games ......so it is hard to hold a grudge against them anymore.

Another incident. Unbelievable.

Just sick that anything like this ever happens. Getting that upset over a high school rec league game....good lord. Hope the attacker gets to spend a good amount of time in a jail cell.

He holds grudges against others besides Kentucky. He needs to go away
Exactly...term limits for referees, by conference. 2 years in a conference and on to the next conference. After refereeing in each p5 conference they can start over. The referees shouldn't be buddy-buddy with the coaches or fans.

Exactly...term limits for referees, by conference. 2 years in a conference and on to the next conference. After refereeing in each p5 conference they can start over. The referees shouldn't be buddy-buddy with the coaches or fans.
How would you like it if your work mandated that you spend 5 months of the year working in a different part of the country than you want to for 10 of the next 12 years? Does that sound like a good plan to retain talent?

As a now retired college and high school official w 33 year experience I agree with your last comment about buddy buddy with the coaches and fans. However the term limit idea is nonsense and I hope was offered in jest. Every official is rated after every game, especially at the D1 level where there is so much at stake. If your ratings are below standards you are gone. Most college officials attend summer referee camps at their own expense so they can improve. The average fan knows nothing about officiating, court coverage, points of emphasis for that season or the rules of basketball. Some of the posts on GH make that painfully obvious.

As a now retired college and high school official w 33 year experience I agree with your last comment about buddy buddy with the coaches and fans. However the term limit idea is nonsense and I hope was offered in jest. Every official is rated after every game, especially at the D1 level where there is so much at stake. If your ratings are below standards you are gone. Most college officials attend summer referee camps at their own expense so they can improve. The average fan knows nothing about officiating, court coverage, points of emphasis for that season or the rules of basketball. Some of the posts on GH make that painfully obvious.
Thank you for a great post and for reffing ! Fans are just homers. They never say what a well officiated game or better yet, they never say we got the better of the calls tonight !

I have mentioned before about a game at Kansas against WVU. I was wrong about that game. I said the free throw disparity was 32-2 in favor of Kansas.....nope.......it was 35-2! And guess who was one of the refs! It is true I am a homer for my two teams, like most fans, but, I was also a collegiate player and played in more games than I can remember... with referees. Hey Built, have you ever heard of a game with that free throw disparity....of course not! Should have called in the FBI to investigate that game too! One of the worst championship games in the history....Kansas vs UNC....two of the biggest cheaters in the history of ncaa. The ncaa is a joke!

Interesting how this discussion has wandered away from the inexcusable behavior of some coaches, players, parents and fans against officials, who are trying to do their job, to how terrible officials are.

Makes me wonder if, for some people, there is a level of perceived incompetence that makes the behavior mentioned at the top of this thread completely acceptable.

Obviously, because it does happen, that seems to be the case.

Well said, you can really tell who's officiated in an organized environment (had to pass a test at least) by having a 30 second conversation. The idea of understanding coverage, understanding the rule, and the art of trying to subjectively call something that is rigid it hard. Then add all that, plus the speed of the game. It's a thankless job and there is no surprise we have a shortage.

I reffed some Minneapolis Park Board junior high level games back in the 1970s and the parents were well-behaved back then, but some of the kids were really little pr*cks. The 1970s is when "flopping" became all in vogue and there was this kid who was never getting set and just flopping. He'd get up and look at me "Where's the foul?" I'd just keep going. Finally, he flops and trips the offensive player in the process so I call a foul on the flopper. Kid can't figure it out. At halftime, I pull him aside and basically tell him (and showed him) how to get set if he's intent on taking a charge. Kid won't have it and starts yelling at me. His coach comes over and asks "What's going on?" I replied that I was trying to teach his player how to play proper defense, which didn't sit too well with the coach. So much for me being a buttinski.

I have mentioned before about a game at Kansas against WVU. I was wrong about that game. I said the free throw disparity was 32-2 in favor of Kansas.....nope.......it was 35-2! And guess who was one of the refs! It is true I am a homer for my two teams, like most fans, but, I was also a collegiate player and played in more games than I can remember... with referees. Hey Built, have you ever heard of a game with that free throw disparity....of course not! Should have called in the FBI to investigate that game too! One of the worst championship games in the history....Kansas vs UNC....two of the biggest cheaters in the history of ncaa. The ncaa is a joke!
I guess all Blue Bloods are cheaters.

Can I ask which KU vs WV game that was? I asked because I was at this one. The mountain top of BB fieldhouses!!!!

I don’t think one example proves your point, but ok.

Purdue and Texas played a ncaa tourney game where free throws had a greater disparity

Interesting how this discussion has wandered away from the inexcusable behavior of some coaches, players, parents and fans against officials, who are trying to do their job, to how terrible officials are.

Makes me wonder if, for some people, there is a level of perceived incompetence that makes the behavior mentioned at the top of this thread completely acceptable.

Obviously, because it does happen, that seems to be the case.
Exactly! I was going to point out the same thing.

Back to the OP and the name of the thread….

This instance is just an example of what has been happening for a long time in the coaching of youth sports. There are some abusive coaches that teach kids the wrong way. Typically it is the responsibility of the organization and the parents to correct these cases.

This case sounds like some parents (the coach and friends) got a team together to have their kids compete at AAU tournaments. If so, then the coach is in charge and really answers to nobody. Maybe the parents will step in after the suspensions and get the coach to tone it down or find another team for their kid.

I don’t think one example proves your point, but ok.
Do you think there is only one example????? It seem stupid to complain about refs at this time of mourning, so I am done complaining about refs. Didn't mean to like your comment...hit the wrong button.

Baseball umping behind the plate is right up there as well.
The reason I think baseball is a lot easier is you are looking for something at a moment in time and know when the moment is coming. Pitch across plate, tag before bag.

In basketball something can happen at any moment anywhere on the court. Hockey players are more spread out and there's no foul called for contact. Football has an entire crew watching spots for a play that lasts 3-7 seconds. Not much happens in a baseball game. (Plate umpire pretty much has just one job, determine if the ball was in the zone or not.)

Baseball umping behind the plate is right up there as well.
Many fans get irritate over a pitch that barely shows space between the ball and the strike zone. I get it when it is obvious. They have their moments as well. Officiating as a whole is a different animal viewing from the stands as opposed to calling it on the playing field regardless of sport.

For those who think it's easy or complain, I suggest that they give it a try, and do tournaments when the heat is turned up more.

Maybe West Virginia should have stopped fouling so much.

Top Bottom