How the Golden Gophers spent a decade running without making any progress

Mason only won 46% of FBS games pre-Minnesota (no sanctions) and no other titles. Was he shitty hire too?
Mason 46% FBS
Mason had two teams finish in the top 25, 1 top 10
Mason 33-25 his last 5 years
Mason over .500 in conference 40% of the time in his FBS career pre-Minnesota

Wacker 40% FBS
Wacker 0 teams finish top 25
Wacker 25-30 his last 5 years
Wacker over .500 in conference 0% of the time in his FBS career pre-Minnesota

Mason wasn’t a slam dunk. Not nearly as terrible IMO

Last edited:

Mason 46% FBS
Mason had two teams finish in the top 25, 1 top 10
Mason 33-25 his last 5 years
Mason over .500 in conference 40% of the time in his FBS career pre-Minnesota

Wacker 40% FBS
Wacker 0 teams finish top 25
Wacker 25-30 his last 5 years
Wacker over .500 in conference 0% of the time in his FBS career pre-Minnesota

Mason wasn’t a slam dunk. Not nearly as terrible IMO

So....Mason was a net loser in the FBS before getting to Minnesota. You're making shit up as you go. Nice job.

So....Mason was a net loser in the FBS before getting to Minnesota. You're making shit up as you go. Nice job.
Mason was a net loser when the gophers hired him.
He also got fired by the gophers for not winning enough

Mason went over .500 20% of the time in conference at Minnesota and it was half of what he did at his previous FBS stops
Wacker went over .500 0% of the time in conference at Minnesota and it was exactly what he did at previous stops

Last edited:

Author is drinking haterade. I appreciate weird off-season content as much as the next guy, but he should have spent his time writing about the Brewster era instead.

I don't know who else the author could imagined that would have carried the Gophers through the late 90's/2000's, considering the facilities we had and playing in an off-campus stadium. Honestly, we should be lucky - there are programs out there that have actually been mediocre or worse for 25 years.

Mason wasn't perfect but he put the Gophers on the map (getting national attention due to our running game) and produced legit NFL talent that had some solid stretches at the next level. A CEO-style coach that could raise money for facilities and recruit getter like PJ would have never taken the Minnesota job at the time.

Author is drinking haterade. I appreciate weird off-season content as much as the next guy, but he should have spent his time writing about the Brewster era instead.

I don't know who else the author could imagined that would have carried the Gophers through the late 90's/2000's, considering the facilities we had and playing in an off-campus stadium. Honestly, we should be lucky - there are programs out there that have actually been mediocre or worse for 25 years.

Mason wasn't perfect but he put the Gophers on the map (getting national attention due to our running game) and produced legit NFL talent that had some solid stretches at the next level. A CEO-style coach that could raise money for facilities and recruit getter like PJ would have never taken the Minnesota job at the time.
It’s an impossible thing to know but I wish the gophers could’ve hired Kill when they hired Mason and hired Mason when kill was done.
Reverse order I think they’d have complemented each other pretty well.
Or even if they hired kill without Brewster in between.

Top Bottom