How the Golden Gophers spent a decade running without making any progress

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Andrew:

The Treadmill of Mediocrity has become a popular phrase in modern sports. It refers to teams that are good enough to rise above the bottom of their league, but not good enough to compete for anything meaningful. It implies a sort of complacency or a glass ceiling that the current roster, coach, or administration can’t or won’t break through. In pro sports, it often derives from the draft structure: if you’re just good enough to sneak into the playoffs, you probably won’t draft high enough to get true impact players that can elevate you to the next level.

College football has its own stories of the Treadmill of Mediocrity. It feels like Nebraska has cycled through a new coach every nine months since Tom Osborne retired in search of someone who can bring them back to the promised land. On the other hand, Kirk Ferentz is the longest tenured coach in the country even though he has never won an outright Big 10 Championship, last won a share of one in 2004, and his disdain for modern offenses means Iowa will probably never do any better than that. Iowa has seemingly made the decision that winning about 9 games a year is the best they can reasonably hope for and they’re probably not wrong.

As I grew up in Big 10 country, the closest program to my hometown jogged multitudinous miles on its own Treadmill of Mediocrity. I grew up following the Glen Mason-era Minnesota Golden Gophers, which probably explains why I didn’t have a passionate attachment to any FBS team until I got to UW. Mason spent a decade at the head of Minnesota and went 32-48 in conference. How does a coach manage to stay that far under .500 against his peers and keep his job for 10 seasons? Let me explain.

More than anything, the thing that defined Mason’s tenure was his bullheaded aversion to scheduling anything vaguely resembling a competitive non-conference game. My dad and I joked when the schedule was released every year about when the rivalry game against Louisiana-Monroe would fall on the calendar. It was clear that Mason’s goal was to make a bowl game every season. To his credit, he accomplished that goal in seven of his ten seasons. To his even greater discredit, those bowls were the Sun, MicronPC, Music City, and Insight Bowls, and he still managed a losing record in them.

It’s not hard to do the math on how Mason walked this tight-rope. How do you make bowl games almost every year despite winning only two out of every five conference games? You win almost all of your non-conference games. The first time Minnesota made a bowl under Mason, the Gophers beat Ohio, Louisiana-Monroe, and Illinois State to open the year. The next season, it was Ohio (a loss!), Louisiana-Monroe, and a Baylor team in an even more pathetic era. It went on: Toledo, Louisiana-Lafayette, Murray State, Texas State, Toledo, Tulsa, Troy, Illinois State, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kent State, Temple. Several of these teams more than once. These aren’t cherry-picked examples of the worst teams they played; it’s the whole list going into his final season. The only ranked non-conference opponent the Gophers played during the Mason era was #22 Cal in Mason’s last season of 2006. It was a 42-17 defeat.

That 2006 season was a perfect example of the Mason experience. The Gophers beat Kent State, Temple, and North Dakota State (only 10-9 while the Bison were on their way to becoming FCS royalty). They played four ranked opponents and lost all four by an average score of 41-11. They closed the conference schedule with wins over sub-.500 Indiana, Michigan State, and Illinois teams to sneak into the Insight Bowl, where they gave up 44 points in a loss to Graham Harrell’s Texas Tech.

Somewhat surprisingly, that was the last straw for Mason at Minnesota. He was fired and replaced by the even worse Tim Brewster. After Brewster, the Gophers have had Jerry Kill and PJ Fleck. Neither Kill nor Fleck has lit the world on fire, but they both at least built teams that could compete with ranked opponents. Fleck beat #5 Penn State and #9 Auburn in 2019. Kill’s list of signature wins is shorter, but he had a litany of one-score losses to top-10 opponents. Both coaches also have had more of a willingness to schedule “A” games in non-conference rather than trying to cram as many “C” opponents as possible on the docket.

For his career at Minnesota, Mason went 6-30 against ranked opponents. One of the six was against a top-10 opponent, and the 2000 win over Ohio State is probably the signature game of Mason’s tenure. The Buckeyes came into that game at 5-0 and #6 in the country. They went 3-4 the rest of the way and finished unranked. In the end, it was this sort of hopeless non-competitiveness against very good teams that doomed Mason. The final Insight Bowl loss to Texas Tech was a tenth straight season of eking out bowl eligibility without getting any better against good opponents. The Gophers were truly stuck on the Treadmill of Mediocrity.

In Mason’s defense, he took over a moribund program with little hope for success. The Gophers shared the off-campus Metrodome with the Vikings and Twins, which made it hard to build much of a home field atmosphere. His predecessor, Jim Wacker, failed to put up even a .500 record in his five seasons in charge. In fact, the team that had been a national powerhouse from the ‘30s-early ‘60s had been mostly terrible for 25 years before Mason took over. That probably helps explain how Mason got the job after going 47-59 at Kansas and coming off a 4-7 season.

I will also give Mason credit for developing a unique and fun playing style during his tenure. Under Mason, the Gophers routinely featured athletic offensive linemen who could zone block against anyone and multiple running backs who could pile up yards in that scheme. Mason inherited Thomas Hamner and turned him into a 1300-yard rusher in his senior year. Over the following seasons, Tellis Redmon, Marion Barber III, Terry Jackson II, Laurence Maroney, Gary Russell, and Amir Pinnix went over the 1,000-yard mark (Thomas Tapeh also went over 900 one year). As teammates, Barber and Maroney both topped 1,000 yard in consecutive seasons, earning the clumsy nickname “The 4000 Boys” from Mark May. The pair totaled over 2600 yards and 23 TDs in 2004, which is itself a great memory (the team went 7-5, alas). All told, Mason coached more 1,000-yard rushing seasons than he coached seasons at Minnesota.

Mason finished his coaching career 123-121-1. He has worked as an analyst for the Big 10 Network for several years and comes across as a thoughtful, nice person. I genuinely enjoy hearing his analysis amidst the sea of hot takes angling to go viral. If it feels like I’m unfairly dumping on him today, consider it repayment for the hours upon hours- likely well into the hundreds- I spent watching the Gophers lose by 30 to ranked teams just when it seemed like they were on the precipice of a breakthrough. Instead, they never made that progress. They remained on the Treadmill of Mediocrity.

Go Gophers!!

Mason spent a decade at the head of Minnesota and went 32-48 in conference. How does a coach manage to stay that far under .500 against his peers and keep his job for 10 seasons? Let me explain.
I don't disagree with most of the article but this part is pretty lazy. He went 3-13 in his first two years after taking over a bad program and then went 29-35 the last 8 years. Still not good but not as bad as he made it out to be.

Weird axe to grind 20 years later. I'm sure Husky fans can't get enough.
In case the author looks at these comments, be aware that Mason hasn't worked at Big 10 for years.
We need a story on Rick Neuheusel.

Weird axe to grind 20 years later. I'm sure Husky fans can't get enough.
In case the author looks at these comments, be aware that Mason hasn't worked at Big 10 for years.
We need a story on Rick Neuheusel.
i mean i think he's writing articles to the UW fans who probably know next to nothing about the BIG teams that aren't OSU and Michigan, but yeah seems weird to focus on the Mason era which is now an awful long time ago with how much CFB has changed. He should've gone back to the 60s if we're just picking random eras. we would've sounded very formidable then instead of mediocre

Ironic that a good chunk of the article laid out how we never schedule good non-conf. opponents. Predictably the responses are filled with miffed gopherholers, and yet we just had a thread for our upcoming game against Lindenwood. Like, it is what it is, it’s not a personal attack, it’s whatever.

I think the author does have a point in that Mason's teams were entertaining - on offense. Despite a string of average (at best) QB's and inconsistent passing, you could watch the Gophers play every week knowing that there was a very good chance that at least one RB and often two RB's would go over 100 yards.

those of us who watched that era said it more times than I can count - if Mason would have had a better defensive scheme and a little better passing game, those could have been really good teams.

as it was, they were entertaining albeit frustrating teams.

and the public perception of Glen did pull a 180. by the time he left, he had ticked off a lot of fans and boosters. then he became a TV talking head, starting doing segments with Barreiro, and he turned into this avuncular character.

If the current personality version of Glen had been the one coaching the Gophers, he might still be coaching.

I was born in 1980. The first football games I remember were the Gophers in the 1986 Liberty Bowl and Super Bowl XX with the '85 Bears.

After that, the Gophers never made a bowl game again until my freshman year at the U. They continued to make bowl games and suffer some shocking disappointments like 2003 Michigan but running without making any progress seemed like a drastic improvement on the Gophers I had known all my life. At least they were competitive most weeks, had some interesting games, and had some players worth watching.

Ironic that a good chunk of the article laid out how we never scheduled good non-conf. opponents. Predictably the responses are filled with miffed gopherholers, and yet we just had a thread for our upcoming game against Lindenwood. Like, it is what it is, it’s not a personal attack, it’s whatever.
Fixed it for you. This is about 20-25 years ago, not the current situation.

The current nonconference scheduling is significantly better than it was back then. The people complaining in the Lindenwood thread are just people that want every game to be a big game. And it's not realistic. Not everyone plays FCS programs but everyone has "gimme" games.

saying Mason made no progress is ridiculous. The gophers in mason’s era went from a bottom 5 program in the power 6 to a program that fired a coach coming off 5 consecutive bowl games and 7 of 8.
Including winning 3 of those last 5.
Plus two top 20 finishes for a program that hadn’t finished top 20 since they expanded the poll to 20 teams.
Plus two games away from 2 big ten title shares (99 Wisconsin and 03 Michigan)

What followed Mason was perhaps the second worst coach in program history (I would rank Brewster ahead of wacker) and the team has gone to bowls in 12/17 seasons following that inspire of Brewster being terrible.

Mason has more top 25 finishes (2) than every coach post warmath combined (1)

Per Andrew:

The Treadmill of Mediocrity has become a popular phrase in modern sports. It refers to teams that are good enough to rise above the bottom of their league, but not good enough to compete for anything meaningful. It implies a sort of complacency or a glass ceiling that the current roster, coach, or administration can’t or won’t break through. In pro sports, it often derives from the draft structure: if you’re just good enough to sneak into the playoffs, you probably won’t draft high enough to get true impact players that can elevate you to the next level.

College football has its own stories of the Treadmill of Mediocrity. It feels like Nebraska has cycled through a new coach every nine months since Tom Osborne retired in search of someone who can bring them back to the promised land. On the other hand, Kirk Ferentz is the longest tenured coach in the country even though he has never won an outright Big 10 Championship, last won a share of one in 2004, and his disdain for modern offenses means Iowa will probably never do any better than that. Iowa has seemingly made the decision that winning about 9 games a year is the best they can reasonably hope for and they’re probably not wrong.

As I grew up in Big 10 country, the closest program to my hometown jogged multitudinous miles on its own Treadmill of Mediocrity. I grew up following the Glen Mason-era Minnesota Golden Gophers, which probably explains why I didn’t have a passionate attachment to any FBS team until I got to UW. Mason spent a decade at the head of Minnesota and went 32-48 in conference. How does a coach manage to stay that far under .500 against his peers and keep his job for 10 seasons? Let me explain.

More than anything, the thing that defined Mason’s tenure was his bullheaded aversion to scheduling anything vaguely resembling a competitive non-conference game. My dad and I joked when the schedule was released every year about when the rivalry game against Louisiana-Monroe would fall on the calendar. It was clear that Mason’s goal was to make a bowl game every season. To his credit, he accomplished that goal in seven of his ten seasons. To his even greater discredit, those bowls were the Sun, MicronPC, Music City, and Insight Bowls, and he still managed a losing record in them.

It’s not hard to do the math on how Mason walked this tight-rope. How do you make bowl games almost every year despite winning only two out of every five conference games? You win almost all of your non-conference games. The first time Minnesota made a bowl under Mason, the Gophers beat Ohio, Louisiana-Monroe, and Illinois State to open the year. The next season, it was Ohio (a loss!), Louisiana-Monroe, and a Baylor team in an even more pathetic era. It went on: Toledo, Louisiana-Lafayette, Murray State, Texas State, Toledo, Tulsa, Troy, Illinois State, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kent State, Temple. Several of these teams more than once. These aren’t cherry-picked examples of the worst teams they played; it’s the whole list going into his final season. The only ranked non-conference opponent the Gophers played during the Mason era was #22 Cal in Mason’s last season of 2006. It was a 42-17 defeat.

That 2006 season was a perfect example of the Mason experience. The Gophers beat Kent State, Temple, and North Dakota State (only 10-9 while the Bison were on their way to becoming FCS royalty). They played four ranked opponents and lost all four by an average score of 41-11. They closed the conference schedule with wins over sub-.500 Indiana, Michigan State, and Illinois teams to sneak into the Insight Bowl, where they gave up 44 points in a loss to Graham Harrell’s Texas Tech.

Somewhat surprisingly, that was the last straw for Mason at Minnesota. He was fired and replaced by the even worse Tim Brewster. After Brewster, the Gophers have had Jerry Kill and PJ Fleck. Neither Kill nor Fleck has lit the world on fire, but they both at least built teams that could compete with ranked opponents. Fleck beat #5 Penn State and #9 Auburn in 2019. Kill’s list of signature wins is shorter, but he had a litany of one-score losses to top-10 opponents. Both coaches also have had more of a willingness to schedule “A” games in non-conference rather than trying to cram as many “C” opponents as possible on the docket.

For his career at Minnesota, Mason went 6-30 against ranked opponents. One of the six was against a top-10 opponent, and the 2000 win over Ohio State is probably the signature game of Mason’s tenure. The Buckeyes came into that game at 5-0 and #6 in the country. They went 3-4 the rest of the way and finished unranked. In the end, it was this sort of hopeless non-competitiveness against very good teams that doomed Mason. The final Insight Bowl loss to Texas Tech was a tenth straight season of eking out bowl eligibility without getting any better against good opponents. The Gophers were truly stuck on the Treadmill of Mediocrity.

In Mason’s defense, he took over a moribund program with little hope for success. The Gophers shared the off-campus Metrodome with the Vikings and Twins, which made it hard to build much of a home field atmosphere. His predecessor, Jim Wacker, failed to put up even a .500 record in his five seasons in charge. In fact, the team that had been a national powerhouse from the ‘30s-early ‘60s had been mostly terrible for 25 years before Mason took over. That probably helps explain how Mason got the job after going 47-59 at Kansas and coming off a 4-7 season.

I will also give Mason credit for developing a unique and fun playing style during his tenure. Under Mason, the Gophers routinely featured athletic offensive linemen who could zone block against anyone and multiple running backs who could pile up yards in that scheme. Mason inherited Thomas Hamner and turned him into a 1300-yard rusher in his senior year. Over the following seasons, Tellis Redmon, Marion Barber III, Terry Jackson II, Laurence Maroney, Gary Russell, and Amir Pinnix went over the 1,000-yard mark (Thomas Tapeh also went over 900 one year). As teammates, Barber and Maroney both topped 1,000 yard in consecutive seasons, earning the clumsy nickname “The 4000 Boys” from Mark May. The pair totaled over 2600 yards and 23 TDs in 2004, which is itself a great memory (the team went 7-5, alas). All told, Mason coached more 1,000-yard rushing seasons than he coached seasons at Minnesota.

Mason finished his coaching career 123-121-1. He has worked as an analyst for the Big 10 Network for several years and comes across as a thoughtful, nice person. I genuinely enjoy hearing his analysis amidst the sea of hot takes angling to go viral. If it feels like I’m unfairly dumping on him today, consider it repayment for the hours upon hours- likely well into the hundreds- I spent watching the Gophers lose by 30 to ranked teams just when it seemed like they were on the precipice of a breakthrough. Instead, they never made that progress. They remained on the Treadmill of Mediocrity.

Go Gophers!!
Actually, the game that gave the 2006 Gophers their 6th win and bowl eligibility was not against Illinois. It was against Iowa. It was the game in which Drew Tate stomped off the field like Rumpelstiltskin after throwing a terrible goal line interception right to Mike Sherels right before halftime. The irony of it was that Mason won back Floyd but it gave him the opportunity to have that catatastrophic 2nd half in Arizona. If he had lost to Iowa, I do not think a 5-7 season would have gotten him fired.

Per Andrew:

Go Gophers!!
You didn't go back far enough. The Gophers were a solid, winning program prior to 1961. Then something happened that dropped the Gophers to decades of what you describe. No one wants to discuss what happened in 1961.

Attacking the non-conference schedule does not make that much sense. In 2006 the 10-3 Notre Dame team had Army, Navy and Air Force. Michigan in 2006 had Vanderbilt, Central Michigan and Ball State. Ohio State in 2006 had Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, and Ball State. There are some weak teams on every schedule (even for elite programs), for development for only one reason. And yes to ensure that their average years are 10-3 and not 7-6.

Last edited:

Looking back several decades to the Don James’ Rose Bowls Washington has had a turbulent management/coach relationship history that echoes what fans say about administrations undercutting MN. Then the Neuheisil investigation fiasco. Back when the NCAA was selectively tough. Quaint. Another lost decade before Chris Petersen righted the ship and Deboer took it into the harbor.

Last edited:

I liked Mason. He definitely made progress with bad facilities and support. He had a couple close calls that really stunted the program and could never seem to get a consistent defense. That Michigan game will
always haunt me. And the next week against MSU. I think he was pretty close to as good as Fleck.

Waiting breathlessly for an analysis of the Cal Stoll years.
THAT was funny! While I remember Murray Warmath, who was an Assistant Coach at Army with Vince Lombardi under the legendary Earl Blaik before the Gophers, Coach Stoll is the Gopher coach of my boy-to-man phase.

I thought this would have some commentary on something relevant

I liked Mason. He definitely made progress with bad facilities and support. He had a couple close calls that really stunted the program and could never seem to get a consistent defense. That Michigan game will
always haunt me. And the next week against MSU. I think he was pretty close to as good as Fleck.
He was good when he was all in, but the fact that he retired after being fired tells you he was ready to hang it up.

Mason was able to defeat every team in the Big Ten at least once, and I loved watching his offense. His Achilles heel though was his inability to recruit and develop defense so the Gophers were always prone to late game meltdowns. I have never felt worse after a football game than the great Michigan debacle. (The Vikings losing the NFC championship to Atlanta comes close, though!)

With that said his offense and punishing running style that torched even the best rush defenses in the league were a real treat to watch. They would be 3rd and 8 - run the ball and pick up a first down on numerous occasions.

Mason could run the ball because he had the Geordie Shaw as his offensive line coach. None better.

I grew up following the Glen Mason-era Minnesota Golden Gophers, which probably explains why I didn’t have a passionate attachment to any FBS team until I got to UW.
Stupid article.

When did the writer start following Washington that the program was so elevated that it was blowing the doors off the Gophers program since Mason showed up?

Neuheisel had an 11-1 season in 2000, and outside of that, from 1997-2016 (which is when I am assuming the writer began to attend UW), their high-water mark was a 9-4 campaign in 2013 under Sarkisian. Throw in two 8-win seasons through 2015, and I really can't find a stretch of seasons where I see that UW was the far superior program.

After Neuheisel, Gilbertson went 7-16, Willingham went 11-37, Sarkisian went 35-29, and all those records include non-conference games.

Seems like two similar programs to me.

Top Bottom