How should Kill Build a solid Walk On Program

atsgopher

Reaction score
The new walk on reminds me of a discussion I had with several Nebraska fans I’ve encountered about the traditions and level of excitement about entry into the Big Ten.

One thing that struck me is they rave about a tradition at Nebraska for In State Kids to Walk-On and pay their own way regardless of talent level for the good of the program. While I never verified the statement I think that is an ideal state of a walk on program and loyalty to any school.

I know it is not a practical reality at least for now at Minnesota until we develop some in state loyalty. It probably will always just remain an ideal end state.

However, it begs the hypothetical question of what everyone would like to see in the Walk On program. What are expectations and challenges? I am relying on the board’s collective knowledge and expertise to answer. I really have no idea, so I’ll frame it with the following questions:

1) What are the rules for walk ons?
2) What is an ideal program?
3) What is a practical reality for the program?
4) What incremental improvements would you like to see Kill Institute?
5) What knowledge do have of other Big Ten walk on programs?
6) Is there a program you would like to see us model after?

I figure this would be as good as any topic to discuss as Kill builds the Gopher Program.

It will be interesting to watch, especially with the upcoming deep in state 2012 class how Kill operates.
I think with the small team size we have now and will for a few years he can dangle scholarships for committed walk ons, basically show up in the fall, compete like we think you can, and we'll reward your hard work with a schollie. I have no inside knowledge, but I'd be surprised if Trucilla and Heifort weren't told this this spring.
Going forward if he can show a track record of doing things like this, rewarding walk ons with scholarships early or often that will help alot.

Here's the thing; SD, SDSU, ND, NDSU, UNI are all very close to MN, all typically offer scholarships to our walk on candidates. How to solve this? Blowout.

If Kill has the opportunity, he need to put a stop to the bleeding by papercuts these programs have done to the gophers walk on program.
This fall, god willing, devil permitting, whatever deity, If we are up comfortably against the Bison, pour it on. Then never play them again, play FCS teams from wherever if that's what you want to do, but never play these 5 schools again. Not because of Brewster's track record of losing to them, but because they hurt our walk on program immensely.

Make sure any Bison/local FCS recruits/gopher walk on targets understand very clearly that the level of football is not the same in FCS, and that they will not be given a gift performance on Big Ten Network, and they're families will need to drive to North Dakota to watch them play.
If that's what they want, good for them. If they want to play against Big Ten teams, walk on for the Gophers and work your way to a scholarship as Kill has shown is very doable.

My 2 cents.

That is 100% right Ole.

We can't give them program boost of playing on the Big 10 network against us.

That is 100% right Ole.

We can't give them program boost of playing on the Big 10 network against us.

Or letting them beat us, whoops.

Any recruiting success these 5 programs have needs to be largely chalked up to FCS success/exposure directly against us.

Waste them in the fall and end these stupid Dakota games. Play SIU every year for all I care.

Yeah...we can't give these teams a forum or national exposure...much rather play Montana St. or UC Santa Barbara so that we don't screw ourselves in our own back yard...you want to play on Nat'l TV...walk on at the U and earn your scholly in year 2 or 3 through hard work.

Second...make sure that a walk on Jr or Sr is getting a scholly every year so you can point with pride to the success of your program. Good news is...we have exactly that in our recent history...and we need to keep it up.

The interesting thing about the NE walk on program...they rarely elevated a walk on to a scholly...they ahve 10-15 kids every year walk on and pay to play and stay for 5 years because they frickin love that program in that state. Plus they bring a lot of kids from CO and SD and IA and OK as walk ons. I know when my cousin graduated from Spencer, IA in 1986, NE was offering him preferred walk on status...they rolled out the red carpet like he was a 5 star player...he ended playing at Drake for 2 years then going to CO and winning a national championship with them...but that was more family motivated than anything else. NE recruits walk ons same as scholly players.

I love what Kill is doing this year and can't wait to see how it pans out over the next 4-5 years.

It is not really "traditional" for players to walk on at Nebraska, it's just that there are so many kids that dream of playing for Nebraska that they are willing to pay their own way if they must to play for Nebraska. You get that kind of desire by winning, particularly over a long period of time. It also really helps to have the area HS coaches on your side. And having HS players seeing the school colors everywhere really helps.

I think signing MN kids will help your walk-on program. For instance a kid from MN gets a scholarship and another kid in MN played against him or saw him play. He might think he is better and could play at the same level. I know that won't happen much but it might be a thought.

Interesting that Kill has already committed the same number of MN kids for 2012 that he did for 2011 (4).

I meant the guys that committed to him and not Brewster. Olson and Westerhaus he held onto.

In that case, it would be 3, because Brewster recruited Olson, Westerhaus, and Crawford-Tufts initially.

It all comes down to whether Coach Kill can turn the pgm. If a kid thinks he can play here and walks on with a schollie offer if he preforms thats a good carrot for a kid that wants to play at the highest level. If after a yr. or 2 he sees the writing on the wall he can always transfer to ND, SD etc. But if he can turn the pgm. would a kid want to have the chance to play in a BCS bowl or have his bowl game just playing Mn, Neb. etc. Shoot for the best and if it doesn't work out the others will take them with open arms.

Top Bottom