How scheduling will change with the new additions? My guess, flex protect plus with tweaks

Taji34

Reaction score
I think they will try to keep the flex protect scheduling, and just tweak it a little. All 4 west coast teams will become protected rivals with each other to ease travel costs. So my guess for the flex protect setup is as follows (bold is protected, green is a change from the existing):

IllinoisNorthwestern Ohio StatePurdue
IndianaMarylandMichigan StatePurdue
IowaMinnesota Nebraska Wisconsin
MarylandIndianaMichiganRutgers
MichiganMarylandMichigan StateOhio State
Michigan StateIndianaMichiganPenn State
MinnesotaIowaNebraskaWisconsin
NebraskaIowaMinnesotaRutgers
NorthwesternIllinois Ohio StatePurdue
Ohio StateIllinoisMichigan Northwestern
OregonUCLAUSCWashington
Penn StateMichigan StateRutgersWisconsin
PurdueIllinois Indiana Northwestern
RutgersMarylandPenn StateNebraska
UCLAOregonUSCWashington
USCOregon UCLAWashington
WashingtonOregonUCLAUSC
WisconsinIowaMinnesota Penn State

I'm not going to enumerate the home and away games for each team each year, that's too much work. But I think they'll try to keep as much of the work they already did as they can.

When they add 2 more teams, they'll go with 4 divisions of 5 teams.

If FSU opts out of the ACC, then maybe more dominoes fall and we hit 20 or 24 teams very soon.

It was reported on ESPN Radio Friday that the Big10 has already said this would not require a complete rework of the schedule, just some small adjustments. Based on that, then yes, I think they keep the flex plan and for sure all 4 west coast teams will be protected rivals.

If FSU opts out of the ACC, then maybe more dominoes fall and we hit 20 or 24 teams very soon.
I think they stay with the flex schedule with 20 teams.

Because it is more flexible.
Divisions are superior. You can create and maintain regional matchups and rivalries every single year because you're always playing each other for the division title.

Depending on the number of conference games played, at a minimum, you play every within 3 years.

Divisions are superior. You can create and maintain regional matchups and rivalries every single year because you're always playing each other for the division title.

Depending on the number of conference games played, at a minimum, you play every within 3 years.
Meh. It locks you into four annual opponents.

I agree with this but they won’t be divisions.
They’ll be scheduling groups. Top two will go.

You will play your group + another entire group.

Essentially this makes there be two divisions for scheduling purposes but the divisions change every year.

If they go to 24, I think they go 11 game conference schedule.

I agree with this but they won’t be divisions.
They’ll be scheduling groups. Top two will go.

You will play your group + another entire group.

Essentially this makes there be two divisions for scheduling purposes but the divisions change every year.

If they go to 24, I think they go 11 game conference schedule.
I think 11 should be the number, too.

Then everyone can schedule 2 cupcakes or 1 cupcake and an SEC team.

I wouldn't play any Big-12 or ACC team. The idea is to destabilize and eliminate them. So we don’t play those conferences.

Ideally, everything stabilizes right now for a couple seasons while the Big Ten figures out the logistics of operating and traveling within the new conference.

Once they figure it out, they'll be prepared to move to their ultimate goal of 24 teams.

I think 11 should be the number, too.

Then everyone can schedule 2 cupcakes or 1 cupcake and an SEC team.

I wouldn't play any Big-12 or ACC team. The idea is to destabilize and eliminate them. So we don’t play those conferences.

Ideally, everything stabilizes right now for a couple seasons while the Big Ten figures out the logistics of operating and traveling within the new conference.

Once they figure it out, they'll be prepared to move to their ultimate goal of 24 teams.
They play 12 regular season games so 11 conference means one nonconference game.

You want flex protect? This guy will take care of all your worries...
Flex Man
It's removable too!

Top Bottom