How much does CAL win by next week?

Lloyd Braun

Reaction score
an OT win over SYRACUSE because of a boneheaded mistake by a quarterback who hasn't played football in 5 years.

a 7 point win over Air Force in the first game at the new stadium.

Cal is explosive and has been obliterating teams. Ive got a feeling its around a 30 point win for Cal.

A win is a win baby. Ask MSU or Illinois or even OSU. I bet they'd like to be 2-0 right now. Air Force would easily be a middle of the pack B10 team. Get your gad dum chili hot!

Perhaps Cal wins by 30 next week. So what?

Awesome night tonight and a solid win over a good program.

Buzzkill, get the hell off this board. Was it a thing of beauty, no. Did they get the job done in the fourth quarter, yes. I am encouraged by the Defense's play and hopefully the Offense will get on track.

Do I expect to beat Cal? Probably not, as I don't believe that we are a top 10 team. But I AM going to enjoy this evening.

If you're looking for a bunch of people to say "yeah we're going to get crushed next week!" go to a wisconsin board... I understand being realistic and we may very well get blown out of the water but this is niether the time or the place, please save it.

Our defense has been pretty solid since the first half at Syracuse. If we can just get SOME consistent effort from the offense prior to the 4th quarter, I doubt they roll us up. It'll be a tight one, Cal doesn't play even close to as well on the road away from the west coast as they do at home.

Our defense has been pretty solid since the first half at Syracuse. If we can just get SOME consistent effort from the offense prior to the 4th quarter, I doubt they roll us up. It'll be a tight one, Cal doesn't play even close to as well on the road away from the west coast as they do at home.

Unfortunately, Cal will bring a real offense next week with a legit Heisman RB.

California

A win is a win like Art said, but next Saturday will get ugly. California will take us to the woodshed. I want us to win, but it's not going to happen. There would be a greater chance of Elvis raising from the dead then us winning next week.

Unfortunately, Cal will bring a real offense next week with a legit Heisman RB.

Yep, and that's why we'll probably lose. But by 30? I highly doubt it. I'm thinking more like 31-13 type with them pulling away or something like that.

Four quarters of the offense I saw in the fourth quarter and they beat California.

Don't worry...

These guys can't sleep at night until they have pissed in someone's Wheaties.

After seeing how OSU kept up with USC, a win by the Gophers is not out of the question. The Gophers' D will be up for the game. Plus with the new stadium, anything is possible.

Well, the difference between USC and OSU is a fraction compared to Cal and the Gophs. But anything can happen, ask MSU.

I want our Gophers to win, but you guys dream on!

The Gophers have now played the two teams that will be toughest (scheme-wise) to prepare for all season long. I'm not saying it will make Cal preparations any easier because of their speed, but I think we'll be able to prepare for them more effectively than either Syracuse OR Air Force

Save this negativity for mid-week, let's use tonight to celebrate a great game at our brand new stadium!!!!!!!

With the exception of SDSU, they've also played the 2 least talented teams on the schedule. A much better effort will be needed to win any B10 game this year.

an OT win over SYRACUSE because of a boneheaded mistake by a quarterback who hasn't played football in 5 years.

a 7 point win over Air Force in the first game at the new stadium.

Cal is explosive and has been obliterating teams. Ive got a feeling its around a 30 point win for Cal.

this is the lamest thread ever. get over yourself debbie downer. :rolleyes:

My Favorite Part...

Of the prediction that the Gophers will lose by 30 to Cal is that there's simply no reason to even bring it up on this board, unless you're a Troll.

It's obvious that the Gophers could/should lose to Cal, because coming into the game the Golden Bears have more talent, and are highly rated. A couple things to think about, though:

This year, Cal has handily beaten Maryland and Eastern Washington. Coming into this week, the power ratings for these two teams were: Maryland = 62, Eastern Washington = unranked, so they have yet to play a quality opponent.

Shoot, #5 Oklahoma State just lost to Houston, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for the Gophers to beat a top 10 team, especially since we're at home. What'll be the keys?

- Contain Cal's running game, and not give up any big plays
- Avoid stupid penalties on offense that create 2nd or 3rd and 15+ situations
- Run the ball effectively, to extend drives and keep Cal's offense off the field
- Be consistent on offense beginning in the 1st quarter

If the defense is up to the challenge, and if the offense can be more consistent, I could see the Gophers squeaking out a 17-14 or 20-17 upset. However, with as talented as Cal seems to be, I would not be surprised if they win by 21 points.

In the end, the results of the Cal game are less important than the fact that we're playing a top 10 team in the non-conference schedule. This game should be good prep for playing the Big 10, given that we're not going to have to wait 5+ games to play a quality opponent.

No matter what happens vs Cal we'll enter Big 10 play by heading to Northwestern with a 2-1 record, with two games against quality opponents. I feel much better about that than I have in the past when we've entered Big 10 play at 4-0.

Go Gophers!

Lloyd Braun,
Go back to Wisconsin, your previous posts show your true colors. You should be more worried about laying eggs in your own stadium than worrying about us. You talk about Air Force like they are the worst team ever. We might not beat Cal, but I don't need to hear about it tonight, especially from people like you. Good luck with Wofford next week too.

I do agree that playing Syracuse on the road and playing Air Force at home will prepare us for Cal much more then playing our usual pasties in the past non conference schedule. It will also help us that this is Cals first road game of the year. That being said, it's still going to be very tough to beat Cal.

There are several here disappointed with the victory over AF.

Looking at college football this year, other than 1-5 teams, things look unpredictable. The Gophers went on the road and beat a BCS team play in front of a sell-out for a new coach and then came home to the nerves and pressure of a new stadium. Played a difficult team coming off a 72pt shutout and WON!!!.

As long as our offensive line that is completely reconstructed this seaon keeps improving, this team has a chance to get better every week and finish in the top 1/2 of the Big Ten. If the offense doesn't keep improving, the defense will wear down and they will fade again.

Congrats on a nice win and opening the new stadium. The Zoomies are tough so that's a good win.

Cal won big, but looked sloppy especially in the first quarter. Bob Gregory's defenses always start slow and need to make in-game or haltime adjustments. They let EWU hang around too much in the first quarter, but shut them down (42 yards total) in the second half. EWU's lines are small and nimble and some of their schemes gave Cal problems early. Both Maryland and EWU are crappy, but I thought EWU was much better coached than EWU.

Cal didn't need much of a passing game to win, so they didn't throw the ball much and didn't show anything new in the passing game. They do have three extremely fast TBs and Best has barely played 5 quarters in two game. Isi Sofele will surprise. Covaughn Deboskie is a grind 'em out TB like a lot of Big Ten teams have.

Decker scares me. Syd Thompson is an excellent cover guy, but he's small. Not sure if the Bears will go with Thompson on Decker or have Hagan or Conte cover him. Cal's DL is very good and has solid depth.

Should be a very good game and Cal's first test of the season. Was a crappy blah day and the crowd didn't generate much enthusiasm, so it was nice to see the team pound somebody when they weren't supermotivated. They made enough mistakes that the coaches will be on them all week, and there's zero chance they overlook Minnesota or come out flat and uninspired.

I doubt we lose by 30+ points. Will we lose? Probably but look no further than Ok St./Houston yesterday. It can be done.

Top Bottom