How much do we win by if we went for it on 4th and 2?

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score

I'm not mad about the 4th and 2 but if you're not going for it don't run twice in a row before it

I'm not mad about the 4th and 2 but if you're not going for it don't run twice in a row before it
Valid point.
We had a big play on our 2nd play of the game, but our offense was not moving the ball well in the first half.

Indicative of the rest of the game and deflated the whole thing.
We called a timeout to run it on 3rd and ten and then kicked a field goal.
Meanwhile, WI was going for it on fourth.

The biggest problem was our complete inability to run the ball at all.

That goes a little deeper into line play on both sides. We had almost no pressure all game; they had multiple guys unblocked on every play.

An important note we all seem to be forgetting, here. Big Dan went down just two plays prior, and Green picked the wrong hole and got stuffed on the next play. You can argue that we should have still gone for it anyway there, but putting a well-performing D (to that point) back on the field with them deep was probably just as smart as going for it (with risk of failing and starting their momentum)

Of course it would’ve been 40+

Didn’t like the call at all. Whatever Fleck’s reason was not going for it ended up giving the impression the Gophers were looking to just hang around in the game instead of going out to win it.

That goes a little deeper into line play on both sides. We had almost no pressure all game; they had multiple guys unblocked on every play.

Football is usually won and lost on the line of scrimmage and that was the story of this game, just like it was last year in Madison.

I was disappointed when Fleck didn't go for it. Then Wisconsin went for it on 4th down twice. One team was afraid, while the other had nothing to lose. Thoroughly outcoached too. Wisconsin seemed to blitz almost every play, yet I don't even know if we threw one screen to a running back.

I was disappointed when Fleck didn't go for it. Then Wisconsin went for it on 4th down twice. One team was afraid, while the other had nothing to lose. Thoroughly outcoached too. Wisconsin seemed to blitz almost every play, yet I don't even know if we threw one screen to a running back.

Never would have figured to see you here after this game. You're not the only one; there are and will be a few others that have been largely absent for most of this year, but surprisingly reappeared after Iowa and today...

Some coaches coach to win & others coach to not lose. Mason, Brewster, Warmath & Fleck are in the 2nd group.

I think all in all, you get as far as the game will take us. None of the coaches lined up and played today. The players still have to make the plays. I didn't see bad play calls. Really.

How many people would say it cost us the game if we got stuffed on 4th and 2 and Wisky went down and scored?
Green was blown up on 3rd and 2 and our defense had been playing great. I had no problem playing for field position instead of going for it.

Regarding the 4th and 2 punt...

Wasnt GopherHole freaking out last week that they didn’t punt?....and then turned over on downs....and then spent the rest of the day playing catch up

Surely PJ remembered that.

the outcome actually was pretty solid. Held the to 3 for the first 25 minutes or so.

Some coaches coach to win & others coach to not lose. Mason, Brewster, Warmath & Fleck are in the 2nd group.
So you’re blaming a coach that just went 10-2 as playing not to lose?

How many people would say it cost us the game if we got stuffed on 4th and 2 and Wisky went down and scored?
Green was blown up on 3rd and 2 and our defense had been playing great. I had no problem playing for field position instead of going for it.
Problem is you can take your pick of any number of head-scratching play calls. Running on third and ten from midfield to open the second half comes to mind.
MN has to play to win these freaking games, no more effing field position punts from the opponents 35 yard line. We’re not effing Alabama.

Problem is you can take your pick of any number of head-scratching play calls. Running on third and ten from midfield to open the second half comes to mind.
MN has to play to win these freaking games, no more effing field position punts from the opponents 35 yard line. We’re not effing Alabama.
So you really think a few play calls cost us this game? We were beat in the trenches.

A million bazillion? Trillion? Couple hundred? Thousands? Just go for a 4th and 2 once a game and it’s a lock!! And that’s if we just WENT for it!!! Bang head.

Yes we tried going for it against Iowa...that didn’t work either

Not saying it is the reason we lost because when you lose by 21 there are usually multiple things that could have been done better, but I thought the zebras were pretty loose on PI today and that played into wisconsin's hands.

I'm not one to blame officiating, but I do think if they called PI tight it would have been a closer game. Not the only reason we lost. Outplayed in the trenches and out-schemed in the 2nd half for sure.

So you’re blaming a coach that just went 10-2 as playing not to lose?
Exactly. Fleck only plays to win on and off the field. Disappointed in losing today but proud as hell how far and the way he has brought the program this quickly. Hus hands were tied by having to commit so much to stop Taylor from running and that gave up everything else. UW made plays. Now it is on to a very good bowl. Fleck is wired to learn from losing. Take comfort in knowing he will be hard at work tomorrow. Hell, he probably recruited tonight.

Not saying it is the reason we lost because when you lose by 21 there are usually multiple things that could have been done better, but I thought the zebras were pretty loose on PI today and that played into wisconsin's hands.

I'm not one to blame officiating, but I do think if they called PI tight it would have been a closer game. Not the only reason we lost. Outplayed in the trenches and out-schemed in the 2nd half for sure.

Morgan also got hit helmet to helmet a couple times after throws. Should have been roughing. Again not the reason we lost, but the refs seemed to have lost their flags before the game.

Top Bottom