How many wins would Fleck need here to move on elsewhere?

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
I think that he could bail after two nine win seasons. If he's the guy he will be looking to move on quickly.

Again, how many P5 schools lose coaches to other P5 schools? Maybe he would go to the NFL, but I don't think another P5 school. Coyle should be able to get a pretty good buyout. At the end of the day, if he does well enough to leave, we will easily get a good replacement.

How is Fleck if hired going to get two nine win seasons at Minnesota? I thought the program is destined for to go 2-10 / 3-9 for the next decade.

I don't think he'll need many. Beating Wisconsin would probably carry a lot of weight. He's already a hot commodity. If a bigger, better school wants him they'll go after him maybe even after a year or two. Surprised we haven't heard much yet this morning though. Coming up on 10am in MI. If there is a team meeting you'd think it'd of leaked more by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think back to back 8 wins. The rest of the country views this as a s**t show. 16 wins in 2 years gets him a other job.

As I said minutes after Pitino was announced (and similar threads popped up), only at Minnesota are we worried about losing a coach that isn't even here yet. And in this case, hasn't even accepted the offer yet.

Do other schools have this inferiority complex as much as us?

Go Gophers!!

Again, how many P5 schools lose coaches to other P5 schools? Maybe he would go to the NFL, but I don't think another P5 school. Coyle should be able to get a pretty good buyout. At the end of the day, if he does well enough to leave, we will easily get a good replacement.

It does happen - since 2010 I think we've seen it seven times, although three of those were the love triangle between Oregon State, Nebraska and Wisconsin last year.

Mike Riley (Oregon State -> Nebraska)
Gary Andersen (Wisconsin -> Oregon State)
Paul Chryst (Pitt -> Wisconsin)
Charlie Strong (Louisville -> Texas)
Bret Bielema (Wisconsin -> Arkansas)
Todd Graham (Pitt -> Arizona State)
Lane Kiffin (Tennessee -> USC)

If he wins enough for some big school to want him.

I won't mind that problem....

If whoever comes in wins, advances the program on the national stage, you pay for performance. That's about all you can do.

I just hope we find out! I don't give 2 you know whats if he uses the U as a stepping stone. Bring it on! Any coach who can not only have on field success and avoid all the land mines with this job should get a statue built outside The Bank. If he comes in and wins while avoiding scandal, unrealistic expectations and overzealous administrators, let's think about nominating him for sainthood!!! To think a guy would successfully finish up a run as HC here and still be desirable to top schools sounds utopian to me.

It does happen - since 2010 I think we've seen it seven times, although three of those were the love triangle between Oregon State, Nebraska and Wisconsin last year.

Mike Riley (Oregon State -> Nebraska)
Gary Andersen (Wisconsin -> Oregon State)
Paul Chryst (Pitt -> Wisconsin)
Charlie Strong (Louisville -> Texas)
Bret Bielema (Wisconsin -> Arkansas)
Todd Graham (Pitt -> Arizona State)
Lane Kiffin (Tennessee -> USC)

Like you stated most of these have special circumstances. Riley and Graham are likely the only straight up poaches. Gotta think Notre Dame would be only potential candidate for Fleck. Things always change though.

I hope it would be about 100 and he would do that in 10 to 12 years.

As I said minutes after Pitino was announced (and similar threads popped up), only at Minnesota are we worried about losing a coach that isn't even here yet. And in this case, hasn't even accepted the offer yet.

Go Gophers!!

Agree - Guy has not even been hired yet and we have fans speculating about how soon he will be looking to jump ship. As Slab points out as well, if he wins enough that other schools are trying to poach him that would be a good thing because it would mean we are winning a lot.

Crazy thought - Let him get hired and actually have success before stressing about how soon he is going to leave.

A football, men's basketball, or hockey coach has not left here for "greener pastures" in over 30 years. That one took Notre Dame football to do it. Every single coach we have had in those sports has stayed as long as we would have them, or their body could endure. Why does everyone worry about this, especially for a guy who isn't even hired yet?

After the Alvarez and Bielema era the Wisconsin job had become so attractive nationally that they were able to attract....Gary Andersen. Al Golden wouldn't even go there after, at the time, sucking at Miami. Guys, don't overestimate what this program is capable of becoming.

After the Alvarez and Bielema era the Wisconsin job had become so attractive nationally that they were able to attract....Gary Andersen. Al Golden wouldn't even go there after, at the time, sucking at Miami. Guys, don't overestimate what this program is capable of becoming.

That HUGE guy in the other thread said that Fleck was Gopher Jesus and a better version of Urban Meyer.

So. . .maybe you need to start drinking the Kool Aid.

two 9 win seasons

I think that he could bail after two nine win seasons. If he's the guy he will be looking to move on quickly.

That would be an awesome situation to deal with, as opposed to getting a coach after he has health issues, scandal or has 9 loss seasons.

Two 9 win seasons would double the Minnesota's total to FOUR in the past 100 yrs.

My worry is that Fleck has a big enough persona that he could spin a 5 win season into a success. Moreover after working one year with the clowns at Minnesota, he may want to move on.. to anywhere.

As I posted in another thread, hiring Fleck on January 5 would be an enormous hire. Not because he will be great but because it will show Coyle/Kaler actually have a plan and vision for the program. At this point in time, Fleck is far and away the best option for the Gophers.

I cant put my figure on a actual number. But it would be enough that we would pretty much be able to get any non-power 5 head coach we want

My worry is that Fleck has a big enough persona that he could spin a 5 win season into a success. Moreover after working one year with the clowns at Minnesota, he may want to move on.. to anywhere.

As I posted in another thread, hiring Fleck on January 5 would be an enormous hire. Not because he will be great but because it will show Coyle/Kaler actually have a plan and vision for the program. At this point in time, Fleck is far and away the best option for the Gophers.

Not sure anyone can spin a 5 win MN season into something bigger... from 9.

Nine-win seasons get you fired around here, so he'll need to do better than that in his first season.

13 two years in a row. And when that happens MN better pony up and keep him here....

Go Gophers!!

No kidding, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that this was the top thread when I opened GH this morning. People realize buyouts work the other way too right? They can help keep a coach here longer.

As a Badger fan I can definitively say, it happens. But in order for it to happen, the coach has to be successful. But successful programs have an easier time replacing coaches so I wouldn't worry so much about that.

At least 4 or 5 B1G Championships, 2 Natty's minimum....

We should be so lucky as to hire a coach that gets hired as a HC by another school. This should be of 0 concern when making a hire.

Good assessment. That is my take as well. I have no idea whether Fleck would have success at Minnesota but it would be viewed as a big face-saving coup if Kaler/Coyle could land him this quickly. Right now, it would be a big get. However; I would advise us all to remember what Glen Mason said "Lots of AD's are more worried about winning the press conference than winning games."

People on here tell me on occasion that my posts are "cute", to belittle me. Well, I think it's really cute how you macho men think PJ Fleck would come to MN.

Top Bottom