How Many Gophers Transfer? If Pitino is in fact fired like is being reported?

Take off the maroon glasses.

That's this year's team minus Carr and Johnson.

That team doesn't win 4 B1G games.
How many games do you think this team was capable of winning if we had a coach who knew how to devise some sort of game plan and you know, coach? Not sure why its egregious to think we could have the same type of season next year with a new coach. We were way more capable than what we did this year, but maybe less capable at the same time w/Richard at the helm, depends how you want to look at it.

We knocked off three top 15 squads, D is what won us the game in our big wins against OSU and Michigan. Brandon Johnson couldn't hit a 3 to save his life outside of the OSU game. He shot 27% from deep lol. 5-38 outside of his one game where he got warm against Iowa. Ihnen rebounds and plays D just as well, but Johnson is the more efficient player in the paint. No denying that.

Losing a guy who averages 9 and 6 on an 11th place B1G must be a big loss in your eyes. Mashburn is good for 15 next year, not saying he is better as an individual, but offensive game plan and flow can't get worse. The problem isn't with our talent nearly as much as that Richard is a terrible coach.

I assume whoever takes job it'll be a 3-4 year build, I'm not too concerned about next 2 season honestly.

As much as winning big next year would be great, it's just going to be a bonus. I like guys like mash gabe Liam obviously, but like someone said, we are absolutely losing Carr and are in 11th place, its not like we are losing Christian Laettner Grant Hill and Adam Morrison here. Along with that, the new transfer wave makes reshaping a roster far easier. Guessing a new coach would have a pretty easy pitch to guys when he says 30+ minutes at multiple spots are open at a B1G school.

This is so depressing. Who gives a shit about the Twins, Vikings or gopher football. Another 5 year rebuild. Fun!

This is so depressing. Who gives a shit about the Twins, Vikings or gopher football. Another 5 year rebuild. Fun!
always appreciate your optimism

I need to step off the ledge. I think you could build a team around Liam. That’s not happening.

In reallity, even if Richard P had made a 19-8 record and been retained, we lose Carr and probably Johnson and Curry --- so proably a rebuild next year no matter what. Thompson and Pohto are not really needle-movers......

all depends on the coach....if its a Pitino type hire where you missed out on your top targets there will be a few more.

Carr & Curry are gone for sure.
Johnson....if im the new coach im begging him to stay...but maybe he decides hes had enough
And im guessing at least 1 more guys decides to transfer just because even with no coaching change there always seems to be some movement.
Minimum of 3 guys will move on. Maximum of 5. Thats my guess.

And my guess for the guys signed here....Thompson stays no matter what. Pohto im guessing looks elsewhere.

The new coach will certainly want some roster flexibility to bring his type of guys in. So some roster turnover is ok. We arent very good with the pieces we have.
I'm not begging Johnson to stay. Not much of a rebounder.

I'm not begging Johnson to stay. Not much of a rebounder.
that is true....but when you look whats left at the position if he leaves.....hes serviceable. and he battles when he is in there. i suppose begging was a bit aggressive. how about im at least asking and telling him we would like him back.

Maybe the new coach will get something out of Gach. He has been a disappointment this season. Hopefully Liam sticks around. Does anybody remember Mashburn's other scholarship options? Im sure plenty of places would take him but he's more likely to go somewhere that he has a relationship already. Is Roddy a power forward? That would really help the roster if he came with Medved.

Maybe the new coach will get something out of Gach. He has been a disappointment this season. Hopefully Liam sticks around. Does anybody remember Mashburn's other scholarship options? Im sure plenty of places would take him but he's more likely to go somewhere that he has a relationship already. Is Roddy a power forward? That would really help the roster if he came with Medved.
Yeah i gotta believe Gach is better then what he showed this year....if he sticks around im hoping the new coach can get something out of him.
Mash's 247 page showed Cal & Wake Forest as his other final 3.
Roddy is not a power forward. He is a 6'5" wing.

It occurs to me that it'll depend greatly on who's hired and how a player fits the new coach's approach. And then, of course, whether the coach can convince them to stay.

It reminds me of something Pitino said about Ihnen: that they've been trying to get him to play big inside and utilize his height and hops to get rebounds, etc. A new coach might be better at convincing him (requiring him). He could still develop into a nice inside/outside player. From what I've seen of Smith's offense with inside/outside motion, there may be a fit.

Is Roddy a power forward? That would really help the roster if he came with Medved.

He's listed as a guard but his body shape is more along the lines of the slimmed down Charles Barkley during his NBA playing days. He's averaging 16.4 points per game (5th in the MWC) and 9.4 rebounds a game (2nd in MWC). He's not a great 3 point shooter but his .316 average would place him 3rd among our rotational players and it's a big jump forward from the .195 mark of his freshman year. His 2 point FG% of .611 is 2nd in the MWC.

Yeah i gotta believe Gach is better then what he showed this year....if he sticks around im hoping the new coach can get something out of him.
Mash's 247 page showed Cal & Wake Forest as his other final 3.
Roddy is not a power forward. He is a 6'5" wing.
Gach struck me as someone who when i saw him in high school who would always be inefficient.

A new coach will want players that fit his style of play. Craig Smith will want kids who can play defense. Besides Kalschuer and Robbins who else can defend well?

Jarvis Omersa coming back if Pinto stays=0%

Coming back under new coach =20%

A new coach will want players that fit his style of play. Craig Smith will want kids who can play defense. Besides Kalschuer and Robbins who else can defend well?
First off, anybody can defend if motivated too.

These players are NOT motivated to play defense! The defensive philosophy of the entire Pitino era has been to play matador defense up top and try to close out on 3's and let the bigs deal with penetrators. This works fine when you have Reggie Lynch, Oturu or Robbins back there at 100%, but you see what happens since Liam's injury.

Just need a coach who can make these guys work to stay in front of their man on defense.

After last night I could see a lot of transfers out unless we get someone who can re-recruit the guys Pitino has forgotten.

Good games by Tre and Isiah at least.

First off, anybody can defend if motivated too.
There is a little more skill/cerebral to it than I think you are giving it credit for. Being a good defender is not easy even if motivated at higher levels.

These players are NOT motivated to play defense! The defensive philosophy of the entire Pitino era has been to play matador defense up top and try to close out on 3's and let the bigs deal with penetrators. This works fine when you have Reggie Lynch, Oturu or Robbins back there at 100%, but you see what happens since Liam's injury.

Just need a coach who can make these guys work to stay in front of their man on defense.

It was ok/above average under Lynch only and that had to do with the wings more than anything. Coffey, McBrayer, and Springs set a good tone. Otherwise yes they have been awful all of Pitino's tenure on D. I think our next coach needs to have a history of teaching good solid team defense to be successful in our conference.

After last night I could see a lot of transfers out unless we get someone who can re-recruit the guys Pitino has forgotten.

Good games by Tre and Isiah at least.

I think we will have transfers regardless of who comes in or if Pitino leaves. That's going to become/already is a new norm. We just have to trust that our new guy will build a solid culture/foundation and a style of play kids see themselves in.

There is a little more skill/cerebral to it than I think you are giving it credit for. Being a good defender is not easy even if motivated at higher levels.
We are talking about college athletes not scrub HS players. Any decent athlete can be a good defender.

It was ok/above average under Lynch only and that had to do with the wings more than anything. Coffey, McBrayer, and Springs set a good tone. Otherwise yes they have been awful all of Pitino's tenure on D. I think our next coach needs to have a history of teaching good solid team defense to be successful in our conference.
I agree fully.

I think we will have transfers regardless of who comes in or if Pitino leaves. That's going to become/already is a new norm. We just have to trust that our new guy will build a solid culture/foundation and a style of play kids see themselves in.
Too True! Need someone who can recruit the players he can use from the team and draw players from the transfer pool and recruiting to make us competitive. Then coach them up!

People that think this would be a guaranteed long rebuild are mistaken. This is probably the best year EVER to make a change. The transfer market is going to be bigger than ever and the ability to get a waiver is going to be easier than ever. An exciting hire (Musselman couch cough) COULD produce better results immediately.

Not saying I would have high expectations, but I am not going to lose sleep over losing any current players. High chance that we are going to be better off next year with a new coach and a bunch of transfers then if Pitino stayed and we took our current roster into 2021.

I

How many games do you think this team was capable of winning if we had a coach who knew how to devise some sort of game plan and you know, coach? Not sure why its egregious to think we could have the same type of season next year with a new coach. We were way more capable than what we did this year, but maybe less capable at the same time w/Richard at the helm, depends how you want to look at it.

We knocked off three top 15 squads, D is what won us the game in our big wins against OSU and Michigan. Brandon Johnson couldn't hit a 3 to save his life outside of the OSU game. He shot 27% from deep lol. 5-38 outside of his one game where he got warm against Iowa. Ihnen rebounds and plays D just as well, but Johnson is the more efficient player in the paint. No denying that.

Losing a guy who averages 9 and 6 on an 11th place B1G must be a big loss in your eyes. Mashburn is good for 15 next year, not saying he is better as an individual, but offensive game plan and flow can't get worse. The problem isn't with our talent nearly as much as that Richard is a terrible coach.
More than 0 B1G road games to answer your question

If we project the roster on this team as equivalent of a professional team, where players are dropped for lack of production when a season ends and a new season arises. Robbins and Kalcheur would be back for sure, and probably Johnson and Ihnen. The rest of the players would be dropped.

Top Bottom