How many Gopher Football Players

husker70

Reaction score
Can Squat 550 and bench 400? That's what I heard Moose Johnston say that 210 lb Reggie Bush can do. Do we have a back that can do it? Anyone?

i heard deck can bench 400lbs and i know small can get both of those easy! i have to believe we have quite a few that can get that!

I'd be surprised if all the backs were too far from the squat. the bench??

I guess my point if a back can do it, and Small did it. Who in say the offensive line can squat over 500 and bench over 400? Wills?

Oh I get your point. They all should be able to. I wonder where they are at. You can see the improvments on the field and the development year to year in body shape, it would be nice to see some numbers though.

Oh I get your point. They all should be able to. I wonder where they are at. You can see the improvments on the field and the development year to year in body shape, it would be nice to see some numbers though.

Seldom will O-Lineman have huge bench press numbers, you want o-lineman with long arms to keep d-lineman at bay. Long arms are counter productive for a huge amount of weight in the bench press. Linebackers and d-tackles typically have the huge bench numbers.

I guess my point if a back can do it, and Small did it. Who in say the offensive line can squat over 500 and bench over 400? Wills?

I know he's been working hard, but at the beginning of the year Wills couldn't get into a 3-point stance. So I don't know how good he is w/ the squat.

Sportsfan24

Long arms? Without more strength than the defensive lineman you cannot move the dl off the ball even have a chance in pass protection, you would get manhandled by the defense. Your idea of offensive linemen maybe one and the same with the current coaching staff, but its the reason we cannot run the ball or pass protect. We are not strong enough. What is the workout you see every year at the NFL combine? How many reps on the bench with 225 or 250 lbs. Its a joke if a lineman cannot make 20.

I would sooner think the staff values power clean and press as a measure the ability to knock a defender back. And I have written before, that number should be around 400lb. And minimally every 0ffensive lineman should be able to squat 550-600.

a 550 squat is fairly common.....considering you're talking about D-1 football players. I squated 490 at the D-2 level when I weighed 204 lbs. The bench over 400+ is impressive for anybody, especially a skilled position. I would be willing to bet that we have no skilled position players that can do both.....but thats why he's Reggie Bush. We probably have a dozen or so that can do both, and many, many more that hit one of two of those weights.

Long arms? Without more strength than the defensive lineman you cannot move the dl off the ball even have a chance in pass protection, you would get manhandled by the defense. Your idea of offensive linemen maybe one and the same with the current coaching staff, but its the reason we cannot run the ball or pass protect. We are not strong enough. What is the workout you see every year at the NFL combine? How many reps on the bench with 225 or 250 lbs. Its a joke if a lineman cannot make 20.

I would sooner think the staff values power clean and press as a measure the ability to knock a defender back. And I have written before, that number should be around 400lb. And minimally every 0ffensive lineman should be able to squat 550-600.

You're right on here! The power clean measures explosiveness, technique, upper and lower body strength, as well as balance and coordination. Much better tool to measure athleticism.

Can Squat 550 and bench 400? That's what I heard Moose Johnston say that 210 lb Reggie Bush can do. Do we have a back that can do it? Anyone?

i doubt that bush could do that when he was in college.

from what i have heard burris is the one of the strongest guys on the team. i have always liked burris, he is fast and very powerful and he played very well at center for a guard. i wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at center next year.

Those numbers would be rediculous for a RB to have. Not saying that I wouldnt mind if we had a couple, but like a poster said up above - that is why he is Reggie Bush. It would be interesting to see what his numbers were in college.

Since this was an in-game comment and likely came from Bush himself in a coloquial conversation with Johnston, you can bet it's more likely around 490 and probably 325. If you could slip Reggie another $100K through a booster, he will squat 600 and bench 500...

First I like your take on Bush, but the comment came from a conversation Johnston had with Heath Evans about Bush and the idea he was a one trick pony sprinting to the cones. Evans was the source of the information and some advice to Bush to be more physical and run inside with the strength he has. It was about a minute later and well you saw it.

First I like your take on Bush, but the comment came from a conversation Johnston had with Heath Evans about Bush and the idea he was a one trick pony sprinting to the cones. Evans was the source of the information and some advice to Bush to be more physical and run inside with the strength he has. It was about a minute later and well you saw it.

Not to keep this going, but Heath Evans ain't much of a source--it's info he's giving to try and get into the heads of opponents, not to inform fans. Bush could say that Evans could squat 2000 and bench 1000, and Johnston would just nod his head and ask another question...

As not much of a weight lifting guy allow me to ask a question or two.

Do we ever release info like this? Or is it only the kind of stuff that comes out at the NFL combine?
By position what should our players be able to squat/press/lift/ whathave you?

I would bet that Bush couldn't do that much in college. For a college athlete, squatting 550 is pretty common. I was 5'8", 175 lbs in college and could squat 410. I think my highest on bench was around 250 but I really didn't care about the bench press. Even for OL, it's pretty overrated. The power clean is much more important for athletes.

Squatting 550 just isn't a big deal even at the DIII level, and benching 400 isn't really world-shattering either. Bush is strong, obviously, but this isn't news..

Those are nice numbers, but not wow numbers. You'll find high school kids that get close to those fairly routinely. I would imagine just about any division 1 roster in the country is littered with guys who can.

thanks for the link husker. it would be interesting to see the gophers post something similar.

Nose around the site and you can look at 10 yard times, squats, 40 yard times. These are Nebraska Records.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=183&SPID=41&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=28377

Why doesn't gophersports.com have a link like that?

My guess is that there is nothing much to be proud about. The schools that publish those stats are usually the schools with weight room monsters on the roster (or the schools that like to stretch the truth -- Florida). I would guess that if the Gophers published that kind of stuff it would not be a pretty sight. I have always wondered why there wasn't more questioning of the S&C coach after the debacle of 2008. In fact it seems that this team does terrible in the late season. That might be directly attributed to S&C.

My guess is that there is nothing much to be proud about. The schools that publish those stats are usually the schools with weight room monsters on the roster (or the schools that like to stretch the truth -- Florida). I would guess that if the Gophers published that kind of stuff it would not be a pretty sight. I have always wondered why there wasn't more questioning of the S&C coach after the debacle of 2008. In fact it seems that this team does terrible in the late season. That might be directly attributed to S&C.

Maybe if those stats were published, it would motivate some players to put more time into it.

Opening can of worms.
I wonder if steroid use is part of the reason some schools do very well in the weight room. It's a fact that using even small amounts of steroids can produce noticeable results. Could some schools look the other way more than others?
Closing can of worms.

Maybe if those stats were published, it would motivate some players to put more time into it.

Opening can of worms.
I wonder if steroid use is part of the reason some schools do very well in the weight room. It's a fact that using even small amounts of steroids can produce noticeable results. Could some schools look the other way more than others?
Closing can of worms.

I was thinking about that too. From the Nebraska link, Keven Lightner set the school record squatting 756 lbs, second place is about a 100 pounds less. He did it in 1987. Not saying the dude was definitely on roids, but if it's got massive muscles, small testicles and is from the late 80's...

Top Bottom