How long before football completely splits off and stops paying for the non-revenue sports?

SeaBee_Gopher

Reaction score
Long term, I just can't see flying all the non-rev athletes all over the country when plenty of D-I athletes are closer by. These new conferences are not being formed to optimize opportunities for non-rev sports. These are football centered decisions. Plus, it seems highly probable that football players will continue to fight for and win more and more revenue sharing which will decrease the amount of money available to support non-rev programs.

Like College Hockey I can see football being it's own beast and then all the other sports competing in more regional conferences and alignments. Like all our state schools in Minnesota who play up for D-1 Hockey the rest of their sports are still in the regional conferences.

Everything has gotten expensive even in college sports. When is the breaking point?

Why have football (and basketball) even associated with the colleges. They're headed for pro status. Might as well kill all vestiges of them being student activities. Pay the players, eliminate academic requirements and longevity restrictions. At least for D1 teams. Let's boldly burst forward into the meretricious world of pro sports and the hell with academics.

License the school names and mascots. The idea of student athletics died long ago.

Criminy, Hartman has come back to life!!
He moaned about Title 1X for the latter part of his long life.
!X is not going away, ever, never so think about something else to worry about.

Like College Hockey I can see football being it's own beast and then all the other sports competing in more regional conferences and alignments. Like all our state schools in Minnesota who play up for D-1 Hockey the rest of their sports are still in the regional conferences.
I agree, Football and Basketball will follow the existing conference structure, that's what the TV contracts are paying for. Some regions will include Hockey while others will include Baseball where you can play up.

Womens side will be Volleyball and Basketball with Hockey or Softball being the playup sports.

The rest should be regional, not even sure scholarships make sense for the non revenue sports.

Non-football sports should be in conferences without football. There are plenty of such conferences that work very well. Big East, Big West, A10, MVC, Summit League, etc.

They should be 8-12 schools that are contained in a region. None of this cross-country crap.

Fine for football, let that be a separate deal. Like (some) hockey confs.

Seems like many of us are on the same page. Most non-rev sports should and there is a good chance eventually are regional.

How Title IX eventually plays into all this is a big wild card and might prevent football from spinning off. Ruthless, efficient capitalism meets politics! I have no idea how this all turns out!

Seems like many of us are on the same page. Most non-rev sports should and there is a good chance eventually are regional.

How Title IX eventually plays into all this is a big wild card and might prevent football from spinning off. Ruthless, efficient capitalism meets politics! I have no idea how this all turns out!
Unfortunately, I think it even gets crazier. You already have FIFA subsidizing women’s athletics over a lie a handful of people kept repeating.

I think college football will continue to fund the non-revenue generating sports and I think it gets crazier. I don’t think we’re that far off from the women’s basketball coach’s salary having to match the men’s and other crazy stuff like that.

What you’re saying makes sense but these types can’t be reasoned with any sort of logic, they double and triple down on lunacy,

Last edited:

College football "splitting off" wouldn't have anything to do with the idea that all football money would be shielded into a special silo that couldn't be touched by any other sport and/or the athletic dept in general.

It's quite simply that football would have its own conferences. Like (some) hockey conferences operate.

No college sport is ever going to be able to completely wall off/shield its revenue as an independent entity.

It's always going to get dumped into the big bucket called the Athletic Department. It's just that, as it already is, football happens to be the vast majority of the dollars getting dumped into it.

I love that not once has the word “education” been mentioned in this string!😜.

The non-FBS divisions already have several football vs. non-football affiliate conferences, and then there's hockey which its own animal. Right now, the BIG and SEC have all the power and they require member schools to field a certain number of teams.

To the OP, football will continue to fund athletic programs but that doesn't mean the conferences won't loosen their grip on non-revenue sports. It makes too much sense especially now that west coast teams have been thrown in with east coast. It probably depends how much money the conference TV networks like BTN and SEC/ESPN make on non-revenue sports.

Here's how you put a stop to the silliness real quick: NCAA (and/or Congress) mandated rules for DI that any student-athlete travel to a competition which is more than X miles and/or Y hours by plane, must be by Chartered plane. Cannot fly commercial.

Start racking up those bills for women's soccer, volleyball, basketball, lacrosse, track, swimming, etc. and watch them push over small children to run over and put a stop to it.

It's fine under the following conditions:
- the sport makes enough money to pay for such extravagant travel, and
- regular season competitions can take place solely over weekends.

You start talking about flying Stanford women's soccer to play at Boston College in the middle of the week? WTF??!

Top Bottom