How is (will) this season impact recruiting?

seems like it hasn't yet, keep reading about all these kids going to Iowa.
What the hell is in Iowa?

IMO the last major bowl game(1/1/2015) influenced our 2016 recruiting class that is this year's senior class. Carter Coughlin did a great job selling this program to other recruits, but going to a New Year's day bowl after the 2014 season created that excitement that helped seal the deal with recruits who committed in 2015 to start in 2016.

So we may not see the true impact until the 2021 season of how well the recruiting goes post season of this year because most of the spots for 2020 are already filled.

All the exposure the program is getting on the National stage can’t be seen as anything but a positive for recruiting.

Just need to start getting guys to campus for visits...there are plenty of big time recruits in the upper Midwest so using things like weather as an excuse won't work. I think we're still going to be well behind Michigan, Penn St, and Ohio St and to a lesser degree Wisonsin, Michigan St, and maybe Nebraska.

It’ll help, but it will take sustained success to start out recruiting the 2nd tier of the B1G behind PSU, OSU, and UM.

seems like it hasn't yet, keep reading about all these kids going to Iowa.
What the hell is in Iowa?
Kid going to Iowa from EP grew up in Iowa and only moved to Minnesota when his dad got a job transfer up here a couple years back. Not like has any ties to the area other than that, so him signing with them makes sense.

Justice Sullivan I can understand committing to Iowa where he is from. Riley Mahlman committing early to Wisconsin is a mystery to me. These are the top two in the 2021 recruiting class.

That is okay because IMHO P.J. Fleck will find just as good or even better replacements nationally who want to be a Gopher.

Positive impact, but a lot depends on how we do from here. If we get crushed by Wisconsin or OSU or our bowl opponent, a lot of luster will be lost.

I dont think 1 season will make a difference. I do think players will see us as a program on the rise. Sustained success will change the prospect ratings

I think it can only help, but who knows the impact.
It's hard enough to measure how good kids are in the first place.
Measuring the impact would be difficult.

It will make a difference in the following ways:
1) secure our 2020 class, plus maybe an unexpected surprise or two.
2) 2021 class should show a significant up tick as compared to previous Gopher recruiting classes. We should get closer to Wisconsin, catch up to Nebraska and Iowa, and recruit better than everyone else in the B1G West. To early to worry about teams in the East.
3) Beyond the 2021 class, it will have a positive impact, but we need to wait until how next season Plays out to draw any conclusions.

Depending on what happens with the various NLI legal battles shaping up this season could be the beginnings of something good or we could be headed to a scenario where it makes more sense for boosters to pool their money to pull in the croots and the staff and NFL development angles which are paramount now becomes sort of a cherry on top to the $$ available via NLI negotiations/deals with third parties and potentially conferences.

22 confirmed recruits and many more big names attending tomorrow, per Burns

This is how the big boys do it.

The key to good recruiting is to show the recruits that if they chose your school they will be at the center of the college football universe, that they will be part of something special and relevant.

Saturday checks the box on this list.
1) Center of the college football universe- We have College GameDay and an intense crowd while they are here. Check

2) Part of something special - 10-1 for the first time since 1905 = rebuilding the U into a national powerhouse. Check

3) Part of something relevent - playing for the Axe, B1G West title, trip to Indy for the B1G championship game. Check.

Regardless of the outcome, the fact that they will simply be in attendance for this game will sell a lot of the targets on Minnesota.

Last edited:

Justice Sullivan I can understand committing to Iowa where he is from. Riley Mahlman committing early to Wisconsin is a mystery to me. These are the top two in the 2021 recruiting class.

That is okay because IMHO P.J. Fleck will find just as good or even better replacements nationally who want to be a Gopher.
This is why I’m glad this state doesn’t have much for top recruits. These losers don’t wanna play for there hometown school anyways... better having next to no talent leaving than a bunch of talent leaving this state consistently and getting the Mac level scraps

I’m thinking it should look great to WRs seeing what Johnson and Bateman are doing. Plus seeing Morgan has two more years, they’d have a qb that could get them the ball.

The seeds have been sowed already and with Saturdays moisture an Elite harvest of talented players will continue to grow. They will come running and rowing to fill their plates eating that Gopher stew. I expect a BIG win this Saturday against Wisconsin. Minnesotans would be so Thankful. My guess with all this exposure and success we are having will be nothing short of a National Championship...……...…………. AGAIN

Top Bottom