How is this for a solution if necessary?

Rog

Reaction score
I don't say this because I want what has happened.. I want Kill to be healthy and be our head coach. However, if this doesn't work out, what then.

Hiring a new coach, well . his will set the program back (you guess) may years.

Recruiting for this year, well, be prepared for the worse.

MY Suggestion to Teague.

Create a position of "Assistant AD in charge of "Football Operations".. Duties to be defined but helping in recruiting is necessary.
What this would do is give the program continuity. With his relationship with his present staff, I'm sure they would accept this, work with him, and Kill's
input to the program would be at his pace, with minimal disruption.

OK tear it apart, which is what happens usually in this forum (which is OK)

I don't say this because I want what has happened.. I want Kill to be healthy and be our head coach. However, if this doesn't work out, what then.

Hiring a new coach, well . his will set the program back (you guess) may years.

Recruiting for this year, well, be prepared for the worse.

MY Suggestion to Teague.

Create a position of "Assistant AD in charge of "Football Operations".. Duties to be defined but helping in recruiting is necessary.
What this would do is give the program continuity. With his relationship with his present staff, I'm sure they would accept this, work with him, and Kill's
input to the program would be at his pace, with minimal disruption.

OK tear it apart, which is what happens usually in this forum (which is OK)

So in your scenario Claeys becomes the permanent head coach?

If that is what you are proposing it will never happen. If Kill can't come back, NT will hire a new coach who will hire his own staff and we will start again from there.

If that is what you are proposing it will never happen. If Kill can't come back, NT will hire a new coach who will hire his own staff and we will start again from there.

+1 on this.

If Kill did need to step down, this actually would be the best year recruiting-wise because its such a small class anyway. We don't want to be replacing a coach 2 years from now when we will be signing closer to 30.

This is a dumb thread. First of all, we wait to see what Kill decides and how things go in the future with the program. That said, I'll contribute to the stupidity: This is highly unlikely but if Claeys & Co. wins four or five out of the next six as well as a bowl game, he would not be considered for head coach IF Kill decides not to return for whatever reason?

This is a dumb thread. First of all, we wait to see what Kill decides and how things go in the future with the program. That said, I'll contribute to the stupidity: This is highly unlikely but if Claeys & Co. wins four or five out of the next six as well as a bowl game, he would not be considered for head coach IF Kill decides not to return for whatever reason?

How many games did Jeff Horton win after Brew got canned mid-season? He never got a sniff in coaching search after the season?

I don't see Jerry accepting a "director" role. He's said all along his favorite part about being a coach is teaching the kids, shaping them into fine young men, and building the program. He likes the every day roles that come with being the head football coach. He likes interacting with the kids. If Kill can't coach football he'll retire. I don't see him being a fit for a "director" or "assistant AD" type role.

Aside from being a silly idea, this would never work because recruiting can only be done by the head coach, 9 assistants, recruiting coordinator, and GAs. You can't have random people in the athletic administration recruiting for you.

Aside from being a silly idea, this would never work because recruiting can only be done by the head coach, 9 assistants, recruiting coordinator, and GAs. You can't have random people in the athletic administration recruiting for you.

It depends how you define recruiting? If you're talking about direct contact with players, yes there are limits. However, some programs(Alabama for one) have many people that do recruiting types of tasks on the back office side, such as reviewing tapes, creating communication and marketing materials etc..

shark sandwich spinal tap ref

Great. minny gets another bite of the shark sandwich because of course we do.

It depends how you define recruiting? If you're talking about direct contact with players, yes there are limits. However, some programs(Alabama for one) have many people that do recruiting types of tasks on the back office side, such as reviewing tapes, creating communication and marketing materials etc..

So we'd have an AD that does film room work on the side? That makes no sense.

Please show me where I said Kill was a good fit for this or this is a good job for an AD?

Do people even pay attention to what they write here?

The post you referred to was this:

Your response was:

In a thread discussing a "solution if necessary" regarding Coach Kill, what other reasonable conclusion could any reader reach, other than you suggesting that Kill fill these duties? You never said anything about an AD filling those duties, but don't debate semantics about your own friggin' posts.

I like this idea, installing Glen Mason as the head coach.

(ok, now tear my thread up)

I like this idea, installing Glen Mason as the head coach.

(ok, now tear my thread up)

Sorry, I puked in my mouth a little. Did he all the sudden decide to become a hard worker? I loved the Mason years as a fan, the Gophers are my team, but it was time to go, and it is still time to be gone.

Sorry, I puked in my mouth a little. Did he all the sudden decide to become a hard worker? I loved the Mason years as a fan, the Gophers are my team, but it was time to go, and it is still time to be gone.

+1, and of course, Souhan went there (Mason) today (I didn't click on the article, but do get the print version).

Do people even pay attention to what they write here?

The post you referred to was this:

Your response was:

In a thread discussing a "solution if necessary" regarding Coach Kill, what other reasonable conclusion could any reader reach, other than you suggesting that Kill fill these duties? You never said anything about an AD filling those duties, but don't debate semantics about your own friggin' posts.

Never once did I mention Kill for this job. I was just clarifying the rules and limitations on the number of people that can be involved in recruiting and the limits on their responsibilities. Don't get mad that your reading comprehension is poor and you jumped to conclusions because of it.

People have really jumped on this phrase the last few weeks, and use it when they know they are wrong.

I see you choose to use deflection when you are wrong. It is okay to admit you are wrong, I couldn't possibly think less of you than I already do.

I see you choose to use deflection when you are wrong. It is okay to admit you are wrong, I couldn't possibly think less of you than I already do.

Words hurt.

Yours don't. And I would freely admit being wrong if I felt I was wrong. In this case, I do not.

Top Bottom