How is Matt Campbell doing it? 4 preseason All-Americans...at Iowa State?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Sure, it's a preseason list. Dismiss it as much as you like. And sure, it's just one list among many.

But Iowa State has four players on the top two USA Today preseason All-America teams (three on the first team), which ties Ohio State for the most of any school on this list. Alabama has three.

The biggest thing to me - these aren't elite recruits, by any means. These are the types of guys that the Gophers get every year, for the most part. Hall is the one that's more of an exception, but still hardly elite, judging by who he visited (not necessarily who offered, since these days you never know how "legit" an offer is).

First team:
https://247sports.com/Player/Breece-Hall-46050232/TimelineEvents/

https://247sports.com/Player/Charlie-Kolar-88683/TimelineEvents/

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Rose-46045437/TimelineEvents/

Second team:
https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Eisworth-76932/TimelineEvents/

So, how is he doing this??

Can he see something that no one else can see? Is he "coaching them up" better than anyone else knows how to? Something else? Combination of all factors?

Combo platter of being a good evaluator and dumb luck I'd guess.
I would add a nod to development as well but yeah, there is no magic formula and great players don't always have 4 or 5* next to their name coming out of high school.

Campbell has done a solid job at ISU and has so far resisted the temptation to jump ship for the more shiny programs.

None of these guys project as 1st or 2nd round picks from the (few, early, probably way off) mock drafts for 2022. So maybe it's coaching 'em up. Or maybe Iowa State is overrated.

In that skim I did see sites getting on the Faalele as a 1st rounder bandwagon. Walter Football had him #20 overall.

I've said it before, I wanted us to Hire Campbell instead of Claeys, but we had an interim HC

Perfectly happy with Fleck, but Campbell is doing at IS what is he doing at Toledo. Many big name recruits had early offers from Toledo, he's got an eye for talent

As an Gopher/Iowa State Fan its a combination of early evaluation and development. All of the guys on these lists are seniors or super seniors and have been starters for dang near all of their careers. Iowa State is a top 15 team this year because of the seniority of the team and how they all were forced into early development and pressure. This season is the culmination of that work and these guys are getting recognized for it.

Sure, it's a preseason list. Dismiss it as much as you like. And sure, it's just one list among many.

But Iowa State has four players on the top two USA Today preseason All-America teams (three on the first team), which ties Ohio State for the most of any school on this list. Alabama has three.

The biggest thing to me - these aren't elite recruits, by any means. These are the types of guys that the Gophers get every year, for the most part. Hall is the one that's more of an exception, but still hardly elite, judging by who he visited (not necessarily who offered, since these days you never know how "legit" an offer is).

First team:
https://247sports.com/Player/Breece-Hall-46050232/TimelineEvents/

https://247sports.com/Player/Charlie-Kolar-88683/TimelineEvents/

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Rose-46045437/TimelineEvents/

Second team:
https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Eisworth-76932/TimelineEvents/

So, how is he doing this??

Can he see something that no one else can see? Is he "coaching them up" better than anyone else knows how to? Something else? Combination of all factors?
How many accounts do you have on the ISU football message board? 😃

Last edited:

As an Gopher/Iowa State Fan its a combination of early evaluation and development. All of the guys on these lists are seniors or super seniors and have been starters for dang near all of their careers. Iowa State is a top 15 team this year because of the seniority of the team and how they all were forced into early development and pressure. This season is the culmination of that work and these guys are getting recognized for it.
And Campball had some "dumb luck" with Texas being down and playing in a conference that doesn't play defense. Just look at the history of the CFP and the Big 12's involvement. That will tell you what people think of football in that conference.

And ISU benefitted GREATLY from other P5s Covid interrupted seasons in 2020.

And Campball had some "dumb luck" with Texas being down and playing in a conference that doesn't play defense. Just look at the history of the CFP and the Big 12's involvement. That will tell you what people think of football in that conference.

And ISU benefitted GREATLY from other P5s Covid interrupted seasons in 2020.
Yeah I'm not going to get into talking about the merits of Campbell. Chalking it up to dumb luck is a simplification that has no merits in responding to. When you look at the history of ISU football saying what Campbell has done in his time there is more than just dumb luck.

Yeah I'm not going to get into talking about the merits of Campbell. Chalking it up to dumb luck is a simplification that has no merits in responding to. When you look at the history of ISU football saying what Campbell has done in his time there is more than just dumb luck.
It's interesting to me how incredibly similar the origins and trajectories of Campbell and Fleck were, and how similar their landing spots were, being lower half P5 schools that generally recruited 3* players, to then compare where both are at now.

I don't think you would disagree that playing in the Big XII, as opposed to the Big Ten (West), is part of the reason that Campbell has surged ahead as of last year. Would also guess that you would agree Fleck was ahead after 2019, but that Campbell has clearly taken that back after 2020 and has much better momentum headed into 21.

Will be interesting to see what happens with both this year.

Also hope Iowa State somehow secures a soft landing from the realignment mess. Would love to have them in the Big Ten personally, but that seems unlikely unless Iowa state politicians/federal representatives can pull off a massive power play. Heard anything on that? Feel free to DM or share here

Last edited:

Also of sad note: both are 0-4 against Iowa. (CyHawk was cancelled in 2020 due to Big Ten being conf-only)

May they both crush the pigs and sent Ferentz into retirement!

It's interesting to me how incredibly similar the origins and trajectories of Campbell and Fleck were, and how similar their landing spots were, being lower half P5 schools that generally recruited 3* players, to then compare where both are at now.

I don't think you would disagree that playing in the Big XII, as opposed to the Big Ten (West), is part of the reason that Campbell has surged ahead as of last year. Would also guess that you would agree Fleck was ahead after 2019, but that Campbell has clearly took that back after 2020 and has much better momentum headed into 21.

Will be interesting to see what happens with both this year.

Also hope Iowa State somehow secures a soft landing from the realignment mess. Would love to have them in the Big Ten personally, but that seems unlikely unless Iowa state politicians/federal representatives can pull off a massive power play. Heard anything on that? Feel free to DM, or share here (don't bother me at all).
Yes, I agree with the majority of this sentiment. Both teams are primed to produce this season. The biggest question mark for both schools is what is the continued success or regression level for either program after this year.

Yes it is my desire to join the Big Ten being an AAU school is my last ditch hope. I care more about adding teams based on regionality and ability to increase fan intensity than I do about adding schools with more football name recognition but have no relation to Big Ten Schools. ISU and Kansas would be my additions. Also, I wouldn't bet against Jamie Pollard (ISU AD) but it would be devastating to end up in AAC if and when the big 12 explodes.

ISU got a jumpstart on the Pac12/B1G teams last year as far as rankings and such. That was a huge advantage. Then... they didn't even play the best Pac12 team in the Fiesta Bowl. While you can credit ISU for using that to their advantage, I will bet any amount of $$$ that if all P5 teams played a full schedule last year, ISU is nowhere to be found in the top 10 by season's end.

They had everyone return for the extra season from Covid. That's an incredible run of good luck.

So, to summarize... dumb luck=good luck.

BTW: Go Gophers.

Top Bottom