How good of a runner is Athan?

unless the Gophers have really retooled the offense, I don't expect to see a lot of designed QB runs.

I think Athan is athletic enough to move around in the pocket, and if flushed out of the pocket, is capable of running for some positive yardage. at least more so than Morgan.

But I would be surprised if we see more than 2 or 3 designed QB runs a game. most of his running yardage will be scrambles and busted plays.

3.5X better vs. Morgan.
To be fair, my 93 year old grandma is faster than Morgan

unless the Gophers have really retooled the offense, I don't expect to see a lot of designed QB runs.

I think Athan is athletic enough to move around in the pocket, and if flushed out of the pocket, is capable of running for some positive yardage. at least more so than Morgan.

But I would be surprised if we see more than 2 or 3 designed QB runs a game. most of his running yardage will be scrambles and busted plays.
I would expect him to keep the ball more than Morgan did when he sees the DE out of position.

To be fair, I'm not sure Tanner could outrun Bernie Kosar, so lets say that there is the potential for AK on designed runs once in awhile.

AFAIK AK has not finished three games since 2019 due to injury - during and after high school; back contusion then broken collarbone in 2019, and lower leg injury after being hit in the pocket in 2022. Perish the thought but the injury gods seem to have him circled. The injury rate on NFL sacks resulting in lost time, eg is around 1.4%. Hopefully the law of averages kick in.

At this point we should hope he evolves into as efficient a passer as TM, with the nice wheels a secondary and rarely used weapon to move the chains as needed.

It will all be based on offense philosophy and coaching. I just don't see us trying to become a QB running more than we already do team. Because of that he will become less comfortable doing it and over time, people will say he is slow.

Agree...and even retooled, it won't have many designed QB run plays.

Top Bottom