How Good is New Gophers QB Max Brosmer?

Morgan was the 2nd best QB in the Big Ten in 2019 (behind Justin Fields). So you think that is what should be the floor? I mean...I would absolutely love that but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

It's not remotely realistic. Not every single season. Anyone who thinks that way is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Morgan was the 2nd best QB in the Big Ten in 2019 (behind Justin Fields). So you think that is what should be the floor? I mean...I would absolutely love that but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

went back and looked at the stats. I did not realize that Morgan's numbers were that good compared to other B1G QB's. so that might be setting the bar a little high.

--compared to all FBS QB's, Morgan was 24th in total yds and tied for 15th in TD's--

but I still think that Gopher fans should not settle for average or below-average QB play. because that seems to be the mind-set: "we're a running team, we don't need great QB play, just be a good game manager and complete a pass every now and then."

Michigan was a run-first team and their QB just got picked in the 1st round of the NFL draft. It's not against the rules to be a good running team and also have a high level of QB play. that's what I'm saying. and BTW, a high level of QB play will enhance the running game.

went back and looked at the stats. I did not realize that Morgan's numbers were that good compared to other B1G QB's. so that might be setting the bar a little high.

--compared to all FBS QB's, Morgan was 24th in total yds and tied for 15th in TD's--

but I still think that Gopher fans should not settle for average or below-average QB play. because that seems to be the mind-set: "we're a running team, we don't need great QB play, just be a good game manager and complete a pass every now and then."

Michigan was a run-first team and their QB just got picked in the 1st round of the NFL draft. It's not against the rules to be a good running team and also have a high level of QB play. that's what I'm saying. and BTW, a high level of QB play will enhance the running game.
2022 Morgan had a QB rating of around 151. That would have been 3rd best in the Big Ten last year. If we can get something like that out of Brosmer I think we're in really good shape.

I can tell you that I did not think that AK was an upgrade over TM. AK was not capable of placing a ball as accurately, as quickly, with as much touch as that clip above. That pass alone would have won the game against Northwestern.
I had the blinders on coming into last season due to the Wisconsin win to end the previous season. By the time I saw the third AK fastball special against Nebby, I was legit concerned about the season on offense. Then the defense happened to collapse. What a bummer last year was

Nobody is willing to settle for below average QB play.

You mentioned Morgan's total yards and total number of TDs. Those are stats based on quantity, rather than quality. A QB who plays for a team that passes more frequently than Minnesota does will obviously have more attempts, more completions, more yards, more TD passes.

What I'm talking about is running the Minnesota FleckBall offense more effectively, the way it is designed to be run, rather than simply piling up passing stats.

Granted, there are many fans who hate FleckBall and its ball control/clock control emphasis. Maybe that's the main issue for you, SON.

Nope. That's why I said "I am just wondering if......."

We can dig up the posts if you want, but it was "explained" to me that those WR transfers were "different" than past WR transfers and I was even told "WR is going from a weakness to a strength" on the team. 🤷‍♂️

Let's hope Brosmer comes closer to expectations.
Will be interesting to see how Spencer does this year. He was a disappointment last year but it is tough to truly grade the WR with the subpar play we got from our QB.

Hopefully we get to see a competent passing game again...has been a few years since we have had one of those.

Morgan was fantastic in 2019. Not a coincidence that he had 2 NFL WRs to throw to. You really need high quality in both positions for high level success. We had neither last year. Time will tell for 2024 but I’m not overly optimistic.

Morgan was fantastic in 2019. Not a coincidence that he had 2 NFL WRs to throw to. You really need high quality in both positions for high level success. We had neither last year. Time will tell for 2024 but I’m not overly optimistic.
There were times he would just heave the ball downfield in Bateman’s direction and hope for the best.

When he kept doing that without Bateman on the field, it became a problem.

Will be interesting to see how Spencer does this year. He was a disappointment last year but it is tough to truly grade the WR with the subpar play we got from our QB.

Hopefully we get to see a competent passing game again...has been a few years since we have had one of those.
Yup. I have no clue how to judge these WRs.

AK even when he stared down a wide open guy wouldn't hit them until late. God knows what was supposed to happen out there, but AK wasn't going to hit you unless you were open for a good 5 minutes.

Even our successful passes last year OFTEN didn't even have to be close as they were, some guys were open long before the pass was thrown.

So what our WRs were doing, I dunno, but by late in the year there wasn't much they could do they changed the game to adapt for AK so much it seemed.

What if AK is a big success at Rutgers? That will make the Gopher coaches look bad.

What if AK is a big success at Rutgers? That will make the Gopher coaches look bad.
It's a large hypothetical, but I understand what you're getting at and maybe it will feel that way to some. If he succeeds, it's because he fits better in the Kirk Ciarrocca offense. That's not a knock on our staff. Coaches recruit players that will fit their scheme. That said, any success that Athan has will only reflect poorly on our program if Rutgers has more team success than us.

Top Bottom