How does the offensive become effective against Nebraska?

rpgopherfan

Reaction score
I strongly believe that in order for the Gophers to beat Nebraska Tanner Morgan needs a awesome day to open up the running game. Now this does not mean he has to complete 30 yard out routes or 50 yard post patterns. What the offensive game plan needs to be is using crossing patterns to neutralize the Nebraska linebackers, and possibly the same strategy to neutralize the secondary. If you use the tight ends properly you would cross them in front of the linebackers, while at the same time utilizing crossing patterns behind the linebackers with the wide outs. Create gaps in the defense and than take advantage of it. After that has been established the running game should flourish with the opposing linebackers having to lay back to cover passing lanes. If the gophers keep relaying on their running game without keeping the linebackers honest we may burn through the entire depth chart at the running back position. Lets see how the offensive game plan unfolds, if it's to conservative I would be on board for offensive coordinator change.

I think Morgan will have a good day tomorrow. There have been a lot of bad dropped passes so far this year that have really brought down his completion percentage. When passes are so uncommon as they've been so far that really kills drives. Having both his top receivers to work with should help.

I strongly believe that in order for the Gophers to beat Nebraska Tanner Morgan needs a awesome day to open up the running game. Now this does not mean he has to complete 30 yard out routes or 50 yard post patterns. What the offensive game plan needs to be is using crossing patterns to neutralize the Nebraska linebackers, and possibly the same strategy to neutralize the secondary. If you use the tight ends properly you would cross them in front of the linebackers, while at the same time utilizing crossing patterns behind the linebackers with the wide outs. Create gaps in the defense and than take advantage of it. After that has been established the running game should flourish with the opposing linebackers having to lay back to cover passing lanes. If the gophers keep relaying on their running game without keeping the linebackers honest we may burn through the entire depth chart at the running back position. Lets see how the offensive game plan unfolds, if it's to conservative I would be on board for offensive coordinator change.
You've nailed it.

It all starts with the O-Line. If they can create holes for the running backs to run through and give Morgan time to pass, Gophers will be golden.

Hoping both Wright and CrAB play today.

It all starts with the O-Line. If they can create holes for the running backs to run through and give Morgan time to pass, Gophers will be golden.

Hoping both Wright and CrAB play today.

You have absolutely nailed it. It isn't about play selection at all; it's all about execution. And good execution starts up front.

If this offensive line plays the way they're capable of playing, we'll be able to both run and pass at will.

RememberMurray has it right. If the OL has their "between their ears matter" focused on game plan execution, be it a rush or pass, the Gophers will win. I hope they bring their mean streak with them as this will be a physical game.

I am cautiously optimistic that the injuries at RB are going to force Fleck/Sanford out of their comfort zone and into a more aggressive mindset.

as others have said it all starts up front but I also think we will see them rely on Morgan more and hopefully he is up to the challenge.

if D keeps playing at a high level, we will hopefully see something special in a few hours. Fingers crossed.

You have absolutely nailed it. It isn't about play selection at all; it's all about execution. And good execution starts up front.

If this offensive line plays the way they're capable of playing, we'll be able to both run and pass at will.
So, not about play selection at all, not even a little bit? It's only about execution.

OK, does an offensive lineman execute exactly the same on a given running play if there are six Ds in the box as he would if there are seven Ds? Eight in the box?

So you say it doesn't matter what running play is called how often, nor how the defense sets up ... just block your guy. If you find two guys in front of you, just block them both. Or three.

Nothing can be changed by play calling?

Top Bottom