How does "Coach Prime" get away with this?

And then they caught that nice L
The best, most stirring pre-game speech in the history of football ... the motivation lasts for about 5 seconds on the field, then your instincts and everything you've practiced and studied kicks in and takes over.

First, he announces at his press conference that "There's your quarterback....." referencing his son who had not entered the portal at the time and continued to play for JSU in their bowl game. I understand it's his son and all but........

Next, in an interview he references that his 5 star JSU player Travis Hunter will be entering the portal and transferring to CO "real soon". Hunter continued to play for JSU in their bowl game.

Are there literally no rules on tampering with players not currently in the portal? Isn't this the definition? What type of punishment is a coach looking at (if any) if they do tamper?? SMH.........
There ain’t no shame in his game!

Tanner, MO, Crab, etc all flipped to Minnesota once Fleck was hired. Players absolutely commit to play for the coach that recruited them.
Never saw Mo as WMU commit, per his 247 page it that they even offered him.
He was offered by UK and Iowa - other major offfers - him at Iowa would have killed our soul. He was only 178 lbs in HS

Well when he made those comments, he was still employed by JSU so technically he was just talking about players still on his own team.

Also there are NCAA exceptions for things like this if they are your child.
And if a player says coach I'm going with you...should Deion lie and say he doesn't know what these guys are doing?
Like die hard said more softly, Find a real problem rather than making stuff up.

Grifting is an art form that is mastered after years of honing the skill.

Prime Time does it out in the open. When and if he wins, people will be deceived by drinking his Kool-Aid.

Last edited:

Performance artist. This is just too much. Surely God will tell him to go to Florida State too when that phone rings.

I generally distrust the openly pious, especially those who insist on calling themselves 'Prime'. Fairly certain the Lord isn't too keen on vanity, but maybe ol' Deion just skipped Proverbs and the rest of the books that talked about it because it cramped his style. :)

hey, if you drove down the freeway at 90-mph and you were never stopped - never saw a cop - you'd drive 90 every time. (at least I would.....)

the NCAA enforcement system is old and clunky at best. it simply cannot keep up with the changes in D1 sports - especially in football.

So Deion and other coaches will be driving down the football freeway at 90-mph until they see some flashing red lights behind them. and then the boosters will laugh and pay the ticket.

I have seen the same sorts of things happen with other programs. A coach comes in, walks a fine "rules" line, continues stretching the rules, and eventually is found out causing the entire program to be harmed.

I'm old enough to remember SMU. Started out innocent enough and grew to the point where there were no rules. SMU hasn't been the same since.

UC will love what Coach Prime brings in, but I'm a bit concerned about that zeal turning into a real mess. Hope I'm wrong.
Possibly, but the Board of Regents at CU will keep a pretty firm grip on compliance issues, I believe, unless they've completely sold out on everything they've historically stood for. If you guys think the U of M has been tough so far as self-policing goes (and they have been, very much so IMO), CU is right up there with them. They tend to tolerate no shadiness and no BS whatsoever.

hey, if you drove down the freeway at 90-mph and you were never stopped - never saw a cop - you'd drive 90 every time. (at least I would.....)

the NCAA enforcement system is old and clunky at best. it simply cannot keep up with the changes in D1 sports - especially in football.

So Deion and other coaches will be driving down the football freeway at 90-mph until they see some flashing red lights behind them. and then the boosters will laugh and pay the ticket.
(1) Remind me when you're planning to hit the road so I can see you flying by.
'
(2) I think the crux of the whole recruiting/tampering/NIL is that a vast majority don't really care. I'm no slave to tradition, but all of sport now seems to be simply transactional. I really can't blame the kids if adults (or supposed adults) are falling all over them and flashing cash. As fans, all I can say is we have bought tickets to the circus.

Interesting article in the Athletic this morning indicating that most of Dorrell's '23 recruiting class has been sent packing by Prime without so much as a sorry. A couple said they got personal calls from the AD asking them to stick around and telling them they'd still have a scholarship after Dorrell was fired, but that wa reneged by the staff and the AD hasn't answered or returned their calls. I vaguely remember people indicating Fleck did this to all but the in-state recruits when he was hired here as well, but man...especially with the early signing period nowadays this just seems wrong.

Interesting article in the Athletic this morning indicating that most of Dorrell's '23 recruiting class has been sent packing by Prime without so much as a sorry. A couple said they got personal calls from the AD asking them to stick around and telling them they'd still have a scholarship after Dorrell was fired, but that wa reneged by the staff and the AD hasn't answered or returned their calls. I vaguely remember people indicating Fleck did this to all but the in-state recruits when he was hired here as well, but man...especially with the early signing period nowadays this just seems wrong.

I feel bad for the recruits that get caught up in coaching changes but I also don't think the new coach should feel any obligation to retain recruits that were committed to the previous staff when the change happens before signing day.

Odd that the AD would be giving false promises to guys and it sounds like maybe Coach Prime could have handled it a little better but this is just a reality of coaching changes.

I suggest NCAA sanctioned cell phones that must be used for all recruiting communications. All recruits that sign must have a call/text history on those phones in order to receive a scholarship and the NCAA can look back at all of those communications if anything is questionable.

Maybe, but with NIL and the transfer portal I think cheating is at an all-time high. The NCAA just seems to be turning a blind eye to it all too.
Lol cheating at an all-time high. GTFOH with this nonsense. NIL & Transfer Portal is just bringing to the forefront what has been going on for years as far as the Deion stuff goes. He was technically still the coach for both players, so what is the tampering if he coached the same bowl game that these guys were playing in? If we really think all this stuff is brand new then we are beyond naive. Multiple former players have recently talked about getting bags of money on recruiting visits. Alabama & LSU parking lot before NIL was exposed on social media and no way college athletes could afford those without extra benefits. TBH this is the most parity college football has ever had look at the Final 4 this year & look at the Final 4 every year since it started. The first time we don't see Bama, Clemson, or Oklahoma in quite some time.

I feel bad for the recruits that get caught up in coaching changes but I also don't think the new coach should feel any obligation to retain recruits that were committed to the previous staff when the change happens before signing day.

Odd that the AD would be giving false promises to guys and it sounds like maybe Coach Prime could have handled it a little better but this is just a reality of coaching changes.
I wonder what a court's position would be on this if contested by a player / players? Is Bob Loblaw up yet?

I generally distrust the openly pious, especially those who insist on calling themselves 'Prime'. Fairly certain the Lord isn't too keen on vanity, but maybe ol' Deion just skipped Proverbs and the rest of the books that talked about it because it cramped his style. :)
Watch out when Prime starts modestly revealing to the world that he is an "extremely stable genius."

I know. That's awful.

This and we're kinda throwing rocks from a glass house here.
And half the players people are concerned about are his kids. The other main one might not even go to Colorado. I think he'll end up at Georgia.

I wonder what a court's position would be on this if contested by a player / players? Is Bob Loblaw up yet?
What would there to be contest? A verbal commitment is non binding for both the player and the school.

Lol cheating at an all-time high. GTFOH with this nonsense. NIL & Transfer Portal is just bringing to the forefront what has been going on for years as far as the Deion stuff goes. He was technically still the coach for both players, so what is the tampering if he coached the same bowl game that these guys were playing in? If we really think all this stuff is brand new then we are beyond naive. Multiple former players have recently talked about getting bags of money on recruiting visits. Alabama & LSU parking lot before NIL was exposed on social media and no way college athletes could afford those without extra benefits. TBH this is the most parity college football has ever had look at the Final 4 this year & look at the Final 4 every year since it started. The first time we don't see Bama, Clemson, or Oklahoma in quite some time.
Are you saying Michigan and Ohio State couldn't make it into the CFP without NIL?
Is TCU a big-time player with NIL money in the last year and that's why they made such a big jump?

Kid said:

“The SEC, that’s where I’ve heard it’s at,” Simmons told On3. “The best football, I feel like, is in the SEC.”

:sneaky:

How much was he paid and told to say that? Whatever.

Top Bottom