How does "Coach Prime" get away with this?

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
First, he announces at his press conference that "There's your quarterback....." referencing his son who had not entered the portal at the time and continued to play for JSU in their bowl game. I understand it's his son and all but........

Next, in an interview he references that his 5 star JSU player Travis Hunter will be entering the portal and transferring to CO "real soon". Hunter continued to play for JSU in their bowl game.

Are there literally no rules on tampering with players not currently in the portal? Isn't this the definition? What type of punishment is a coach looking at (if any) if they do tamper?? SMH.........

First, he announces at his press conference that "There's your quarterback....." referencing his son who had not entered the portal at the time and continued to play for JSU in their bowl game. I understand it's his son and all but........

Next, in an interview he references that his 5 star JSU player Travis Hunter will be entering the portal and transferring to CO "real soon". Hunter continued to play for JSU in their bowl game.

Are there literally no rules on tampering with players not currently in the portal? Isn't this the definition? What type of punishment is a coach looking at (if any) if they do tamper?? SMH.........
He’s making public what is probably done very frequently. It should be punished but it won’t stop the behavior.

He’s making public what is probably done very frequently. It should be punished but it won’t stop the behavior.
There was another coach that recently made comments about the amount of tampering going on behind the scenes.

Coach Prime doesn't give a crap so he will just do out in the open what most will try and pretend like they aren't doing.

As for what the NCAA will do about it....I'm guessing they will do a whole lot of nothing.

The rules, if there are any, against tampering were meant to be broken.
He loves the attention, and has attracted some decent players by all of the glitters so we know he can talk the talk but can he walk the walk as an HC in a lot tougher environment?

It's the wild west, more so than it's ever been. If our coaches aren't tampering, then we are playing with one hand behind our back.

We all want wins. We all want to beat Iowa (it's time), retain the Axe, win the West...therefore, if others are doing it, we better be too.

Go Gophers!!

A coach/booster/collective should not be actively talking about or recruiting players that are on another teams roster and not in the portal.
I have seen the same sorts of things happen with other programs. A coach comes in, walks a fine "rules" line, continues stretching the rules, and eventually is found out causing the entire program to be harmed.

I'm old enough to remember SMU. Started out innocent enough and grew to the point where there were no rules. SMU hasn't been the same since.

UC will love what Coach Prime brings in, but I'm a bit concerned about that zeal turning into a real mess. Hope I'm wrong.

There are no rules anymore.

Like NIL, tampering is the Wild Wild West as someone said above. I think some of the issue is that there is no way to regulate it so I guess I would say just dont worry about it. Look at the global soccer model, there are no tampering rules, teams talk about guys they want all the time while they are on other teams. Just like NIL there will be probably a rough transition from one system to another but over time it will work itself out. And sure it will happen where a guy goes somewhere because of it, but it can work the other way too. Day or Harbaugh praises a guy on say Iowa or Minnesota, guys on his team get upset and go forget you and leave mid year or something. Again to me, if you cant stop it and you do absolutely nothing about it, why even regulate it? Ol Prime Time wont be as enthused when his team goes 5-7 and Lincoln Riley is cherry picking guys from his team left and right.

Really never were were there? Just that back then, unless you were in a competitive newspaper town or had a NFL team, the local media were just extensions of the schools P.R. team.

Now with the internet and the near collapse of newspapers, trumpeting the most vocal coaches and trying to ferret out the underhanded tactics is become the national sport.

Really never were were there? Just that back then, unless you were in a competitive newspaper town or had a NFL team, the local media were just extensions of the schools P.R. team.

Now with the internet and the near collapse of newspapers, trumpeting the most vocal coaches and trying to ferret out the underhanded tactics is become the national sport.
Maybe, but with NIL and the transfer portal I think cheating is at an all-time high. The NCAA just seems to be turning a blind eye to it all too.

I don’t think they can do anything about the son.

The other guy though…

While I think this is a rules violation, I am really not concerned about this kind of "tampering". I am much more concerned about people reaching out to players on other teams and trying to get them to transfer.

Like, I am sure Caleb Williams and Lincoln Riley had discussions. For me, USC going after Jordan Addison is much shadier than Williams.

Maybe, but with NIL and the transfer portal I think cheating is at an all-time high. The NCAA just seems to be turning a blind eye to it all too.
The immediate eligibility part is the issue. If there truly are no consequences from tampering then it will just get worse and even more out in open while these collectives just go out and actively recruit players on other rosters.

The only way to control it at all would be to remove the free transfer and go back to making players sit out a year. And I don't see that happening.

Or they could punish teams for doing it but don't see that happening. Should take away scholarships from teams that tamper with other teams rosters.

Stew and Bruce talked a little about the NCAA investigation and adjudication team during the early days of NIL and paraphrasing but they stated it would fit into a minivan. I don’t believe they were joking. I was shocked…but in hindsight maybe makes sense. Maybe the trick, like insider trading, is not to attract attention or upset the wrong people, or strive become too important or connected or big to fail. Considering USC’s transgressions and punishment looking back that saga all seems remarkable for what it was, a little quaint and maybe a personal vendetta in hindsight. Then MN basketball.

Performance artist. This is just too much. Surely God will tell him to go to Florida State too when that phone rings.

............... wow. That's like Fleck x10000000 level of self-promotion.

I guess all I can say is different strokes for different folks.

If a person acting that way ... does it for you? Gets you pumped up to play for them? That's you, then, I guess. You do you!

Well when he made those comments, he was still employed by JSU so technically he was just talking about players still on his own team.

Also there are NCAA exceptions for things like this if they are your child.

I don't see this as a big deal. The players committed to play for the coach, coach leaves and they want to follow. Who cares.
No, the student athlete committed to the school. Nobody plays for a coach. When the coach pays the tuition and the student athlete is not on a scholarship, he can do and say what he wants. It is a big deal if you don't care about rules and legitimacy. lets see if everyone qualifies academically.

No, the student athlete committed to the school. Nobody plays for a coach. When the coach pays the tuition and the student athlete is not on a scholarship, he can do and say what he wants. It is a big deal if you don't care about rules and legitimacy. lets see if everyone qualifies academically.
Students in many specialized areas commit to a school because of an instructor/coach not because they are in love with the school. In athletics, media and message boards publicize it. But it happens frequently when a star/beloved physician, musician teacher, engineering instructor, etc leave. Students leave to follow.

You are probably closer to being correct than wrong. Realistically, what would a team actually have to do in today's college football landscape to get in trouble?

Last edited:

Tanner, MO, Crab, etc all flipped to Minnesota once Fleck was hired. Players absolutely commit to play for the coach that recruited them.

Top Bottom