How difficult is it to game plan for Syracuse?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
How does our staff go about planning for the Syracuse game? They have a new coach, a QB that hasn't played since HS, etc. How relevant will last years game film be for us? I realize that they will have some challenges in planning for us given that we have new coordinators and an entirely new offensive strategy, but we do have the majority of our starters returning.

Is it legal to send coaches to public scrimmages/practices? i.e., would Syracuse have someone at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday?

Go Gophers!!

Interesting thoughts. My guess is that we're going to play as vanilla of a game as possible and try to be physically dominant so as to keep our cards close for our later challenges. I don't want the Gophs to overlook Syracuse, but they ('Cuse) haven't been expected to do much this year.

You can. There is a reason the coaches make the scrimmages vanilla.

It should be pretty much an even deal as we will have a new look on both sides of the ball as well as both kickers. Although they will have the first quarter or so of the KU game to look at.

This will be all about execution, talent, desire to win. Less about play selection. One mans vanilla, is anothers thing of beauty. A well executed power play, isolation, an inside trap, or power sweep can be all you need. Why dazzle them with B.S. Maybe, just maybe a strike down field each quarter. A pass to Decker thrown in for a third and 6. But 55 rushes should get it done. There is no advantage in showing balance on film, if smash mouth football gets it done.

Pound the Rock, its on the wall, its on the Coaches lips. If we cannot run the ball on Syracuse, what chance against .......you get the picture.

Syracuse will send their spring game video to help the staff prepare. It's not much, but enough to get a basic idea of what they're going to try to do.

I think staying focused on Syracuse instead of looking ahead to the TCF opener is key. The week of the game, the team has to forget about TCF, plenty of time for that after we come back from Syracuse with a win.

They're pretty potent on offense. It's tough to scheme against Jim Brown, Marvin Harrison and Donovan McNabb.

Top Bottom