How did Asuma perform in State Tourney?

I watched a bit online. I think he looks good but I actually think he would look really good playing next to someone who is really quick with the ball in the hand. I think Asuma has point guard skills but I think he might be a better fit earlier in his career playing with another point guard.

he played well overall. but foul trouble killed him in the first game. And really even in the 2nd game it held him back.

hes athletic. but he isnt quick. IMO hes a combo guard right now. hes a good ball handler and an ok shooter. he needs to get better at both. and it would be a really good thing if he can show an improved shot here over the summer and through his senior year. he physically is already well put together so that will help in early in his career as well.

I saw the first two games and came away impressed. He has things to work on. His shot needs more consistency and his handles are good, not great. He's very unselfish and does all the extra things like rebound and help defense, but he didn't seem to try to take over games until he had to, and he waited too long vs. RTR. Had some really poor fouls called on him which caused him to sit some big minutes. I think he's just going to get better and better. I don't disagree that he (at this time) is more of a combo guard than a pure PG at the next level.

at a Class A school, his team needs him to be more than a distributor - he has to score for them to beat good opponents. So that pushes him in a direction that he most likely will not have to follow in college.

He's a HS Junior, so there are certainly areas of his game that need to improve - ball-handling and outside shooting. when he drives to the hoop, he has to be more aware of players trying to draw the charge - he picked up a lot of offensive fouls that way in the State Tournament.

on the plus side, clearly a good athlete. he seems to have decent court vision and does try to involve his teammates. and when he has a lane to the basket, he can finish at the hoop.

is he a "pure" PG - right now, I would say no. But, in two or three years with more maturity and coaching, it's possible that he can add to his game.

Top Bottom