How come Bo Ryans name is never linked to any other job opening?

Although I dislike anything Wisconsin most of the year, I do admire and very much respect the job Bo does for Wisconsin basketball, usually with what many feel is inferior talent. I find them easy to cheer for in the postseason. Does anyone know how his pay ranks among the other Big 10 coaches?

"I find them easy to cheer for......" WHAT???? I can't believe a Gopher fan would cheer for the frickin' BADgers.

Trying to be as objective as possible and not letting my hate for Bucky enter into it, I found this statement to be utterly ridiculous and that thought was enhanced by a quick scribbling of top programs in the nation:
Top 15, more or less
Duke
UNC
Kentucky
Kansas
UCLA
Syracuse
Michigan St.
Ohio St.
UConn
Texas
Florida
Arizona
Indiana
Georgetown
Villanova

Outside of Indiana (which has considerable capital built on years of success), all of these programs have either achieved multiple Final Fours or had talent that has gripped the nation (ex. Texas w/Durant, TJ Ford) in recent years. Wisconsin is nowhere near the Top 10 programs and I'd say they are in the scramble below the top 15, which I'd include with these teams:
Illinois
Maryland
Pitt
Purdue
Gonzaga
Xavier
Butler

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd say the program Wisconsin is most similar to is Pitt-very solid, consistent regular season success with few marquee players who just can't get over the hump in the NCAA tournament. At least with Pitt you get a team that often hovers in the top 5 of the polls in the regular season though.

Top 20 program, arguably, yes. If they advance to the Final Four this year? I still don't see them as a top 15 national program-they don't have the history, appeal, style, or headliners of the programs listed above them. And as for the info that Wisconsin is the top money maker in the Big 10 in college basketball that doesn't equate to elite basketball program; it reminds me of the Forbes' article a few years ago that made the claim Kevin McHale was the top GM in the NBA due to the strong finances (at the time) of the T-Wolves.

Not a bad list, but I don't think you can still include Indiana in your top programs. It might also be a bit of a stretch to include Butler on that list as well.

It is certainly a stretch to say that Texas is a better overall team than Wisconsin. While they certainly have had more talent than Wisconsin you may have found the one coach with even less success in the Big Dance than Bo Ryan.

A college athletic department is essentially a profiteering business entity though some of us would like to treat it otherwise. Tubby has been sub-par to our expectation. Despite that, Tubby still offers a great opportunity in the short term for the athletic department to reap a few dollars with his name. In the long run, good business must coincide with winning, and I believe Tubby will win reasonably well. Overall, he is a good deal for the athletic department. Low risk with Tubby even with the high salary.

But, Bo sort of lacks the sexiness for good business. His name does not carry as much value. If he turns in a couple of lackluster seasons like Tubby has, Bo can quickly lose fan support elsewhere. Bo can cost you a bit of money to get. In that regard, I think Bo can be considered as a relatively high risk venture business-wise considering his age (63).

I appreciate Bo and his ball style. But, if I were an AD, I absolutely would not consider Bo as a high priority (depending on the amount of money he wants, I guess).

I hate him.But he is a great coach who is more concerned about basketball than anything else.His ego doesn't need the rumors that Tubby won't erase.Tubby say they aren't true and then says he will listen.If he wants to do that privately fine.But why say he will listen publicly?
After watching the NCCA tourny our talent level is worse than I thought.Instead of listening or going on a trip to Africa maybe Orlando should recruit.

BTW, Tubby means good money to many programs other than us, which is why a lot of them are still having a good deal of interest in him.

A college athletic department is essentially a profiteering business entity though some of us would like to treat it otherwise. Tubby has been sub-par to our expectation. Despite that, Tubby still offers a great opportunity in the short term for the athletic department to reap a few dollars with his name. In the long run, good business must coincide with winning, and I believe Tubby will win reasonably well. Overall, he is a good deal for the athletic department. Low risk with Tubby even with the high salary.

But, Bo sort of lacks the sexiness for good business. His name does not carry as much value. If he turns in a couple of lackluster seasons like Tubby has, Bo can quickly lose fan support elsewhere. Bo can cost you a bit of money to get. In that regard, I think Bo can be considered as a relatively high risk venture business-wise considering his age (63).

I appreciate Bo and his ball style. But, if I were an AD, I absolutely would not consider Bo as a high priority (depending on the amount of money he wants, I guess).

I agree 110%

Tubby is a "sexy" hire. NATIONAL recruits love Tubby, not just local ones. He has ties to the south, he has a national championship at a power school, and is a great face to the program for his charity and community work and is very highly respected throughout college basketball. He is the pick that gets a fan base excited and instantly gets any school recruits. The name Tubby Smith could probably recruit anywhere.

Bo Ryan does well at Wisconsin. He keeps a rather low national profile, he has primarily coached in the midwest and coaches a certain style that SEC and ACC teams wouldn't like to use. So the only job Bo "fits", IMO, is a midwest job. No Big Ten school is going to go after Bo and Bo isn't going to listen to other Big Ten schools. He is also well respected, although not like Tubby, IMO.

That is why in a nutshell I think he isn't rumored all over. Bo's style fits at Wisconsin, really not many other major schools outside of the Big Ten or the NBA. Tubby's style can fit anywhere. South, NBA, East, West wouldn't matter. Not saying Bo couldn't win at other schools in other regions, he absolutley could. But he'd be bringing in the same recruits he does now (from the midwest I'd assume). Southern schools and players won't be as appreciative of his style of play.

Cheering for the Badgers

Maybe I should clarify my comments...Yes, I find the Badgers easy to cheer for in the NCAA tourney. In the postseason I cheer for all Big 10 teams, it just makes our conference look better when these teams do well. So, I am also cheering for tOSU, even though during the regular season I dislike them almost as much as WI...just for different reasons.

Top Bottom