How can you...

tap

Reaction score
not like and admire Jerry Kill. I like most Gopher FB fans didn't understand the hire at first, but quickly won me over. He is taking the curse hanging over Gopher Football since 1967 head on. Coach is not taking any shortcuts and if he can't get it done,it is not from a lack of effort or hard work. I love the way he doesn't pull any punches or make excuses. I hope his health can get regulated so he is around for as long as he wants to be and sees the results of his hard work. It is refreshing to hear a coach be honest and not make promises he can't keep. Go Coach Kill, staff, and Gopher team-please destroy the buffalos!

Well to be honest, the last coach talked the talk as well. And we know how that turned out. Kill may be the nicest guy in the world and want to win here more than anyone ever, but that and 25 cents will get you a paper in the morning. I really want to believe he can coach, and I will say we've looked better than last year. But we haven't seen a full Kill recruiting class yet and we haven't seen how his team and his schemes look against Big Ten competition. No doubt he has some time to turn things around, but it is no guarantee. Just remember, most people drank the kool aid with Basement Brew, so it is an easy trap to fall into.

Well to be honest, the last coach talked the talk as well. And we know how that turned out. Kill may be the nicest guy in the world and want to win here more than anyone ever, but that and 25 cents will get you a paper in the morning. I really want to believe he can coach, and I will say we've looked better than last year. But we haven't seen a full Kill recruiting class yet and we haven't seen how his team and his schemes look against Big Ten competition. No doubt he has some time to turn things around, but it is no guarantee. Just remember, most people drank the kool aid with Basement Brew, so it is an easy trap to fall into.

Yeah but Brewster's resume is paltry when compared to Kill's. Kill's words have weight to them, Brewster's did not. Big difference.

You are kidding right? Brewster had NO track record. Kill has won everywhere he has been and has a track record. Do you really think we are worse off than last year at this time?

Lets put a lid on these I Love Jerry Kill threads. They are getting sickening. There are a lot of people in the world to like and admire who do really important things. Kill is only a football coach and the only thing we want from him is to win football games. If he doesn't get the job done we need to fire his ass and give the job to someone else.

Or just wait for the 4 years on his contract to run out, since that's the year the coach is supposed to have his best team.

I am so super cool. I like to use phrases like "kool aid" and "Basement Brew".

I am also very intelligent. I like to compare a guy who had 17 years and 200 games worth of experience as a college head coach to a guy who had 0 years and 0 games worth of experience as a college head coach/coordinator.

Man, I am so awesome.

Kill has earned my respect and admiration regardless of how many games he wins as a Gophers coach or whether he's ultimately successful in turning the program around. I am optimistic he'll be able to achieve great things here.

Coach Kill is 1-2 at Minnesota. Hopefully, next game he gets to even up his record. I could care less if he won someplace else and looks like an all star coach. Jim Wacker came into Minnesota with a great looking resume as well. He put in the time, effort and all. Kill is right about one thing, we need to teach the team how to win. Starting from lacing up their shoes sounds about right.

Coach Kill is 1-2 at Minnesota. Hopefully, next game he gets to even up his record. I could care less if he won someplace else and looks like an all star coach. Jim Wacker came into Minnesota with a great looking resume as well. He put in the time, effort and all. Kill is right about one thing, we need to teach the team how to win. Starting from lacing up their shoes sounds about right.

No, Wacker didn't come here with a great resume. He did great at the D-II level, but had a losing record as a D-I coach.

Jim Wacker came into Minnesota with a great looking resume as well.

He did? A LOSING record at TCU constitutes a great looking resume? I hope you are hiring next time I am looking at a career move.

TCU Horned Frogs (Southwest Conference) (1983–1991)
1983 TCU 1–8–2 1–6–1 8th
1984 TCU 8–4 5–3 T–3rd L Bluebonnet
1985 TCU 3–8 0–8 9th
1986 TCU 3–8 1–7 8th
1987 TCU 5–6 3–4 T–5th
1988 TCU 4–7 2–5 T–5th
1989 TCU 4–7 2–6 T–7th
1990 TCU 5–6 3–5 T–5th
1991 TCU 7–4 4–4 T–5th
TCU: 40–58–2 21–48–1

Jim Wacker won four national championships, two at Texas Lutheran and two at Southwest Texas State. He also got hit for sanctions at TCU for self reporting serious violations. After the sanctions were lifted, his team went 5-1 and was ranked in the top 25 before his top quarterback went down with season ending injuries. A record says something, but not all about the guy. I think winning national championships at any level is a very difficult thing to accomplish. 4 of them says the guy could coach. I would have hired Jim Wacker at the time.

Source: Wikipedia

He was also named National Coach of the Year.

His credentials were impeccable. His character undisputed. His accomplishments second to none. He was an A list hire at the time.

Texas Lutheran was an NAIA. Southwest Texas State (now called Texas State) is in the FCS now, but it was D-II at the time. As a D-I coach before he was hired here, he won 41% of his games overall, and 30% of his conference games.

He did? A LOSING record at TCU constitutes a great looking resume? I hope you are hiring next time I am looking at a career move.

Stan, it hurts me to see you call yourself a loser. You are better than that! Hang in there man. :)

Joking aside, I agree. Wacker had a losing D1 record and although hindsight is 20/20, I do think that nobody should have been surprised at the Gophers losing record with him at the helm. Perhaps the level of Gopher futility under Wacker was a surprise, but simply being a losing team shouldn't have been a shocker given his D1 coaching history. It WAS a losing record, after all.

Anyway, I have a great respect for Kill. He's worked his way up from the bottom rung of the ladder. No quit in the guy and he's had some obstacles.

Thanks Schnauzer, I appreciate it. I will try to make it!

And to answer to a comment made by OneOld, no one on here is questioning Wacker's character, just his record as a DI coach.

Thanks Schnauzer, I appreciate it. I will try to make it!

And to answer to a comment made by OneOld, no one on here is questioning Wacker's character, just his record as a DI coach.

No question about Wacker's DI record. His overall coaching record up to arriving at Minnesota was 143-92 for a .608 career mark. Certainly, if you only look at DI TCU, his record was 40-58-2. But, as stated earlier, he took on probation and loss of scholarships by turning in his own program. If you take away Jerry Kills non BCS record, he was 44-22 or .666 career mark in Division I at the point of his hire and Jerry Kill posted a 127-73 for a .635 career mark.

In the playoffs Kill was 5-5 and in bowl games he is 1-2. Jim Wacker was 20-2 in DII playoffs with 4 championships and lost his only bowl appearance. Kill has a better career record, except for playoff victories, where Jim Wacker had a clear and decisive edge in winning.

Who would you pick to be the better coach? Right now, it is a toss-up. We all have hindsight on Jim Wacker. None of us has foresight on Jerry Kill. We know he has the potential to be a great coach. So, did Jim Wacker. Only time will prove if Jerry Kill will outperform Coach Wacker.

TCU had problems when he got there, but he was there for 9 years, and in those 9 years, he had two seasons with winning records, and one season with a winning record in conference play. He did great at the NAIA and D-II level, but at the D-I level, no.

I don't think anyone dislikes the man.

The Kill 'Stache is growing back, and needs to continue to grow into the great thing we saw when he was hired. All wins come from that.

TCU had problems when he got there, but he was there for 9 years, and in those 9 years, he had two seasons with winning records, and one season with a winning record in conference play. He did great at the NAIA and D-II level, but at the D-I level, no.

With Coach Kill, we have as big of an unknown as Wacker. You can disagree, like you already have done. Your point is that DI wins matter more than DII wins. I get that. I don't have a problem with that. Wacker had to compete against Rice, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Ok State, Bayler, Southern Methodist, Arkansas, and Houston. This was not a cupcake conference. His records were just as solid as Mason's were here. We now should recognize that Wacker, Mason, and Brewster were not so great coaches. Now, we are to believe that Jerry Kill, whose wife is taking care of his medication because he won't manage it directly (see press conference of 9/20) and who apparently drives himself to work after having 20 plus seizures in the last week and they continue, will be able to be better than Wacker. I have my doubts. His judgement is in question over how he conducts his life, which calls into question his intelligence to manage the program effectively. The MAC will never be in the same league as the Southwest Conference was at the time of Jim Wacker's tenure, although not one of those teams won the NC during that period. Wacker came to Minnesota having battled very major programs with a modest amount of success. He won 30% of his games in the SWC. Mason won 40% in the B!G and 39% of his conference games in the Big 12. The bottom line is that Jerry Kill has high potential to be the next best care taker coach of the team. It is highly doubtful that he will bring the team to a winning B!G season at any point. Jerry Kill is the 2nd least tested coach since Gutey, Brewster being the first. His 3 seasons at Northern Illinois were not rebuilding years. The team went to 2 bowl games in the 3 years prior to coach Kill. He kept the team going and only in the last year, after going to bowl games 5 of the previous 6 years. He got a natural boost in recruitment by keeping the team moving to bowl games. In only one of the years Kill was at NIU did he have a noticable bump up in wins, his last year there. All the other years were on par for what the team had done previously, except the year before coach Kill was hired. All the others were in the top tier of MAC standings for the 5 years prior to his hire. When Kill states he rebuilt at every school he coached, that isn't entirely true. NIU had a 1 year drop to the bottom and had good talent across the board with veteran players. The truth is he did not have to restock with good players and start from scratch. He just had to rekindle the fire in their bellies to return to what they had done already as a team.

Why do we persist in making Jerry Kill into a mythical figure? He was not much better than Wacker, not much better than Mason, and he has a shorter track record against lesser schools for his conference. The reality is we have a risky hire on our hands with his health and an unproven record of any duration as a DI head coach. Yes he knocked off Indiana and Minnesota when both teams couldn't beat the little sisters of the poor. But, is that a credential? This guy could very well end up as the next Jim Wacker.

Pump up the positivity. The seniors and juniors on this team have played in the Insight Bowl twice. If he can not take this team to a bowl game this year, he is not what we need to have as a coach. We can begin the search today.

Pump up the positivity. The seniors and juniors on this team have played in the Insight Bowl twice. If he can not take this team to a bowl game this year, he is not what we need to have as a coach. We can begin the search today.

Quit being a fan if that's your attitude. Blow it up and rebuild - again - when a coach can't make chickensh*t into chicken salad in 12 games.

OneOld-

There is so much in your post to dissect and tear apart. I just do not have the time or energy to deal with you right now, what a terrible post. Maybe DPO can do it for me...

OneOld-

There is so much in your post to dissect and tear apart. I just do not have the time or energy to deal with you right now, what a terrible post. Maybe DPO can do it for me...

I would love to, but you just can't help the unhelpable. Clearly, someone who thinks that 49 is "old" has lost all touch with reality. OOG has moved firmly into the Wren category for me. In fact, I would not be at all surprised to discover that they are alternate personalities of the same individual.

I'm hoping that by not responding to them, I'll not give them the fuel they need to go on posting and that they will eventually float away. Note how MMM hasn't been on the board in weeks (months?) after his laughably bad recruiting posts?

Your post gave me some food for thought.

...Right up until the last paragraph quoted above where you completely lost all credibility.

Wacker was no unknown. He had 9 years at TCU. Jerry Kill has had 10 years experience at the D-I level - Southern Illinois was a D-I school when he coached there.

...Right up until the last paragraph quoted above where you completely lost all credibility.

The overall eval cut Kill no slack. The point about going to a bowl this year or get fired made me chuckle. I'm very pleased that OOG is will not be writing my workplace eval.

Where is Kill talking the talk? He has said on record that it will take time to make this program relevant again. He didn't come in on his first day saying that he predicted to be in the Rose Bowl in 3 years like Brewster.

With Coach Kill, we have as big of an unknown as Wacker. You can disagree, like you already have done. Your point is that DI wins matter more than DII wins. I get that. I don't have a problem with that. Wacker had to compete against Rice, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Ok State, Bayler, Southern Methodist, Arkansas, and Houston. This was not a cupcake conference. His records were just as solid as Mason's were here. We now should recognize that Wacker, Mason, and Brewster were not so great coaches. Now, we are to believe that Jerry Kill, whose wife is taking care of his medication because he won't manage it directly (see press conference of 9/20) and who apparently drives himself to work after having 20 plus seizures in the last week and they continue, will be able to be better than Wacker. I have my doubts. His judgement is in question over how he conducts his life, which calls into question his intelligence to manage the program effectively. The MAC will never be in the same league as the Southwest Conference was at the time of Jim Wacker's tenure, although not one of those teams won the NC during that period. Wacker came to Minnesota having battled very major programs with a modest amount of success. He won 30% of his games in the SWC. Mason won 40% in the B!G and 39% of his conference games in the Big 12. The bottom line is that Jerry Kill has high potential to be the next best care taker coach of the team. It is highly doubtful that he will bring the team to a winning B!G season at any point. Jerry Kill is the 2nd least tested coach since Gutey, Brewster being the first. His 3 seasons at Northern Illinois were not rebuilding years. The team went to 2 bowl games in the 3 years prior to coach Kill. He kept the team going and only in the last year, after going to bowl games 5 of the previous 6 years. He got a natural boost in recruitment by keeping the team moving to bowl games. In only one of the years Kill was at NIU did he have a noticable bump up in wins, his last year there. All the other years were on par for what the team had done previously, except the year before coach Kill was hired. All the others were in the top tier of MAC standings for the 5 years prior to his hire. When Kill states he rebuilt at every school he coached, that isn't entirely true. NIU had a 1 year drop to the bottom and had good talent across the board with veteran players. The truth is he did not have to restock with good players and start from scratch. He just had to rekindle the fire in their bellies to return to what they had done already as a team.

Why do we persist in making Jerry Kill into a mythical figure? He was not much better than Wacker, not much better than Mason, and he has a shorter track record against lesser schools for his conference. The reality is we have a risky hire on our hands with his health and an unproven record of any duration as a DI head coach. Yes he knocked off Indiana and Minnesota when both teams couldn't beat the little sisters of the poor. But, is that a credential? This guy could very well end up as the next Jim Wacker.

Are you a flippin' Badgers fan? Because you sure as heck aren't a Gophers fan. Have you talked to any NIU fans? EVERY single one of their fans will tell you that Kill made their team far better than they ever were before he got there. If you have facebook you would have noticed the day after he was hired that many NIU fans went onto the Minnesota page and were telling Minnesota fans to be thankful for what they were getting because he was such a great coach.

If you even put this guy on the same level as Brewster you already need your head checked. Carry on.

Top Bottom