How about moving the Insight Bowl to the Dome?

ORGopher

Reaction score
Just a really stupid thought and I am not serious, but they might sell more tickets. It would also add more money to the pot as Iowa State could bus and not have to fly...teams could have a day at the Mall of America amusement park (whatever they call that thing now)...battle of the bands at the IDS...Sid could emcee the luncheon...I mean, besides the 80 degree weather and golf, what does Phoenix offer that a bowl game at the Dome with two regional teams can't.

Plus it would give the Gophers and edge...Minnesota (as stated earlier on this board) is 22-2-1 all-time against Iowa State and 21-2-1 at home...we have played Iowa State only once on the road.

Rename it the Insight-Pillsbury Bowl. It might at least break-even which is more then I can say for what it might do in Tempe.

Dome

To keep it neutral, play it at the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls, IA (U of Northern IA). Except that only seats 17,000 and ISU will bring at least 20,000 to Phoenix and would bring 40,000+ to the Metrodome.

Looking forward to the game. Should be very competitive and entertaining.

In all seriousness, that wouldn't have been a bad idea. The dome would be close to sold out I bet or at least the majority filled.

Clearly the best place for this game would be a high school field in Albert Lea. It's definitely half way between Ames and Minneapolis.

Clearly the best place for this game would be a high school field in Albert Lea. It's definitely half way between Ames and Minneapolis.

Let's use some stimilus dollars and have them BUILD a new stadium in Albert Lea. Of course, there wouldn't be any oversight and with the rush contract, etc. it would probably only cost a couple of billion. :D

Could they clear Cabella's in Owatonna out to play the game? I think it's big enough. Kick it between the moose and black bear for the extra point!

My hope was that I would never have to go into the f*ckin Thunder Dome ever again.

They should just play this game overseas and the loser can't come back.

If the Insight Bowl was held in the dome, we'd still be outnumbered by ISU fans:(

Just start a new bowl game here. Call it the Mall of America Bowl.(For obvious reasons.)

Every year the Gophers could play whatever team they invited, and play the game on Jan. 1.

This would solve all problems.

Just start a new bowl game here. Call it the Mall of America Bowl.(For obvious reasons.)

Every year the Gophers could play whatever team they invited, and play the game on Jan. 1.

This would solve all problems.

Why not just play it at TCF Bank Stadium? It could be the Mr. Freeze freeze pops Bowl. If you can keep your tongue from freezing to your coat zipper the whole game, you get a free freeze pop as you leave the stadium!

Why not just play it at TCF Bank Stadium? It could be the Mr. Freeze freeze pops Bowl. If you can keep your tongue from freezing to your coat zipper the whole game, you get a free freeze pop as you leave the stadium!

Hey, it did wonders for Boise St. I'm sure that's what carried them to greatness.

If its at the dome, we can call it the Metro Bowl. Or, in keeping with it's new name, we can call it the Mall of Ameribowl.

Having a bowl game at the Metrodome actually would have ended up making great financial sense since the NCAA approved the 12-game schedule in 2005. Unfortunately, no one saw the value in it -- and 2 new bowls were already added last year, and 2 more will be added next year. So this wouldn't work anymore.

But here's what we might have seen:

2006: Kansas vs. Pittsburgh, Wyoming or Arizona (none went to a bowl)
2007: Iowa vs. South Carolina or Ohio (none went to a bowl)
2008: Northern Illinois, Rutgers or San Jose State vs. NC State or Memphis (assuming teams not under contract opted for higher payouts)
2009: Notre Dame, Hawaii, UCLA

With a $750,000 payout per team, these games would have been very profitable, despite pulling teams from the bottom of the bowl pecking-order.

If it's called the "Mall of America Bowl", can Royce White still come?

Having a bowl game at the Metrodome wouldn't have been a terrible idea, but no group was interested in doing so. Too late now, of course with bowls added, but again, no one was interested in putting on the Metro Bowl. But if Detroit had one, why not Minneapolis. They could have put it on the same day as the Holidazzle parade.

But the idea of a Gophers team being getting an at-large bid to the Metro Bowl isn't all that appealing. I'm sure the hypothetical Metro Bowl would love to have the Gophers, but you'd only accept it if there were no other offers.

Maybe if I won the lottery, I could form a group to start the Metro Bowl! :D

Having a bowl game at the Metrodome wouldn't have been a terrible idea, but no group was interested in doing so. Too late now, of course with bowls added, but again, no one was interested in putting on the Metro Bowl. But if Detroit had one, why not Minneapolis. They could have put it on the same day as the Holidazzle parade.

But the idea of a Gophers team being getting an at-large bid to the Metro Bowl isn't all that appealing. I'm sure the hypothetical Metro Bowl would love to have the Gophers, but you'd only accept it if there were no other offers.

Maybe if I won the lottery, I could form a group to start the Metro Bowl! :D

All of that's fine, but it should be called the Pillsbury Dough Bowl

Top Bottom