Houston Baptist DT transfer Kyler Baugh receives Gophers offer

If he has all the right tools, I'd take him. Appears to be a good fit. In Fleck we trust.

Those are phenomenal numbers for a DT. No clue how it will translate to the Big Ten but that is a ton of tackles for a DT.
They ranked 121 of 123 in TOP (24 minutes), so he spent a lot of time on the field!

They ranked 121 of 123 in TOP (24 minutes), so he spent a lot of time on the field!
Never seen the team play but obviously they were pretty terrible last year to go 0-11. 52 tackles from a DT is still very impressive even if the defense was on the field a lot. DT typically don't rack up a ton of stats, they are usually the ones occupying space and making it possible for the DE and LBs to get most of the glory.

Offering this level of transfer says they don't think much of internal options. Woof.
Not a lot of options at this point. It's just a depth move since Chris Smith switched to Notre Dame so late.

Lots of injuries occur on the line, especially now with the concussion protocols. So having as much depth as possible is a good thing.

Offering this level of transfer says they don't think much of internal options. Woof.
Meh. He just put his name in the portal Monday, so it’s not like he’s been sitting there for ages before we decided to offer. Plus Gibbens showed us that Big-Ten ready players can come from awful FCS teams. Worst case is he provides depth at a position of need for a scholarship that otherwise would’ve gone to a walk-on.

Sounds as if you've broken down some film. What can you tell us beyond 52 tackles and 3.5 sacks? Would love a scouting report.

I don't get the "this level of transfer" talk. Our best transfer last year and leading tackler (Gibbens) played at a similar level before transfer, a QB from the same conference as HBU will be a starting P5 QB this year and was recruited heavily by a ton of schools. Just because they're from smaller conferences doesn't mean individual players can't be difference makers. Maybe the staff see's Baugh as that type of guy.

I don't get the "this level of transfer" talk. Our best transfer last year and leading tackler (Gibbens) played at a similar level before transfer, a QB from the same conference as HBU will be a starting P5 QB this year and was recruited heavily by a ton of schools. Just because they're from smaller conferences doesn't mean individual players can't be difference makers. Maybe the staff see's Baugh as that type of guy.
Yep. Remember Jon Schlecht from St. Cloud St?

Maybe, just maybe.

Check out Baugh’s high school tape. Dude played middle linebacker! Looks like he’s from a town of less than 1000 people. I think this kid could really surprise people much like Gibbens.

Top Bottom