Hot Seat.

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
I think we can all agree Brewster is officially on the hot seat.

Let's set the hand wringing aside, and come to grips that the earliest a change would be made is probably about game 8, most likely the day after game 12.

Let's also assume that USC destroys us, and just so we don't have to bring it into discussion we win against NIU. I don't think a win or loss against NIU changes the landscape one way or another. So we're sitting 2-2 with an expected loss against USC, and a brutal let down against USD.

What does this team have to do to in the big ten to save Brewster's job?

A lot, IMO.

At least 2 trophy games, 3 would be best, obviously. But if that's the case, then they'll have to beat NU, Illinois, MSU and Purdue (I'm just going off the assumptions that NU, Illinois, MSU and Purdue are worse teams than PSU, Wisconsin and Iowa).

Yes, it's a tall order. But a tall order is needed to help forget USD

Let's say they beat NU,ILL,MSU and Purdue, we end up 6-6 go to a bowl but we win no trophy games?

thinking in terms of what Maturi would do and not what you'd want to see happen. Does Brew get another year?

Let's say they beat NU,ILL,MSU and Purdue, we end up 6-6 go to a bowl but we win no trophy games?

thinking in terms of what Maturi would do and not what you'd want to see happen. Does Brew get another year?

I think so, I would not give him another but I think Maturi would.

If they continue to perform like they did against SD Brew will be gone before the end of the season. If that were to happen it comes as early as game 6 but more likely the end of the season, the point being, that it could get bad enough for him to get the ax early.

Some people are never going to get it.

I actually think the NIU game is critical (as sad as that is). We are expected to lose to USC, and after this debacle we are expected to get crushed (20 pt dogs as of yesterday). However, I could easily see USC winning a merely 'methodical' victory where they get ahead by 2 or more scores early, don't need to run up the score, play back-ups in the second half, and win 31-14, or maybe 38-14 to cover. Such a game would tell us NOTHING about our squad. It's the NIU game that will tell us if they've got anything left. If they can come back and roll over another 'should win', at least they can go into the Big Ten season with a 'we belong here' attitude. They squeak by NIU, or heaven forbid lose, they are 1-3 and I don't see much good happening the rest of the way. In that case, a 1 or 2 win season is definitely a potential outcome.

I actually think the NIU game is critical (as sad as that is). We are expected to lose to USC, and after this debacle we are expected to get crushed (20 pt dogs as of yesterday). However, I could easily see USC winning a merely 'methodical' victory where they get ahead by 2 or more scores early, don't need to run up the score, play back-ups in the second half, and win 31-14, or maybe 38-14 to cover. Such a game would tell us NOTHING about our squad. It's the NIU game that will tell us if they've got anything left. If they can come back and roll over another 'should win', at least they can go into the Big Ten season with a 'we belong here' attitude. They squeak by NIU, or heaven forbid lose, they are 1-3 and I don't see much good happening the rest of the way. In that case, a 1 or 2 win season is definitely a potential outcome.

I think you're absolutely correct about this. I think though, in terms of the hot seat and the final analysis of whether he stays oro goes, it might not enter into the equation. It will however be critical in terms of team improvement and development. It's hard to imagine anything good happening if we haven't righted the ship enough to defeat NIU.

If he gets to 6-6 without a trophy game win, I think he keeps his job IF he wins the bowl game.

I actually agree. As I said on another thread, the bare minimum for Brewster this year is the so-called 'Big Win'. Whether a trophy game or a bowl (at this point any bowl). If he finishes .500 with the 'Big Win', he almost certainly stays. Now for reality: at this point the Big Win looks about as likely as a National Championship.

If he gets to 6-6 without a trophy game win, I think he keeps his job IF he wins the bowl game.

The problem is you cannot wait until after a bowl game to make a decision again because some of the better candidates will likely already have new jobs.

Brewster's seat is not just hot, it is on fire. Before this game his seat was only warm, I didn't think that he was in as much danger of getting fired as some thought, I figured Maturi would give him one more year barring an absolute disaster. Losing to USD is an absolute disaster. It's just possible that enough to the season could be salvaged. But we have to win every game that we have even a reasonable chance of winning. NIU is now an absolute must win.

Before this game, I thought that 5-7 or perhaps even 4-8 might be enough to get him one more year. Now, he may have to beat NIU, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois and MSU to keep his job. (a big upset win, would help of course).

I think he's going to be gone, just speculating on what would have to be the case to keep his job. It's also important to keep watch on if he can keep control of the players. A team in disarray can get out of control, despair is contagious.

Yeah, we can't do this after a bowl game again. Maturi needs to decide at least by regular season's end whether he's done enough.

I've had my head stuck in the sand long enough, 6-6, who are you kidding. The discussion should be is 4-8 good enough to keep his job. Anything else really isn't based on reality at this point.

1-6 can just about be assumed, no trophy wins.

Can they go 3-2 against the other teams, NIU, NU, Purdue, Michigan State, and Illinois. I doubt it.

Top Bottom