"Hostile environment"

DuluthTexan

Reaction score
“We came into a hostile environment for our football team,” Orange coach Doug Marrone said. “We got shook up at times with the noise.”

When was the last time we could truly say this (i.e., "hostile") and what will it take (besides winning, of course) to keep it going?

“We came into a hostile environment for our football team,” Orange coach Doug Marrone said. “We got shook up at times with the noise.”

When was the last time we could truly say this (i.e., "hostile") and what will it take (besides winning, of course) to keep it going?

It will take a great gameday atmosphere like the one we had on Saturday! Going through some of the tailgate lots, most notably for ourselves, the Jerry Killwagon stop, the energy and enthusiam was fantastic! Let's keep this thing going!

Beat the Hawkeye's!! 5-0!!

I was a little worried about the atmosphere in the first half. With the exception of a few key plays it didn't sound like the crowd was into the game on tv in the first half and in the second half it seemed like they got louder. Maybe it was just the audio. Could hear the band reasonably well on tv.

I re-watched the game on BTN and it seemed that the announcers were stuck in an enclosed booth, they kept saying how loud it was in the stadium but you could just faintly make it out in the background. There were spots of great sound and then sounding like they were in a bubble again.

I haven't attended a game at Autzen yet but I have a best buddy that has and I have always heard it is a very tough place to play (talking crowd/atmosphere, not necessarily the Ducks themselves who would be tough to play anywhere). Since that stadium has a similar capacity, I always envision our TCF Bank Stadium should have Autzen as a goal for atmosphere. I have been to every Gopher game ever played in TCF and I have really noticed the closed end of the stadium in particular can be very tough for opposing teams to operate in. Any time the stadium or band is brought up, I always post something about how the band pit is poorly designed (too small and traps sound). However, that band pit may have a positive effect as well: I believe it may channel very loud band noise directly on to the field. Not only that, but the band directors deserve some credit because that band is always Johnny-on-the-spot between plays when the other team has the ball on the east side of the 50 yard line. Saturday night was perhaps the best example but even with smaller crowds I have noticed the sound in TCF can be much louder than expected.

I haven't attended a game at Autzen yet but I have a best buddy that has and I have always heard it is a very tough place to play (talking crowd/atmosphere, not necessarily the Ducks themselves who would be tough to play anywhere). Since that stadium has a similar capacity, I always envision our TCF Bank Stadium should have Autzen as a goal for atmosphere. I have been to every Gopher game ever played in TCF and I have really noticed the closed end of the stadium in particular can be very tough for opposing teams to operate in. Any time the stadium or band is brought up, I always post something about how the band pit is poorly designed (too small and traps sound). However, that band pit may have a positive effect as well: I believe it may channel very loud band noise directly on to the field. Not only that, but the band directors deserve some credit because that band is always Johnny-on-the-spot between plays when the other team has the ball on the east side of the 50 yard line. Saturday night was perhaps the best example but even with smaller crowds I have noticed the sound in TCF can be much louder than expected.

Autzen can attribute the volume level a lot to the architecture. Its a lopsided bowl in a pit with the stands really close to the sidelines. Autzen has been known to be very loud even before the Ducks became the TD/fashion factory they are now. TCF was designed in a similar vision (seats really close to the sidelines). The goal being to make 50K people sound like 100K. After Saturday, I believe we can call that a success.

I also love when the Gophers are on defense, it's third down (typically near the student endzone), music is piped in AND the band plays something loud regardless. At that point, it doesn't matter if the crowd can hear you. Just be loud and maybe the Gophers will get an INT at the goal line. Oh wait, that happened!

The only thing that bothered me about the band on Saturday was when they played the Superman/Goldy push-up thing when Syracuse was starting a critical drive in our territory with about 3 minutes left.

The only thing that bothered me about the band on Saturday was when they played the Superman/Goldy push-up thing when Syracuse was starting a critical drive in our territory with about 3 minutes left.

This. This. This

Right, there's a time and a place to skip that.

What is the "allowed" delay between a Gopher score and the pushups?

It seemed like 10 minutes after our first TD until Goldy was doing his duty.

Get on it, man!

First game of the year for me and wow...it was electric. I don't remember it being that loud since '09. Go Gophers!!!

They've been good about delaying it when possible (and did so earlier in the game). This was the only time they didn't and it probably just had to do with folks thinking the game was in hand. The not playing while the other team is starting a drive thing has been MUCH better this year.

I thought the crowd was rockin' all night. Best atmosphere since the AF game in 2009...

Awesome atmosphere - when is the last time a QB for MN waved his arms to get the crowd to quiet down on offense??

Autzen can attribute the volume level a lot to the architecture. Its a lopsided bowl in a pit with the stands really close to the sidelines. Autzen has been known to be very loud even before the Ducks became the TD/fashion factory they are now. TCF was designed in a similar vision (seats really close to the sidelines). The goal being to make 50K people sound like 100K. After Saturday, I believe we can call that a success.

I also love when the Gophers are on defense, it's third down (typically near the student endzone), music is piped in AND the band plays something loud regardless. At that point, it doesn't matter if the crowd can hear you. Just be loud and maybe the Gophers will get an INT at the goal line. Oh wait, that happened!

I kinda wish the stadium was built taller, rather than spread out wide, that way the sound noise be more entrapped. But hey, I can't complain, gotta love our stadium.

Top Bottom