Horton Supposedly Promised An Interview

After what he did the last 2 games and especially the Iowa game, he deserves an interview. From what I understand he is still working on the committed reruits to help to keep them committed. He has great attitude.

I was not very impressed with him before the last couple of weeks. My bad! He will not be our head coach, but we could do a lot worse. We have done a lot worse many times, as a matter of fact.

I don't think its a surprise that he was promised an interview.

I am surprised that it hasn't happened. At this point, if it hasn't happened, then it either won't happen or it will just be a formality (because a different coach has been chosen).

Horton did go 2-3 against bowl eligible teams - thats .400

Mason was 16-48 (.250) versus bowl eligible teams
Brewster was 5-24 (.170) versus bowl eligible teams

I feel that Horton is kind of like Teen Wolf. He was momentarily successful, but does he really want to be that guy permanently?

Hey at least he WANTS the job and he is a lot better than the last guy we had!!
Like most Gopher football coaching searches, this is getting dangerously close to becoming a complete fiasco!!

Maybe the biggest fiasco of all was the one before we got Lou Holtz. Maybe we will get lucky again.

Like most Gopher football coaching searches, this is getting dangerously close to becoming a complete fiasco!!

Honestly, how so? We got rid of Brew early and the U had lots of time to set targets and do behind the scenes feelers (plus it allowed us to win some games and finish on a high note). It's not late in the game yet and all indications are that we're getting very close to the announcement. We definitely are not the last school looking for a chair before the music stops. The only real WTF moment IMO was the "Tubby-like hire" comment. That was a really bad move on Maturi's part.

IMO, the only way this is a fiasco before the hire is announced is if you take all the negative tweets/reports as gospel. That doesn't seem like a wise idea given the fact that there are so many competing interests involved here. The U trying to float trial balloons and manage expectations. Boosters pushing favorites. Agents angling to improve their client’s contracts and visibility. Media looking for page views, viewers, and listeners. Unless a report is clearly sourced or from the U itself, its probably better to assume its wrong rather than freak out.

Honestly, how so? We got rid of Brew early and the U had lots of time to set targets and do behind the scenes feelers (plus it allowed us to win some games and finish on a high note). It's not late in the game yet and all indications are that we're getting very close to the announcement. We definitely are not the last school looking for a chair before the music stops. The only real WTF moment IMO was the "Tubby-like hire" comment. That was a really bad move on Maturi's part.

IMO, the only way this is a fiasco before the hire is announced is if you take all the negative tweets/reports as gospel. That doesn't seem like a wise idea given the fact that there are so many competing interests involved here. The U trying to float trial balloons and manage expectations. Boosters pushing favorites. Agents angling to improve their client’s contracts and visibility. Media looking for page views, viewers, and listeners. Unless a report is clearly sourced or from the U itself, its probably better to assume its wrong rather than freak out.

You are far too rational for an interweb board. Go away.

In the short term view, he should get an interview. I am sure I was not the only one thinking he would not win a game. And I have to give the staff (and the team) credit...I haven't felt that good leaving a football game in years!
But think this thing through.
1. He has a terrible record as a head coarch. In this business past performance is the best indicator of future performance.
2. He was the OC for a Brewster offense that was pathetic. Predictable "pound the rock", play the same guys every play of every game.
3. Until he turned over the OC duties and started to innovate, take chances, play more players, he was just another Brewster. He only did this IMO because he had nothing to lose (and everything to gain).

On the other hand, if you have nothing that much better to choose from and really want to keep continuity, give him a 3 year deal with a $1 buyout.

Great post.

If it feels like a fiasco, we're not thinking rationally about it. Season has only been over for three days. Still games to play this weekend.

I must admit, I'm as guilty of overreacting as anyone. It's like a week-long Gopher game with all the ups and downs. Need some Xanax to settle me down. :D

Horton is not going to get the job but it is about respect. Promising an interview is showing an appreciation and acknowledgement for a job well done.
A lack of class shown by Maturi. Big surprise

I feel that Horton is kind of like Teen Wolf. He was momentarily successful, but does he really want to be that guy permanently?

So True. Plus, how often is Mark Holton going to nail that critical 3-pointer late in the game? You don't want to go up against those odds again.

Chubby.jpg

You are far too rational for an interweb board. Go away.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are two options for an internet message board, either the sky is falling or you drink the kool aid.

Horton does deserve a courtesy interview, but I'm pretty sure that will be about the extent of what it's going to be.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are two options for an internet message board, either the sky is falling or you drink the kool aid.

I've been alternating between these two on an hourly basis for the last 48 hours.

Horton deserves an interview. I don't think he should be the coach but he's at least earned my respect and deserves a courtesy interview.

Anyone notice the playcalling offensively became less predictable and more successful when Horton STOPPED calling the plays?
Just saying.

Anyone notice how we started finding success when we finally could run the ball? You run the ball, and stop the run, you should do pretty good in football. We did just that against Iowa. Not so much the last 50 games.

Anyone notice how we started finding success when we finally could run the ball? You run the ball, and stop the run, you should do pretty good in football. We did just that against Iowa. Not so much the last 50 games.

Ummm...didn't Illinois have a running back that went for 2 bills?

"Defense wins championships"
"Run the ball"
"Stop the Run"

These are all phrases people love.

My phrase
Score more points, by any means necessary.

Horton is not going to get the job but it is about respect. Promising an interview is showing an appreciation and acknowledgement for a job well done.
A lack of class shown by Maturi. Big surprise

I get there are reasons people are critical of Maturi, but honest to God. Maturi is all about treating people with respect. Why in the hell would he answer all those emails from fans personally if he didn't have that in him? Why in the hell would he be so accessible to fans at events? Why in the hell does he make it such an emphasis to watch all of the teams at the U?

I've heard and seen him thanking and praising not just Horton, but all the coaches, for the job they did. We have no idea what the agreement was when Horton took over or what has happened since then, but don't let that stop you. Ironic that class and respect seem so important to you.

Top Bottom