Horror Genre Recommendations

LesBolstad

Reaction score
How about some Horror movies that may be a bit obscure but are worth seeing? Not the usual suspects- ie Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.

And no, "Trump in the White House" does not count.

How about some Horror movies that may be a bit obscure but are worth seeing? Not the usual suspects- ie Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.

And no, "Trump in the White House" does not count.

Watch "The Haunting of Hill House" series on Netflix. It's a 10 episode masterpiece. My wife screamed multiple times and nearly jumped off the couch a few as well. The story is phenomenal.

Theodora is also nice to look at, and Carla Gugino has always been a looker. :)

I'm not a huge horror fan, but 2 films in the genre I do like:

The Gift (2000 film starring Cate Blanchett, not the 2015 one)

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Watch "The Haunting of Hill House" series on Netflix. It's a 10 episode masterpiece. My wife screamed multiple times and nearly jumped off the couch a few as well. The story is phenomenal.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Hush

Take a look, low budget but good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Korean movie "The Wailing" (about a haunted town) is quite good. Another Korean movie, Train to Busan (about a zombie apocalypse) is really good as well. Both are currently on Netflix. Korean film makers tend to handle horror really well.

Don't know if it's available on home video, but "Monkey Shines" by George Romero is an underrated horror/suspense movie.

Basic plot - guy gets in accident, becomes a quadriplegic, and he gets a monkey to serve as a companion animal. But - the monkey had been used in a lab experiment, and has developed psychic abilities. So, when the guy gets mad at someone, the monkey goes out to get revenge on his behalf. It's a George Romero movie, so it's a little weird and creepy, but entertaining.

Another in the wacky horror category is "Re-Animator." A scientist develops a way to bring the dead back to life, but things spiral out of control. Gory and over-the-top in spots. One of the main characters spends most of the movie as a disembodied head sitting in a pan, and commenting on the action.

I'd recommend rewatching the Gophers Nebraska game.

I recommend Slaughterhouse, 80s flick. Bad movie, and disgusting. Shows actual animal slaughter. Fun times. Or maybe you'd like Human Centipede, or its various sequels. Ick. I'm betting you'd absolutely love disgusting obscenities like these, especially since I was thoroughly repulsed. Enjoy.

Last edited:

+08. It's very well done. Also.....not a movie.....but Channel Zero on Syfy is terrific.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just posted the same thing in the other thread.

It's obvious, but Blair Witch project is great.

Paranormal Activity is good.

Do not watch Hereditary. It got great reviews for some reason, but I thought it was totally derivative.

It's obvious, but Blair Witch project is great.

Paranormal Activity is good.

Do not watch Hereditary. It got great reviews for some reason, but I thought it was totally derivative.

I didn't understand the love for Hereditary either. I wouldn't say "don't watch it".......but some people were praising it as one of the most terrifying movies of all time. I still thought it was alright.

Oh.....and to pimp Channel Zero a little more......they only do six episode seasons. This season begins this Friday with a new episode everyday after. Finale on Halloween. The first episode is on their website. It's creepy as hell.

I didn't understand the love for Hereditary either. I wouldn't say "don't watch it".......but some people were praising it as one of the most terrifying movies of all time. I still thought it was alright.

Oh.....and to pimp Channel Zero a little more......they only do six episode seasons. This season begins this Friday with a new episode everyday after. Finale on Halloween. The first episode is on their website. It's creepy as hell.

YEah, "do not watch it," was shorthand for, "you're going to get a bunch of good recommendations in this thread. Take those, and ignore Hereditary, assuming your time is valuable."

Top Bottom