Hopkins - Edina Game

UptownMaroon&Gold

longtime gopher sufferer
Reaction score
Got a chance to see Royce White and Hopkins (21-0) play tonight at Edina (20-2).

Hopkins is really fun to watch, if you get a chance to catch a game of theirs this year, go check them out. We left with about 2 minutes left when all the JV players were coming in with Hopkins up by about 25. Royce is a man among boys out there, can get his shot or get to the rim whenever he wants, no matter what kind of defense they played against him. Also seemed real eager to play solid defense of his own. I am not a professional scout by any means, but its obvious to see that he will be able to contribute right away next year for the Gophs. (not so sure about the "mohawk with the lines in the side haircut" though, maybe he'll get rid of that by next year)

It was interesting to watch the rest of Hopkins as well, they play pretty nicely as a team. (I have no affiliation to Hopkins) Watching 5 guys pass, screen and cut so effectively is refreshing to see, after watching the gophers offense.

Trent Lockett (committed to Ariz St.) looked really good as well, and had the dunk of the night off of an inbound alley oop. Pretty sweet.

Broghammer (Notre Dame) looked ok, but never really found his rhythm, and Cowels (Santa Clara) looks pretty decent too, played really nice defense in the game tonight.

Watch out for 10th grader Marvin Singleton, 6'4", can also really play, and is a great rebounder for his size. Joe Coleman is a smaller, but otherwise a exact look-a-like of his older brother Dan, didn't see too much action tonight but you would think might have some potential, hes just a sophomore as well.

Thanks Uptown for the excellent observations. I didn't know another Coleman is coming along.

If I can arrange it, I am hoping to see Hopkins play tomorrow night for the first time this season. Some are calling Hopkins the greatest high school team in Minnesota history and I can't wait to finally see them in person.

Top Bottom