Holmgren vs Texas

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Usually I just ignore non-Gopher players, but it was interesting to check in and see how he is doing. This is not meant to bash Chet, just some casual observations.

Chet looks like a tough player to fit into a game plan. Timme was the focus for this game and Timme didn't really try to pass or share the limelight with Chet. Chet was open many times and Timme just kept banging away until he got a shot.

Watched the condensed version of the game and it sure looked strange to see a 7+ footer standing out by the 3 point line while everyone else is crashing the board. Chet is not a focus of the offense or even an option.

Chet was playing center whenever Timme was out of the game, I though he wasn't going to a school that made him play center? Chet did a good job of passing and playing defense.

If all of the game are played like that Texas game, Chet will drop significantly in the NBA draft. The Zags had better find a way to exploit his talents or Chet may be disappointed with the outcome of his college career.

Maybe he will transfer to the U next year and have Ben build up his draft status...lol

Message to Chet Holmgren - You are a key missing piece for the Gopher's rise to the top. it's not too late to transfer.

I think Ben Johnson is building something special here. You will be the man. You will be a first-rounder playing in front of your family and friends.

Is it just me or did Timme do plenty of showboating and jawing out there?
Agreed. Saw him give high fives to some fans on the baseline among other things. I’m all for the raw emotion and even occasional taunt after big moments, but wasn’t a huge fan of his repeated celebrations.

Just like the pitch/toss against Iowa yesterday…. If you find a weakness in your opponent, you exploit the shit out of it until it’s fixed. Timme was 15-19 from the field… Texas had no answer.

Usually I just ignore non-Gopher players, but it was interesting to check in and see how he is doing. This is not meant to bash Chet, just some casual observations.

Chet looks like a tough player to fit into a game plan. Timme was the focus for this game and Timme didn't really try to pass or share the limelight with Chet. Chet was open many times and Timme just kept banging away until he got a shot.

Watched the condensed version of the game and it sure looked strange to see a 7+ footer standing out by the 3 point line while everyone else is crashing the board. Chet is not a focus of the offense or even an option.

Chet was playing center whenever Timme was out of the game, I though he wasn't going to a school that made him play center? Chet did a good job of passing and playing defense.

If all of the game are played like that Texas game, Chet will drop significantly in the NBA draft. The Zags had better find a way to exploit his talents or Chet may be disappointed with the outcome of his college career.

Maybe he will transfer to the U next year and have Ben build up his draft status...lol
I actually think Chet is a pretty easy player to fit into a game plan. He can have a huge impact on a game without any of the offense being run through him. He can shoot, he can pass, and rebound.

On defense, he can defend the paint and he is athletic enough to really defend the PNR.

It's always been bizarre that Chet's dad talked about not playing C. Chet will be playing C, at least on defense, for his entire career. You don't take a player like him who is a force defensively and take him out of the 5 spot on defense.

With Chet, his value is going to be as a super role player on offense and he'll be an absolute force on defense. At least, that is the theoretical Chet that is a top 5 pick. No one expects him to be a player the offense is run through.

This is all sacarasm right? Just making sure as there is no real logic for even a casual basketball fan. Timme was 15-19 and getting anything he wanted, why would you go away from that. Furthermore "Chet played C when Timme wasn't in " he was out 2 minutes so...

Chets game isn't predicated on scoring. He sure can but he's a clone of Evan Mobley in the style of KG. Great defender, great team player, zero weaknesses, doesn't force offense.

Again I'm going to assume this is a joke. Otherwise....🤡

Holmgren is going to be fine. For one, he is really talented and can impact the game in so many ways. Secondly, apart from a few great non conference games, they don’t play a tough schedule. So he will for much of the season be playing inferior competition which I think is another reason he chose to play at Gonzaga. He gets to play for a high profile winning program while getting bigger and stronger and developing. If he played for another program in a better conference he risks some of the few holes in his game being exploited. He would be beaten up and pushed around.

This is all sacarasm right? Just making sure as there is no real logic for even a casual basketball fan. Timme was 15-19 and getting anything he wanted, why would you go away from that. Furthermore "Chet played C when Timme wasn't in " he was out 2 minutes so...

Chets game isn't predicated on scoring. He sure can but he's a clone of Evan Mobley in the style of KG. Great defender, great team player, zero weaknesses, doesn't force offense.

Again I'm going to assume this is a joke. Otherwise....🤡
Ha, ha, ha….. real funny. I was just going by what I saw, not his reputation. Timme was not very interested in getting Chet involved in the offense, he wanted it all himself. The replay I saw showed Chet playing center much longer than the few minutes that Timme was on the bench. I must have missed him on the court.

I was just asking people what they think about how he is going to be used this year. I agree with other posters that their weak schedule will allow Chet more flexibility to show case his talents, if Timme will ever pass him the ball. Also that he will he needs to play center on defense.

Holmgren is going to be fine. For one, he is really talented and can impact the game in so many ways. Secondly, apart from a few great non conference games, they don’t play a tough schedule. So he will for much of the season be playing inferior competition which I think is another reason he chose to play at Gonzaga. He gets to play for a high profile winning program while getting bigger and stronger and developing. If he played for another program in a better conference he risks some of the few holes in his game being exploited. He would be beaten up and pushed around.
Exactly. Chet coming out of high school/college is the closet thing to Giannis at the same age. He will be the first or second pick because of this. He did the right thing in choosing a school like Gonzaga because any other conference would show is obvious lack of strength. Go somewhere that promotes your strengths and cash in. He is doing good just that.

Exactly. Chet coming out of high school/college is the closet thing to Giannis at the same age. He will be the first or second pick because of this. He did the right thing in choosing a school like Gonzaga because any other conference would show is obvious lack of strength. Go somewhere that promotes your strengths and cash in. He is doing good just that.
The next Giannis? Wow, that seems like a monumental stretch.

Holmgren is a unique player - and it will take the right coach and system to put him in a position that plays to his strengths. He is not a conventional "big man."

If he was with the Gophers, I could see him essentially running the offense as a point forward type of player.

The next Giannis? Wow, that seems like a monumental stretch.
Not really, Chet is a freak of nature much like the Greek freak. They both have extremely rare skill sets, and it'll be interesting to see how Chet develops. He will likely be a higher draft pick than Giannis was.

Agreed. Saw him give high fives to some fans on the baseline among other things. I’m all for the raw emotion and even occasional taunt after big moments, but wasn’t a huge fan of his repeated celebrations.

Is this the first time you've seen Timme play? ;)

Is this the first time you've seen Timme play? ;)
Ha, outside of the final four games last year, can’t say I’ve tuned into much Gonzaga the last few years. He wasn’t celebrating much during the Baylor game though :)

what’s his deal… pro radar? Frank Kaminksy without the three ball?

Ha, outside of the final four games last year, can’t say I’ve tuned into much Gonzaga the last few years. He wasn’t celebrating much during the Baylor game though :)

what’s his deal… pro radar? Frank Kaminksy without the three ball?
Haven’t watched him much either. But what I’ve seen Frank Kaminsky would be a good comparison. Big man with good size, touch, and footwork that’s able to dominate most teams at the collegiate level but would be pretty ineffective in the NBA due to his lack of athleticism. He’ll probably make a roster and get NBA paychecks, but won’t have a notable pro career IMO.

Not really, Chet is a freak of nature much like the Greek freak. They both have extremely rare skill sets, and it'll be interesting to see how Chet develops. He will likely be a higher draft pick than Giannis was.
I dont see the same physical potential for Holmgren. Giannis has cables for muscles and Holmgren looks like assembled match sticks. Skilled and tall to be sure, but he'll get abused in the NBA.

Who really cares? If he isn’t a Gopher, won’t waste 1 second of my life watching. Remember we have limited seconds in this life time.

Who really cares? If he isn’t a Gopher, won’t waste 1 second of my life watching. Remember we have limited seconds in this life time.
I agree, but all the hype just made me watch a condensed version of the game.

I consider myself a basketball fan, so yes I tune into all sorts of games especially ones with Minnesota players. Most folks on here are Gopher fans only, and don't know a whole lot about basketball.

I consider myself a basketball fan, so yes I tune into all sorts of games especially ones with Minnesota players. Most folks on here are Gopher fans only, and don't know a whole lot about basketball.
But do we know what we don't know?

Top Bottom