Holloway out for the season

Damn. That’s a bad way to start my day. Unfortunate news for Nia.

Agreed. I was really looking forward to seeing her athleticism on the court. She must be so disappointed. She is a really impressive young person and I am sure she will come back strong.

There are so many knee injuries in athletics, I almost wonder if everyone should go under the knife preemptively to surgically strengthen their knees!

Agreed. I was really looking forward to seeing her athleticism on the court. She must be so disappointed. She is a really impressive young person and I am sure she will come back strong.

There are so many knee injuries in athletics, I almost wonder if everyone should go under the knife preemptively to surgically strengthen their knees!
Both basketball teams will be missing their most athletic player.

I was afraid of something like this. Which is why hoped they’d pulled at least one more from the portal.
Now, they have less room for more injuries, so now I wish they got one more.

Incidental musings: I recall two other gopher freshmen suffering pre-season ACL injuries-Ashley Ellis-Milan and Kayla Hirt. Both Hirt and Ellis-Milan's injuries were at the start of fall camp.

Tough to lose her athleticism this season but it's an opportunity to develop depth. Really hope the remainder of players stay healthy.

Both men's and women's have players go down with knees in the summer??

Is there something weird that the strength staff is doing? That seems freaky unlikely?

Both men's and women's have players go down with knees in the summer??

Is there something weird that the strength staff is doing? That seems freaky unlikely?
I think its mostly bad luck, ACL injuries are really common in basketball players and much more likely in womens sports. We have had injuries on the womens side but we havent had many knee injuries at least in the Whalen era that I can remember so I think the staff has done pretty well. Its just a unfortunate situation.

This is a pretty big setback for the team I feel. While I don't think it changes the expected starting five, it moves the bench around and puts players in positions they either were not expecting to play as much or a position that maybe doesn't fit their skillset.

I think this thrusts Mallory Heyer into the backup PF/4 Role instead of possibly using her as a bigger SF/3. I think that also moves Isabelle Gradwell to the backup SF/3 position. It also might mean longer run for Rose who will slide between the 4/5 positions depending on the game.

The Nia Holloway injury has been a major loss.

-Production at the small forward position has been poor so far. That may get better.

-A missed golden opportunity for Holloway to get lots of playing time.

Bummer.

Hope her recovery is going well.

How much would Holloway have helped this year, and how much can she be expected to help next year? The fact that the Gophers have three true freshman starters who can more than hold their own is amazing. Would Holloway have been a fourth? Will she start next year and be an upgrade? To my eye, the team this year is short 1-2 Big Ten quality starters.

FYI Isabelle Gradwell has been shooting better since my last post. She contributes to realistic expectations, I think. She started the season with misses on the few she took and needed to contribute.

Next season will be interesting with Holloway and the 2023 recruits.

Others can speak to how Holloway may have done. I assume well.

This season was a golden opportunity to get reps and learn -- a freebie practice season where the record does not matter.

FYI Isabelle Gradwell has been shooting better since my last post. She contributes to realistic expectations, I think. She started the season with misses on the few she took and needed to contribute.

Next season will be interesting with Holloway and the 2023 recruits.

Others can speak to how Holloway may have done. I assume well.

This season was a golden opportunity to get reps and learn -- a freebie practice season where the record does not matter.
Agree on Gradwell. Can she comeback for a 6th year?

How much would Holloway have helped this year, and how much can she be expected to help next year? The fact that the Gophers have three true freshman starters who can more than hold their own is amazing. Would Holloway have been a fourth? Will she start next year and be an upgrade? To my eye, the team this year is short 1-2 Big Ten quality starters.
Holloway is the most athletic of the 4 and the best defender of the group. She's got a little ways to go on offense but she definitely woulda played quite a bit.

Top Bottom