Holiday Bowl Post Game Reaction Thread

Six false starts? Felt like more but perhaps they stung bad when they occurred. I felt like we had a moral victory in the first half and the Gophers clearly earned the victory in the second half. I'm proud of the kids and the coaching staff. Over all administration in addition to some professors needs to look in the mirror for a long time. Are we trying to build on the university as a whole or disrupt the process?

Yeah. I really expected the team to have quit and show up only to go through the motions. It would seem they really came in and played their hearts out. The defensive performance has me encouraged for next season. If a decimated defense can flummox a top 20 offense like that, then we could maybe have some real success next season. GO GOPHS!

To me it looked like Brooks was several steps behind schedule, he was being held at the beginning of the play. Would this be a timing play? Could explain why that pass was several feet in front of Brooks. Regardless it's amazing how what Mitch has done all year with devastating results somehow ends up winning us the game.

Mitch said in the post-game press conference that the throw was to the back of the End Zone so either Brooks would catch it or it would go out of bounds. There is a 3+ minute highlight tape on the Gopher Football website. It includes that throw. The D-Back for Washington State made a great play to to tip the ball but all the "it went from an interception to a touchdown" reports are off-base.

He had zero chance of picking the ball off or knocking it down. The only guy who had a chance of catching the ball was Brooks.

Certainly was a nice tip play though!

As I recall, neither TC or Leach actually played football (at least at the collegiate level) and I still kind of marvel at that since the game was a real coaching battle.

It also portends positive things for Minnesota's future. The coaching staff is obviously getting the younger players in and coaching them up so they're ready when their jersey is called. A tribute to Kill, TC, and the entire coaching staff for building the program right--brick-by-brick, if you will.

The problem, of course, is the dark cloud of scandal that's tainting everything right now. Makes it hard to really enjoy what was a nice, sweet win.

overheard on the trolley after the game from a WSU fan: "we just got beat by a team with no fans, no players and no coach"

the announced attendance was 48,704. Since I was sitting on the Gopher side I couldn't quite tell how many Gopher fans were there, but I'd say we had a lot of fans show up, though a bit fewer than WSU

With about 3 minutes to play the WSU side was already emptying out.

forgot to add, we evened the series with WSU 3-3. One other factoid they put on the scoreboard: first bowl game in Cali for the gophers since 1962

overheard on the trolley after the game from a WSU fan: "we just got beat by a team with no fans, no players and no coach"

the announced attendance was 48,704. Since I was sitting on the Gopher side I couldn't quite tell how many Gopher fans were there, but I'd say we had a lot of fans show up, though a bit fewer than WSU

There were easily more WSU fans in attendance, though it was a smaller margin than I had expected. I guess enough Minnesotans in the Southwest made the trek to put forth a respectable showing.

Side note, I really liked the Gophers players going into the stands and walking up and down the aisles giving fans handshakes and high fives after the trophy ceremony. A nice show of appreciation after the recent missteps.

So what is it - does Leach only go to coach teams with dinks for fans, or do the fans become dinks only once he's coaching their team?

ezgif.com-d1c802e7db.gif

Damn it the gif died!

Six false starts? Felt like more but perhaps they stung bad when they occurred. I felt like we had a moral victory in the first half and the Gophers clearly earned the victory in the second half. I'm proud of the kids and the coaching staff. Over all administration in addition to some professors needs to look in the mirror for a long time. Are we trying to build on the university as a whole or disrupt the process?

How many were from #55? It seemed like almost every time we had a false start it was on him. At least 3 of them were him, maybe more.

I met a number of WSU fans at the band concert on Monday night. All were very gracious. They are similar to our fan base in that they have suffered through a lot of bad seasons and those that I met seemed to understand that they have many reasons to be humble.

How many were from #55? It seemed like almost every time we had a false start it was on him. At least 3 of them were him, maybe more.

3 on 55. Pirsig was the only starter w/o one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom