Holiday Bowl Post Game Reaction Thread

Stan

Reaction score
What a fun game!! The D was dominating. And I mean dominating!!!!!!

Nice to get a tipped pass actually go our way for once.

The 2-point conversion may have been the longest in college football history.

Did I mention the D?!

Happy for the players and the coaches who fought hard and won the game, not for the haters in Central Administration and the faculty. The D played hard when undermanned, and the offense did enough. Only 1 turnover. The only exception to my happiness is I hope that Kahler get's stung by a Jellyfish on his extended stay out West. I hope he crosses paths with a black cat and has much misery coming his way.
I hope that President Kahler get's a bad case of hemorrhoids on the plane or some Montezuma's revenge for eating some spoiled chicken at some restaurant advertised or filmed on Dinners Drive-ins and Dives. He Kahler deserves(a full day of pitching soup) and much intestinal pain. That and any bad "will" and karma he has coming his way.

I cannot think of many games where I have been prouder of a Gopher team's effort and performance in a game. That goes for the entire staff as well. The team was incredibly well prepared and competed on EVERY down. :clap:

Unbelievable effort by the defense to shut down that offense for the entire game. Nobody else has really even come close to doing that this season. Ugly first half by the offense but they did enough in the second half to back the way the D was playing.

About the only dark mark on the game was yet another targeting call on McGhee, kid needs to figure out how to not go for the kill shot or he needs to find his way to the bench. I am all for hard hitting players but he is reckless and needs to learn to play hard and hit hard without being dirty.

I will freely admit I gave the team no shot to get this win today, great job all the way around by the players and coaches, especially when you factor in all the distractions they have had to deal with as they got ready to play.

These guys have restored my faith in Minnesota football. Great win!!

Everything set up for this to be an absolute blowout. Everything. But in the back if my mind, I couldn't get away from the fact that nobody has been able to blow this team out since Mid Oct. 2015. Until someone shows me otherwise, the days of The Gophers looking like they don't belong on the same field appear to be gone. The coming days for this program are going to be real, real interesting.

Unbelievable effort by the defense to shut down that offense for the entire game. Nobody else has really even come close to doing that this season. Ugly first half by the offense but they did enough in the second half to back the way the D was playing.

About the only dark mark on the game was yet another targeting call on McGhee, kid needs to figure out how to not go for the kill shot or he needs to find his way to the bench. I am all for hard hitting players but he is reckless and needs to learn to play hard and hit hard without being dirty.

I will freely admit I gave the team no shot to get this win today, great job all the way around by the players and coaches, especially when you factor in all the distractions they have had to deal with as they got ready to play.

Replay board didn't show the hit slowed down. Did he actually make contact with his helmet? Looked more like his shoulder and forearm.

Replay board didn't show the hit slowed down. Did he actually make contact with his helmet? Looked more like his shoulder and forearm.

He didn't make contact with his helmet. It's targeting because he launched himself at a defenseless player.

I've said all along that Tracy has assembled an impressive group of assistant coaches, and this game supports that assertion. Amazing game plan and in-game adjustments. The players played their minds out. If it was possible to forget the basketball team's choke, this would be a banner day for the Block M.

Great game!

We started a walk-on Center that has never played a meaningful snap.
We got multiple players involved on offense and made some clutch plays
In the end the OL got better as the game moved on.

Lots of judgement calls went for and against both teams. Completely different game if the opening TD for WSU doesn't get called back on holding call. Multiple reviews could have changed to final outcome.

Defense was unbelievable. I still can't believe was I watched on that side of the ball. 2-3 missed tackles all night.

WSU clearly did not get over the final two games of the year and was not interested as much as the Gophers. They were poorly coached last night. Good teams like MN take advantage of those situations.

Last four years of this program.

31-21 overall and won last two Bowl Games.

Amazing effort! Wow.

GOOD
>Defense was all-world last night. Only about 2 missed tackles I can remember. Players FLYING downhill, outhustling, outhitting WSU.
>Talk about overcoming adversity. Team was down 2 starting OL, which meant playing a walk-on. Down 2 starting DB's, which meant playing a walk-on and a true Frosh (who got injured, and whose backup -- the backup to the backup -- played great!).
>Myrick played his best game of the season. Absolutely blanketed their top WR.
>The DB's in general were so dominant. Falk had NOWHERE to throw the ball past about 5 yards down the field on most plays. Studs!
>Cashman was all over the field again. Coughlin and Huff also brought a good amount of pressure from that OLB spot. Awesome efforts.
>Leidner was very good in the second half -- looked like the first half of Wisconsin. Made several critical throws on 3rd down. The tipped pass TD was about his only bad decision.
>OL stepped up when they needed to on that last drive to grind out the win.
>Santoso may have had his best game of the season as well. Really stepped up and made a couple huge punts in a tight game.

UGLY
>I skipped bad and went straight to ugly for the targeting penalty (extremely stupid play) and the SIX false starts! I was pulling my freaking hair out.

This coaching staff busted their a$$es prepping for this game and got 100+ kids who made the trip clearly BELIEVING they were going to win. I don't see how Claeys and co get canned, but I guess it still may happen for the "incident." But man, last night was proof positive that it'd be a huge mistake, in my opinion.

Beat a team that should have been able to easily outgun us. Very nice.

Thought maybe this thread would have coach and player post game pressers. Anyone have an idea where I could find them?

Jay Sawvel might have coached his best game of his career last night, and the defense played their best game in years. Super proud of all the guys that contributed. Showed that this team is bigger than a few players. Shut down one of the best offenses in the country.

Now the search for a quarterback begins.

Thought maybe this thread would have coach and player post game pressers. Anyone have an idea where I could find them?

Usually they are up on Gophersports.com, but they aren't up yet.

Plus no You Tube of the presser yet either.

Curious if anyone has looked at the WSU sites to see what they are saying/thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year WSU put up:
24 in a loss at #10 Colorado
17 in a loss to playoff team Washington

Massive defensive effort

Curious if anyone has looked at the WSU sites to see what they are saying/thinking?

Found some on YouTube. Coach gave us credit, Faulk said gophers didn't do anything special, that they beat themselves and that was it.

Leach wondered if maybe the team didn't respect their opponent like they should have. Pretty tame for a Leach Presser.

This year WSU put up:
24 in a loss at #10 Colorado
17 in a loss to playoff team Washington

Massive defensive effort

We only gave up 12 so doesn't this mean the Gophers should be playing Alabama Saturday?

What a fun game!! The D was dominating. And I mean dominating!!!!!!

Nice to get a tipped pass actually go our way for once.

The 2-point conversion may have been the longest in college football history.

Did I mention the D?!

ezgif.com-d1c802e7db.gif

Considering the responses I've seen.... they've got a gopher level of fatalism going on with that fanbase.

There is a guy absolutely wide open in the back of end zone.

In the pregame thread, I was one of the few who thought we could win. I think Leach is vastly overrated, but he's the media's pet curmudgeon who "tells it like it is" so fables of his genius will continue. Sawvel had the perfect strategy, which is to confuse an air raid offense and make the QB check down (hopefully multiple times each play). I was not impressed with Falk's arm strength. The constant switching of looks disguised the coverages and blitzes. I've been critical at points as to how Sawvel and Claeys use the LBs, but it was perfect last night. In what seems to be somewhat convoluted logic, you hardly heard Celestin's name last night unless it was a big play, which to me means he was doing a great job in coverage. Our LB group going forward has the chance to be really, really good.

There is a guy absolutely wide open in the back of end zone.

That was a play we have run a few other times. That safety had seen it on film and diagnosed it perfect. Should have been an interception. Mitch threw it because every time we used that play this year the RB was wide open with the safety covering the guy crossing the middle. This time Mitch should have thrown it to the other option (WR across the middle). We got lucky, should have been another mitch endzone interception. It wasn't and I'll take it. Seems like it's been a while since a bounce like that went that way.

In the pregame thread, I was one of the few who thought we could win. I think Leach is vastly overrated, but he's the media's pet curmudgeon who "tells it like it is" so fables of his genius will continue. Sawvel had the perfect strategy, which is to confuse an air raid offense and make the QB check down (hopefully multiple times each play). I was not impressed with Falk's arm strength. The constant switching of looks disguised the coverages and blitzes. I've been critical at points as to how Sawvel and Claeys use the LBs, but it was perfect last night. In what seems to be somewhat convoluted logic, you hardly heard Celestin's name last night unless it was a big play, which to me means he was doing a great job in coverage. Our LB group going forward has the chance to be really, really good.

Can't blame the media too much.

Leach is tons of fun.

That was a play we have run a few other times. That safety had seen it on film and diagnosed it perfect. Should have been an interception. Mitch threw it because every time we used that play this year the RB was wide open with the safety covering the guy crossing the middle. This time Mitch should have thrown it to the other option (WR across the middle). We got lucky, should have been another mitch endzone interception. It wasn't and I'll take it. Seems like it's been a while since a bounce like that went that way.

To me it looked like Brooks was several steps behind schedule, he was being held at the beginning of the play. Would this be a timing play? Could explain why that pass was several feet in front of Brooks. Regardless it's amazing how what Mitch has done all year with devastating results somehow ends up winning us the game.

Top Bottom