Holiday Bowl: "Because our beaches are better than your blizzards"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Agree...anybody procrastinating about not going to San Diego look at the 60 day forecast.

Agree...anybody procrastinating about not going to San Diego look at the 60 day forecast.

yep, we complain when highs only get to mid 60s - too cold
For beer drinkers, San Diego County has over 100 breweries. There are tour companies that do brewery tours

yep, we complain when highs only get to mid 60s - too cold
For beer drinkers, San Diego County has over 100 breweries. There are tour companies that do brewery tours

What about fish tacos? Beer and fish tacos sound good. It's the airfare that I am hoping comes down to a reasonable range.

My in-laws live 10 minutes from the Stadium off of Friars Road and I visit yearly. The BEST Fish Tacos in the city are located in a Food Truck parked EVERYDAY in a liquor store parking lot on the corner of Friars Road and Via Las Cumbres- called Kikos Mexican Seafood. They will give you a sample of Seven Seas Soup while you wait.

The Beer scene is unbelievable in SD as well.

What about fish tacos? Beer and fish tacos sound good. It's the airfare that I am hoping comes down to a reasonable range.

Fish Tacos: this will give you an idea. Fish tacos are common and the ones that aren't good go out of business. The one on that list on Taylor Street is in Old Town. It may be a tourist area, but I like the restaurants in Old Town, including the fish tacos. That said my favorite is Pelly's Fish market in Carlsbad
http://localemagazine.com/go-fish-12-fish-tacos-in-san-diego-not-to-miss/

Airfare: I don't find a lot of cheap airfare into San Diego. John Wayne Airport is about one hour drive north, LAX and Burbank about two hours north. Vegas about 4.5 hour drive.
Sometimes I can find $69 flights to/from San Diego and San Jose or San Francisco on Southwest - should you be able to get to those airports cheaply

If you are not a complete Beer Snob

The Holiday Balloon parade isn't to bad, and you will get to see the Gopher band march along in it. They also have a battle of the bands set up at Navy Pier, unless they moved the location (can't remember where that is now).
Karl Strauss has pretty dang good beer flights and the food is decent at the Karl Strauss brew pubs. Little Italy has some decent restaurants downtown.
You can fly to Laughlin or Las Vegas and rent a car and drive to San Diego probably cheaper than flying in, probably even Phoenix is an option if you have time to drive. Flying to Palm Springs for golf and driving are also an option.
Flights this time of year do not get much cheaper for San Diego, trust me I know from visiting family multiple times. Unless you can pay that freight make alternate travel arrangements by air. Probably even cheaper to fly to LA or Burbank and drive but it is a four hour car ride with the traffic the way it is, should be two hour drives but we seem to have experienced 4 hour drives south except on Sunday mornings.

Stay away from the downtown hotels those are UBER expensive this time of year unless you insist on a view of the Bay.
Fill up your rental car before heading to turn it in, do not wait to fill up by the Airport or you will get sticker shock.

For the beaches, Like La Jolla Shores and Coronado beaches both South and North those were the cleanest, parking is kind of a pain around there though. Cornado stays sunny even when it is cloudy or the Marine layer comes in for the evening. Cornado Island is a nice place to visit for a day.
Didn't like mission beach south, thought it was very, very dirty( a lot of panhandlers) and way too much tourist trap, rip off for the food at the many restaurants. They will probably take the team to the original Dick's last resort, and to Mission beach because of the amusements.
GopherOhana is right Pellys fish market in Carlsbad is worth the trip if you're looking for Fish Tacos that are top notch. If your looking for cheap, Rubios Mexican isn't to bad if you want a cheap fish taco that has OK toppings bar. The water starts to get fairly chilly this time of year, but is still tolerable if your just walking along in the shallows. Bring sweatshirts for the evening, or a coat, it get's pretty chilly to cool in the evening, though you will be able to walk around in shorts during the day.

I always stay in Del Mar when visiting San Diego. I also never miss The Old Town Mexican Restaurant in Old Town. Besides the weather you can find Stone IPA on tap virtually everywhere - what's not to like about San Diego?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If flying into anyplace other than SAN mind the time of day. The 405/5 is generally horrible everywhere but particularly during workdays. Palm Springs and the 215/15 are generally a better drive/less traffic. There is no such thing as a great commute in SoCal except late at night.

Got flights & the rental car for the family booked, so the hard part is done (flying in to John Wayne, out of LAX). Seems like plenty of reasonable options for hotels both around Orange/LA & down in SD for the days we're down there.

Excited to be watching my team in a bowl game that I've watched on TV all my life.

Got flights & the rental car for the family booked, so the hard part is done (flying in to John Wayne, out of LAX). Seems like plenty of reasonable options for hotels both around Orange/LA & down in SD for the days we're down there.

Excited to be watching my team in a bowl game that I've watched on TV all my life.

Glad you were able to get flights! It will be a great time.

if you don't want to drive to the game, Amtrak will run trains for the bowl game. You can leave from Union Station downtown LA or the Anaheim station (about two miles from disneyland) plus some other stations along the way. Exit the Old Town station in San Diego then transfer to the Green Line trolley to Qualcomm. If you want to park someone during the game, Fashion Valley Mall is a stop on the Green Line between Old Town and Qualcomm

I think Amtrak schedules a train one hour after the game ends, timed to the bowl game

if you don't want to drive to the game, Amtrak will run trains for the bowl game. You can leave from Union Station downtown LA or the Anaheim station (about two miles from disneyland) plus some other stations along the way. Exit the Old Town station in San Diego then transfer to the Green Line trolley to Qualcomm. If you want to park someone during the game, Fashion Valley Mall is a stop on the Green Line between Old Town and Qualcomm

I think Amtrak schedules a train one hour after the game ends, timed to the bowl game

If I take the train, then how am I supposed to tailgate with my foam cooler that will get thrown in the garbage the minute I leave the parking lot & my Dick Butkus Qwick Grill? HA HA

Also, forgot to add, my wife is coming along with me on this trip. Who knows what would happen if she wasn't with & I caught an early flight home....probably a bunch of nude people would jump out of the bathroom ready to double team her when I walk in the door.....:D

Also, forgot to add, my wife is coming along with me on this trip. Who knows what would happen if she wasn't with & I caught an early flight home....probably a bunch of nude people would jump out of the bathroom ready to double team her when I walk in the door.....:D

That was my first thought on what you would walk in on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom