Holes in the Depth Chart/Classes

Losing those three (I think?) schollies in '09 for the APR thing didn't help either. Getting a good prep TE has to be a priority. Obviously Hageman was supposed to be that guy, but things have changed. Safety we knew would be a little bit of an issue, and now with the injury and Lewis leaving the CB depth short only enhances that issue.

DT is interesting. Ferguson's a guy I was anticipating a redshirt, but that might not be possible.

Needless to say, I'm willing to bet those three positions will be positions of priority during recruiting this year.

Great breakdown. It is good to see these things looked at from another angle. Keep up the good work.

I think it's an interesting problem that probably won't be talked much. Personally I have no idea how it gets figured out, but I'm going to trust Brew on this one. He's proven to have a plan when it comes to recruiting. Hopefully it's a long term plan, instead of filling these classes with JUCO's.

The lack of quality recruits from the 06 class still has an a major affect on our depth as there are a very sparse number of Mason recruits that are Sr. contributors: Weber, Alford, Burris, Ellestad this year and Brown and Campbell in 09. That's it. The 07 class is even worse as most have departed and the quality of Mason recruits was severly lacking. Brewster was taking warm bodies to fill in and Theret is the only one left standing. Thus Brewster has gone the JUCO route and may have to again in 2011. The key is retaining a much higher % of each class and Brewster seems to be on that track with the 08 and 09 classes. The trend the past 4 years with Mason was to have about 50% of each class hit the road before their eligibility was used. Not acceptable. But on the other hand, the vast majority of those were not of BT material. The feeling is that Brewster is making inroads on that as well but we still have to wait and see with that.

Keep up the great work MV as I visit your blog daily.

Top Bottom