Hole Poll: What grade would you give Gophers coaching staff in win over Colorado?

What grade would you give Gophers coaches?

• A

Votes: 74 70.5%
  • B

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • C

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flecks continues being terrible with the clock. When will someone get the stones to ask him to change his in game best? Great game -- first shutout of my fandom. RTB Ski-U-Mah Go Gops

C, CO was just plain bad. A b coaching effort results in 48-0

Can’t give someone an A with how bad they messed up the last minute of the first half. So whatever is slightly lower than an A

B in this poll

What grade for the coaches?
Offense and defense, an A. I don['t know if it was the white uniforms or the size of the Gopher offensive line, but many times they reminded me of old films of Bierman's teams shoving the opponents out of the way. Great job with ball control combined with pinpoint passing and a defense that smothered Colorado's offense. What happened in the kicking game was an outlier.

I said B just because of the end of the 1st half and the decision to try a 40-something yard FG on 4th and 3.

B. Did well, but should clean up mistakes. Just worry about injuries to Potts and Dunlap I am hearing about.

C, CO was just plain bad. A b coaching effort results in 48-0
the-rock-rolling-eyes.gif

I gave it a B for a couple of game management blunders even a 12 year old playing Madden would be embarrassed about.

But obviously the outcome and execution were top notch on the whole

Consensus seems to be overall A work by team despite clock management. Loved today good game gophers!

There were some things that could have been better, but they shutout a power 5 opponent, on the road, when they were underdogs, and won by 30.

That's an A all day every day.

I hope some of you aren’t teachers. Man. An A isn’t total perfection, it’s just “very good.” Not sure how you grade a 30 point P5 road shutout (first since 2006?) in which we weren’t favored as anything other than an A of some variety.

- Their clock management at the end of the first half was terrible. They really need to work on a hurry up offense and 2 minute drill - it takes them way too long to set up each play and at some point this will cost them.

- Their kicking game left 7 points on the field -- THAT will cost them at some point if it comes down to a FG/Extra point battle ala Florida vs. Alabama.

- HOWEVER - there were just too many good things to take away from this game. This was a game Colorado was favored to win and even I didn't think it would go our way before the game started. I thought at the very least it would be a tough game we would barely squeak by. This was a 32 point blow out vs. the spread that would have been 7 points more if the kicker didn't blow some kicks. The defense played an A plus game and should give every Gopher fan some hope going forward. Holding ANY team to 75 total yards left me wondering if we were this good or Colorado was this bad. This was the first time the Gophers have shutout any power 5 school since 1977. The offense revealed a couple new weapons and it was sure nice to see Ky Thomas and Bucky Irving step up in a big way as well as the return of CAB.

Was it perfect? No --- but there were just too many good things not to give it an A all the way.

The team just won 30-0 against a team nobody thought that would happen against. That’s an A on any curve ever designed.

Absolutely. How can it not be an A grade? The defensive game plan was outstanding; unprecedented actually. On offense, I suppose we could have opened it up a little more and we did have some bad plays but we also lost 7 points on missed kicks. Obviously, there was never a sense that the Gophers were trying to pile it on on the offensive end but they had pretty much complete control throughout the game. The Gophers passed just enough to keep the Colorado defense honest and the passing game was efficient for its 17 pass attempts.

I hope some of you aren’t teachers. Man. An A isn’t total perfection, it’s just “very good.” Not sure how you grade a 30 point P5 road shutout (first since 2006?) in which we weren’t favored as anything other than an A of some variety.
When you play as well as the team did, it makes up for an area that they didn't play very well in.

- Their kicking game left 7 points on the field -- THAT will cost them at some point if it comes down to a FG/Extra point battle ala Florida vs. Alabama.

I wouldn't get too concerned about the kicking game just yet. Trickett was one of the best kickers in college football two years ago (he had only 6 field goal attempts in the short 2020 season). Yesterday must have been one of the worst, if not the worst, game of his college career. He picked a pretty good game to have his worst performance since those 7 points didn't matter.

I wouldn't get too concerned about the kicking game just yet. Trickett was one of the best kickers in college football two years ago (he had only 6 field goal attempts in the short 2020 season). Yesterday must have been one of the worst, if not the worst, game of his college career. He picked a pretty good game to have his worst performance since those 7 points didn't matter.
I think the next time he goes out there for a FG or extra point everyone will be holding their breath a little bit. It would sure be nice to see him boot a couple long ones next week and everyone can regain some of the confidence because you know if he goes out and misses a couple more people like you and me and more importantly the coaching staff will be talking about it.

Agreed. All his misses were wide right I think. That could be a mechanical adjustment. I noticed later in the game, with MN 3rd and long near the redzone, they ran to the left hash. I was wondering if that was intentional to set up the possible field goal from that side.

I think the next time he goes out there for a FG or extra point everyone will be holding their breath a little bit. It would sure be nice to see him boot a couple long ones next week and everyone can regain some of the confidence because you know if he goes out and misses a couple more people like you and me and more importantly the coaching staff will be talking about it.
No need to hold your breath. Unless he has an injury we don't know about he will be fine. He has a long college career to prove his ability. In his total career he is 85% on field goals of all lengths. Yesterday he missed his second or third extra point in four plus years. (Something like 98/100 coming in).

He's fine and one of the best in college football.

Top Bottom