Hold your expansion horses - new combo of teams offered?

But what about the loyalty oath Texas took last weekend to stay in the big 12?

Doubt this has any truth whatsoever, but if it does I think it is a catastrophic mistake to include any Texas team in the Big Ten.

I just don't see Texas (and thus Texas A&M) joining the Big Ten. The Pac10 seems like a much more logical fit for them if they are set on leaving the Big 12.

I heard Maryland being thrown out there today for the first time, kinda makes sense if they want to expand eastward.

Amusing Column on Big 10 Expansion

The Big Ten's Midwestern Sensibilities
By Steve Chapman
June 8, 2010

In the Midwest, we don't have damp, blustery fall days: We have Big Ten weather. We don't have mammoth land-grant universities: We have Big Ten schools. You may insult our climate, our politicians or our Miss America contestants, but not the Big Ten.

Right now, people in high positions are talking about expanding the nation's oldest collegiate athletic conference. What they may overlook is that it's not just a sports association. It's an identity in a region that needs one.

There are few things that create a sense of common cause in this part of the country. From Manhattan or Malibu, it may look like an unvarying mass of stolid, overall-wearing meatloaf eaters, but underneath our placid exterior, deep differences abound.

The inhabitants of Madison, Wis., don't vote like the citizens of Terre Haute, Ind. The accents in northern Minnesota bear no resemblance to those heard in southern Illinois. Parts of Michigan get 20 feet of snow in a typical winter, while Cincinnati is lucky to get two.

You will not find many parents in Council Bluffs, Iowa, sending their children to receive a higher education in Columbus, Ohio. But on a fall afternoon, a lot of them can tell you whether Ohio State won or lost.

Other Americans want nothing more than to go to heaven. A Midwesterner is someone who would trade it for a trip to the Rose Bowl.

The advocates of conference realignment, however, are willing to blow up this comfortable, unifying framework. In pursuit of more television exposure and revenue, they are casting their eyes far beyond our region to identify potential new members.

Among the schools mentioned as possible additions are ones where most students couldn't find Minnesota on a map, such as Rutgers, Syracuse, Connecticut and Texas. Any of these additions would be as natural as the Tea Party nominating Nancy Pelosi. The first three belong to the Eastern seaboard. The Big Ten is the heartland.

Texas? Why, of course. And while we're at it, let's grant statehood to Guam. Bringing in the Longhorns would be like releasing alligators in Duluth -- not comfortable for either party.

The Big Ten already has some experience with trampling over its natural boundaries, from admitting Penn State in 1990. Nothing against the Nittany Lions, but it was a mistake.

Penn State is now and will always be the equivalent of your cousin's ex-husband who keeps on coming to the family reunion 20 years after the divorce. He's greeted politely then but forgotten any other time. But what good could have come from squeezing 11 schools into a conference with "Ten" in its name?

The battle to keep the Big Ten at 10 is lost, but a few rules should guide any expansion. If your students can harvest oysters without leaving the state, you are not a Big Ten school. If they can leave class and be standing in a cornfield within 20 minutes, you are.

Does summer smell like salt water? Out. Is it fragrant with cow manure? In. Mountains and beaches? Let's think about this. Flat vistas that go on longer than the Academy Awards telecast? Now we're talking.

The University of Missouri is located in a state that had slavery, which is not a Midwestern thing, but it stayed in the Union, which is. Lots of people in Iowa and Illinois already feel an affinity because they root for the St. Louis Cardinals and share the Mississippi River.

Nebraska and Iowa State? Their athletes wouldn't need cultural orientation classes to prepare for trips to West Lafayette, Ind.

Notre Dame, as everyone else knows, is a Big Ten school that just refuses to accept its obvious destiny.

In the end, there is something inseparable between the conference and the region where it grew up, and we tinker with it at our peril. So my advice to university presidents: If your students are happy to be called Midwesterners, you belong in the Big Ten. If they would take it as an affront, look elsewhere.

oprah(005-pointing-med).JPG

AND YOU GET AN INVITE!!!! AND YOU GET AN INVITE!!!! AND YOU GET AN INVITE!!!!

Interesting. I won't comment on how credible this source is, so I will just treat it as hypothetical.

I say NO!!!! to teams from Texas. Why? Because it is Texas. Complete cultural misfit. Texas is not in any way a midwestern state. The state of Texas has its own values and they do not align with those of Big Ten country.

The only reason Texas is considered is money. It sickens me that the Big Ten would even consider Texas as an option.

I could go on. I won't.

Why not take Texas? They are the best team in College football, why not claim them?

Frankly, I hate the idea of these super conferences - more evidence of TV and its money taking over college sports. Regional conferences of 10, 12 teams make sense - which is why I hope the Big 12 tells everyone else to take a hike. I don't even like Penn State in the Big Ten - they belong in the East with Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, etc. HOWEVER, if we did expand, Nebraska and Notre Dame would make the most sense, both being Midwestern and having played a lot of Big Ten teams over the years and both having national TV followings.

The only reason Texas is considered is money. It sickens me that the Big Ten would even consider Texas as an option.

Texas is a helluva academic school. The academia folks at all Big Ten schools would applaud adding Texas.

Interesting. I won't comment on how credible this source is, so I will just treat it as hypothetical.

I say NO!!!! to teams from Texas. Why? Because it is Texas. Complete cultural misfit. Texas is not in any way a midwestern state. The state of Texas has its own values and they do not align with those of Big Ten country.

I could go on. I won't.

Agreed, adding Texas would destroy the Big 10. Add schools that are fits with the conference so that a decade from now the conference isn't breaking apart.

Texas is a helluva academic school. The academia folks at all Big Ten schools would applaud adding Texas.

So is Stanford. And their athletics overall is quite good too. Oh and its in california, which has quite a few people, right? Which means more TVs!! Which means more money for Delany!!! It's perfect!!

Say No to Texas.

Saw this on Frank the Tank...

http://spartannation.com/?p=12002

At the bottom where it says "YOU CAN CLICK HERE", click it. This is something that got posted about a month ago that sent Delany apeshiite, threatening to fire the leaker. Note that it was updated last nite. Seems very close to the other NW rumor you posted (it may be the same poster). If you drill down thru to the 2nd link there's some interesting stuff on how the BT will accommodate nd & TX, who want to play each other each year.

http://spartannation.com/?p=12002

At the bottom where it says "YOU CAN CLICK HERE", click it. This is something that got posted about a month ago that sent Delany apeshiite, threatening to fire the leaker. Note that it was updated last nite. Seems very close to the other NW rumor you posted (it may be the same poster). If you drill down thru to the 2nd link there's some interesting stuff on how the BT will accommodate nd & TX, who want to play each other each year.

Good stuff...thanks for the link. One thing though, I just can't see how the BT agrees to a special rule, even if it brings in Texas/ND. How can you allow them to play just 7 games with the rest of the BT playing 8? No way, and no way you can guarantee a BCS bid as that goes much bigger than the BT and they can't guarantee it.

That being said, this is all fascinating.

Go Gophers!!

No way Texas would ever join the Big 10.
Can you imagine how much they would cry if they had to come to The Bank or Wisconsin
to play a game in November?

No way Texas would ever join the Big 10.
Can you imagine how much they would cry if they had to come to The Bank or Wisconsin
to play a game in November?

Saturday's in November in Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't that different than Nebraska or some days in Kansas. Sure you can get warmer days in Kansas in November, but it can easily be very cold that time of year there, likewise it can be seasonably warm some days in the upper midwest in November. December - February is when you'll find the big/consistent differences between MN/WI and a Kansas and Nebraska, to a lesser extent.

Go Gophers!!

Texas = Yes; A & M = No

Austin is not stereotypical Texas. UT is a great school. The Aggies with their fake cadet nonsense not so much.

Austin is not stereotypical Texas. UT is a great school. The Aggies with their fake cadet nonsense not so much.

But most people are sure that there is no way they split up under any circumstances. Some think that Tech is similarly bound to those two as well.

And I seriously doubt that Oklahoma (and therefore OSU) will want to be in a league with no Texas and no Nebraska.

The pac10 knows all this and (unlike the big10) it is willing to take the whole bunch of them.

I would love Texas. You bring a state of football crazies walking around with Big Ten pride. That helps recruiting, perception of teams, and TV times to watch games. Texas is a huge fish to snag.

I agree with the article. If you have to drive past 50 or 100 Division 1 schools on your way to your new conference addition, it is probably not sustainable. We should add Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas. Even take Kansas State and Iowa State if we have to and end up with a Super Regional conference that would last indefinately. Rivalrys are built in large part by proximity. Adding Notre Dame is a given if they can get over themselves enough to join a conference. Fun and interesting times!

IMO, Gopher fans should be 100% against any expansion that includes Texas. Not only for the reasons already stated above, but I think it leads to the inevitable break-up of the conference down the road. That would not end well for schools like Minnesota and Northwestern.

IMO, Gopher fans should be 100% against any expansion that includes Texas. Not only for the reasons already stated above, but I think it leads to the inevitable break-up of the conference down the road. That would not end well for schools like Minnesota and Northwestern.

Why would it lead to the break-up of the conference?
1) Minnesota is helped by the fact that the Twin Cities DMA is the 15th largest in the country (and the 4th largest in the Big Ten behind Chicago, Philly, and Detroit).
2) As has been mentioned over and over, the Big Ten is also an academically tight group with the CIC. This can't be downplayed.
3) To get the 2/3's vote needed to kick out a member, other "vulnerable" schools like Purdue, Illinois, or Indiana would have to vote in favor of booting us (thereby making it easier to get booted themselves). I find this unlikely.

If the Big Ten showed any signs of doing anything in the name of money (i.e. taking Texas Tech to get Texas) then yes, i could see such a think being worrisome. But that's not the moves they're making. Money is a driver, but they aren't prepared to sacrifice academics. The historical geographic makeup of the conference appears to be negotiable, but IMO worrying that expansion results in MN getting the boot is like worrying that the Vikings will share TCF with the Gophers.

So is Stanford. And their athletics overall is quite good too. Oh and its in california, which has quite a few people, right? Which means more TVs!! Which means more money for Delany!!! It's perfect!!

If Stanford showed interest in joining the Big Ten, I promise you it would happen. The academia folks would drool over that. Big Ten Network folks would, too. Stanford ain't coming, though.

Bottom line - Texas fits the biggest things the Big Ten is concerned with in expansion:

1) Academics
2) TV sets
3) Expanding into a major growth region of the country

The biggest question isn't whether the Big Ten wants Texas. It is whether Texas wants the Big Ten.

Taking Nebraska was the gamble for Texas. I think Missouri was in the mix to ensure that the Big 12 crumbled, but I think the Big Ten figured out they could get them to crumble by just taking one. In my opinion Nebraska is the sister/friend of the girl you really want. Texas bring academics and athletics. That is the brand the Big Ten tries to promote.

I don't think their students would appreciate the 9 am kick-off time for their game against Purdue.

When the expanded Big Ten begins (if Texas was in the league), I'd bet almost anything that within 4-5 years there will be rumors of a new Southwest Conference as Texas wonders why they should have to share money with Indiana and Northwestern. Same thing if Texas joins the Pac 10....9 p.m. tip off times for a basketball game at Washington State....share bowl money with Oregon State...baseball team flies home late Sunday after a series in Eugene. Seems inevitable.

Why would it lead to the break-up of the conference?
1) Minnesota is helped by the fact that the Twin Cities DMA is the 15th largest in the country (and the 4th largest in the Big Ten behind Chicago, Philly, and Detroit).
2) As has been mentioned over and over, the Big Ten is also an academically tight group with the CIC. This can't be downplayed.
3) To get the 2/3's vote needed to kick out a member, other "vulnerable" schools like Purdue, Illinois, or Indiana would have to vote in favor of booting us (thereby making it easier to get booted themselves). I find this unlikely.

If the Big Ten showed any signs of doing anything in the name of money (i.e. taking Texas Tech to get Texas) then yes, i could see such a think being worrisome. But that's not the moves they're making. Money is a driver, but they aren't prepared to sacrifice academics. The historical geographic makeup of the conference appears to be negotiable, but IMO worrying that expansion results in MN getting the boot is like worrying that the Vikings will share TCF with the Gophers.

It doesn't become 'likely' but it becomes a possibility. Once there's no geographic or other ties binding the conference, it becomes awfully tempting for the 'Eastern' division of ND, Texas, Texas A&M, OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan and Syracuse or a similar composition to break off and form their own conference. They could likely get their own cable network up and running quickly, making 75% of the previous revenue and only have to split it 8 ways instead of 16. There'd be no need for 'expulsion' votes, they'd be the ones leaving. And the 8 teams left in the West would be considered a mid-major conference at best.

It doesn't become 'likely' but it becomes a possibility. Once there's no geographic or other ties binding the conference, it becomes awfully tempting for the 'Eastern' division of ND, Texas, Texas A&M, OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan and Syracuse or a similar compisition to break off and form thier own conference. They could likely get thier own cable network up and running, making 75% of the previous revenue and only have to split it 8 ways instead of 16. There'd be no need for 'expulsion' votes, they'd be the ones leaving. And the 8 teams left in the West would be considered a mid-major conference at best.

ANYTHING is possible. Doesn't mean its worth wasting time worrying about. And yes, there will still be ties (academic and legal) even if geographic goes to hell.

Also, if the Big 10 is at 16 teams then you can bet that the Pac-10, SEC, and ACC will also have made moves to get to 16 teams (the 4 superconference model). An 8 team conference, regardless of the quality of teams, is going to have a hard time competing for revenue/power in that environment.

Texas is going nowhere alone, the Pac 10 pretty much has to give them their own little division of Big 12 friends and schools the Texas legislature won't let them break from.

I still think you don't want their ego. Texas is a school that could add the most but also is the most likely to cause long term stability issues.

It doesn't become 'likely' but it becomes a possibility. Once there's no geographic or other ties binding the conference, it becomes awfully tempting for the 'Eastern' division of ND, Texas, Texas A&M, OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan and Syracuse or a similar composition to break off and form their own conference. They could likely get their own cable network up and running quickly, making 75% of the previous revenue and only have to split it 8 ways instead of 16. There'd be no need for 'expulsion' votes, they'd be the ones leaving. And the 8 teams left in the West would be considered a mid-major conference at best.

A conference with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana and Northwestern (plus whatever expansion team) doesn't sound like a "Mid major at best" to me, even if this scenario was worth worrying about.

A conference with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana and Northwestern (plus whatever expansion team) doesn't sound like a "Mid major at best" to me, even if this scenario was worth worrying about.

That was an over-statement. However, it wouldn't be considered on the same level as the Pac 16, SEC-16 or the 'Eastern Bloc Football' conference that splits off.

Top Bottom