Hoke To Michigan

Just saw this tweet from Adam Rittenburg

Hoke gets choked up talking about players he has been able to influence over time. Ends opening remarks with "Go Blue."

Count me as someone who wanted Hoke to come here, but if he's getting choked up at the presser, I'll take Kill over Hoke any day. Especially at the opening press conference. STROKE THE POST!

Yeah getting choked up at the presser, fresh after the fired coach's own choking up moment with You Raise Me Up, is not cool.

Yeah getting choked up at the presser, fresh after the fired coach's own choking up moment with You Raise Me Up, is not cool.

Maybe all this crying has something to do with being a "Michigan Man"

Nothing, IMO. I think it says a lot more about where college football is now. This year there has been 3 Top 10 openings in FL, Mich, and Miami and none of the 'hot' coaches moved. And now Stanford has opened and Petersen already said 'no thanks'. It would be very easy to make the argument that the Gophers came out of this with a better coach than any of the big guys, and it sort of shows that, at least right now, the dreaded 'stepping stone' is an over rated fear.

I think RichRod's situation at Michigan made a lot of coaches question whether the move was worth it (I realize he hadn't been fired yet but I think everyone except Dave Brandon saw it coming). You can't just look at the pay check, you have to be realistic about your chances of being successful as defined by the fans/boosters in the situation. If you don't think you can come into Michigan and win 10 games a year starting year 2 or 3 and beat Ohio State 7 out of 10 years, you are probably better off staying where you are.

What does this say about the Michigan brand of football?

4 years ago they hired RichRod, a guy who'd been to BCS bowl games with a legitimate West Virginia team.

Now, they're scraping in the same barrels as schools like Minnesota and Indiana for guys who are largely unproven in big time conferences.

Don't get me wrong, I would have been happy with Hoke as our hire at Minnesota. But Michigan isn't used to taking chances on anything when it comes to football.

I agree. He would have been a solid hire for us. It'll be interesting to see if he has the star power to land 5 star recruits at Michigan. Any HS senior would have been in 6th grade the last time SCum was last a title contender. Or eating glue in Kindergarten the last time meechigan "won" a national championship (I can't wait for Nebraskduh to pound the skunkbears in the big hole to put that argument to rest).

You make a good point that SCum lowered their sights to get this guy. And if Hoke wasn't a "Michigan Man" he wouldn't have gotten an interview to be equipment manager.

Or eating glue in Kindergarten the last time meechigan "won" a national championship (I can't wait for Nebraskduh to pound the skunkbears in the big hole to put that argument to rest).

How does a game between two teams that bear absolutely no resemblance to those of 14 years ago "settle" anything?

And why did you put "won" in virtual air quotes? Why is Nebraska's coaches' poll championship more "legitimate" than Michigan's AP championship? It was about as close to a true split national championship as there has ever been. If anything, Nebraska is the one who "won" the national championship that year.

Top Bottom