Hoke is Fired

How many 5-7 win seasons would it take before they resort to putting blue baggies over sections of the seats like the Metrodome had in right field?

I suggested this to a Mich. alum in Ann Arbor as the ultimate way to stick it to tOSU and really amp up the rivalry. He said, "we don't cheat at Michigan." I wanted to say something about the whole Fab Five thing, but decided to be MN nice at not disturb his delusion.

After talking to a fair amount of Michigan fans at this years game, I think the only thing that will satisfy them is if they can do the Jurassic Park thing and bring Bo Schembechler back from the grave.

That's really funny! They are really nostalgic for the Bo years? What about Lloyd Carr?

It's not particularly odd given the slide in Michigan's performance, but he was playing with Rodriguez' players who were recruited for a different offensive scheme. But that team was a mess this season. It may seem totally innocuous, but the third-string QB not knowing where his helmet was during their game against us says something about the lack of focus on the team. That kind of junior high stuff shouldn't happen at a major college program.

What I find a bit ironic is that a lot of boosters chased Rodriguez out and worked hard to bring Hoke in. I still think Hoke made no secret of his meeting with Maturi and Mona to force Michigan's hand. I don't know whether he would have ever come to Minnesota or not, but I think he clearly wanted to land in Michigan at some point and he used us as an attempt to strengthen his position. But the moral of the story is beware of boosters.

Nice reporting by whoever said he was staying yesterday

There are now three jobs open, Florida, Nebraska, and Michigan.

Let start with Florida. This is the best job. You are right in the best recruiting area. Urban and Steve won National Titles. And haven't since they left. It needs to be a head coach known with a staff known for recruiting. No Co-Coordinators need apply. SEC experience a plus, National Title a plus. Must have shown both offensive and defensive abilities.

Candidates in no particular order. Gene Chizik, Phillip Fulmer, Terry Bowden all have the credentials. Wild Card Jim McElwain

Nebraska has a problem on the field, as well as with the fans. This Job will go to someone who will regain the fans.
Not so important he be a head coach but it would be nice. Some connection with "Glory Days" is a plus. Must embrace the blackshirt defensive identity. That black shirt is earned not given. Must have a defensive coordinator or be a defensive coordinator.

Candidates in no particular order: Scott Frost, Gary Patterson, Craig Bohl. Wild Card Greg Schianno

And finally Michigan. It time to get off the idea of a Michigan Man. How did Hoke and Brandon do for you?

You need a big time coach, someone who can win the Big 10, or has who has won the Big 10 Championship. You can forget about Les Miles. He sits in the best recruiting area, is revered in Baton Rouge. He's not going anywhere. Jim Harbaugh is a pro coach see Tony Dungy. They need to Think outside the Michigan Box.

Candidates: Jim Tressel, Pat Narduzzi, Butch Davis. Wild Card Mike Gundy

Candidates in no particular order. Gene Chizik, Phillip Fulmer, Terry Bowden all have the credentials.

Are you working on material for your stand-up routine? Or did you get confused while you were typing and thought you were talking about candidates for Florida Atlantic?

Terry Bowden? What is this, 1992?

Are you working on material for your stand-up routine? Or did you get confused while you were typing and thought you were talking about candidates for Florida Atlantic?

All three won the SEC. Two won National Championships.

Here are some more coaches with national titles: Ara Parseghian, Johnny Majors, John Robinson, Vince Dooley, Danny Ford, Howard Schnellenberger, and LaVell Edwards. I'm looking forward to seeing all of their names coming up in the Florida head coach search.

Did anybody here Stephen A Smith on ESPN First Take today?

"Brady Hoke didn't forget how to coach the game of football. I just think he can't recruit. That's really the problem because you look at their talent and it's flagrantly absent. Thats your problem, talent. I don't know if it's coaching. I don't know or watch much of Michigan this year but I don't know if there is as much talent as there is coaching. Talent, lack thereof, there bereft of it."

Hoke brought in the composite #20 ranked class in 2014, #4 class in 2013 and #6 in 2012. One of the more idiotic statements he has said on that show which happens a lot.

"Brady Hoke didn't forget how to coach the game of football. I just think he can't recruit. That's really the problem because you look at their talent and it's flagrantly absent. Thats your problem, talent. I don't know if it's coaching. I don't know or watch much of Michigan this year but I don't know if there is as much talent as there is coaching. Talent, lack thereof, there bereft of it."

Hoke brought in the composite #20 ranked class in 2014, #4 class in 2013 and #6 in 2012. One of the more idiotic statements he has said on that show which happens a lot.

Very Idiotic. Although he admitted that he didn't watch much Michigan football. How does he know that their talent is absent if he didn't watch them?

I always find the talking heads on the "all sports" shows to be less than well-informed on a lot of subjects. Smith is a decent basketball "guy," but you'd think he and/or his staff would look things up before saying stuff like this. Like Homer Simpson once remarked quizzically, "The internet is on computers now?"

I think the problem Hoke had isn't that much different than the one Brewster had (although Hoke is a much better coach). After two disappointing seasons, Rodriguez appeared to have found his footing at Michigan and a solid core of players remained from his tenure to play Rodriguez' scheme. Instead of chucking all of his predecessor's approach--is what Brewster did--Hoke appeared to try and walk a tight rope of tweaking some aspects of Rodriguez' scheme while trying to recruit players for the pro-set that he preferred. Square pegs and round holes to some extent.

The thing that surprises me is both Rodriguez' and Hoke's teams looked to play undisciplined football. The Wolverines have pretty much looked like a mess over the past seven years.

Hoke was a darling in both the coaching ranks and the press when he was moving up the ranks, so a lot of people are surprised (myself included) at his inability to get from Point A to Point B in Ann Arbor.

Top Bottom