Hoffarber's shooting

cncmin

Reaction score
Hoff started shooting bad the game that Tubby put him in as 11th man. He was fine before that. I remember thinking at the time that you don't mess with a shooter's head. In fact, if I recall I posted something about on the subject. 2-for-21 later...

He's scared to shoot. It's likely all mental. The fact that so many are going in and out on him probably isn't helping.

Sure he's tense. He's not getting any open looks against Big Ten defenses.

Blake shouldn't be allowed to shoot in practice until the Indiana game. If it is a confidence issues, let him forget about shooting all together.

He needs to keep shooting, but only if they are good shots. It is fine to force it when you are on a hot streak and nailing half of them. But jacking up contested 3's is just going to hurt his confidence right now. If they could get the ball inside then throw it out to him his percentage would go up...big IF!

We almost never get an uncontested shot. Meanwhile, most of Purdue's were exactly that. Same thing vs. Northwestern, and 3/4 of the WI game.

Our shots come mainly off of one-on-one moves. Had we not been the beneficiaries of a great many calls tonight, and hit about all of our many FT's, this one would have been a 25+ point blowout. It's getting that bad now.

Being able to make a shot has nothing to do with when you have the opportunity to do it. Whether Hoff is starting or the 11th man, when he gets in he knows he's the guy to light up the 3's, last year he did it, early this year he did it, and right now he can't do it. I said it before and need to say it again, he needs to expand his offensive game to get his shot back, he needs to drive and get to the free throw line. After that he'll get loose again and stroke it like we've all seen.

Blake shouldn't be allowed to shoot in practice until the Indiana game. If it is a confidence issues, let him forget about shooting all together.

This is the single dumbest thing I've ever read. I nominate this for idiotic post of the year for GH 2009.

Hoff took some good shots tonight but when you're going bad, they just don't fall. The first 3 he took went in and out of the hoop and would've been huge but that's just what's going right now.

"Freshman Blake is better than Sophomore Blake"

False.

"Freshman Blake's 3-point percentage is better than Sophomore Blake's 3-point percentage"

True.

In our 7 conference games so far, Hoffarber is 4-28 (14%) on threes, 8-33 (24%) overall, and has yet to get to the free throw line in 153 minutes.

In our 7 conference games so far, Hoffarber is 4-28 (14%) on threes, 8-33 (24%) overall, and has yet to get to the free throw line in 153 minutes.

Not sure what the deal is with Blake. Watch him in warmups and he hits three-pointers like they're free throws. I watched him last night a little and he was stroking big time. I said to my wife that Blake would have a big night after seeing that. So, it isn't like he's totally lost it.

He'll bust out of it, and the Gophers will be better. He opens a few things up.

And, yes, it'd be nice to see him get to the line. Problem is he really can't create his own shot or draw contact like Al or Lawrence can.

Guys, it is pretty simple. Blake, even in HS, was never quick enough to beat his man off the dribble. He is strong, runs off picks well, sets his feet perfectly and has possibly the quickest release in the BT. But he is not first step quick.

Last year, as an unknown freshman, Blake used his strengths to produce some great scoring. This year, as a known quantity having been well scouted, the opposition is bellying up tight on Blake, minimizing his chances and causing the low output.

For us to get the production back, we need either
1) Blake develops quick first step so he can drive around the defense or
2) We specifically put a few plays in to get Blake the ball coming off screens.

Tubby has recognized this as we have a double post screen play in for Blake (at least I saw it a few times in the last couple games). But it is more of a lane curl, rather than a 3 pt shot. I would rather have the 3.

I think that he needs to be able to create his own shot off the dribble. If he dribbles other players know he wont shoot the 3. I have never seen him shoot after dribbling except a layup.

I've been waiting for his mid-range jumper but he doesn't even attempt them. I was hoping he would develop some kind of mid-range jumper this year but I guess not. Everyone expects him to shoot 3-pointers. In Big Ten play, he's shot 28 times from 3-point land and has only five 2-point attempts, which have mostly been layups. I wish he was able to pump fake at the 3-point line, take a few dribbles in and hit the 15 footer. If he shows he can hit that shot, it may loosen up the defense just enough for him to get a few more open looks behind the arc.

one-dimensional

Hoffarber, despite what many have said on this message board is completely one-dimensional. He simply brings nothing else to the team if he's not hitting 3's. He is a liability defensively and as a ball handler. I strongly believe that he needs to sit right now.

We act as though we've never heard of a shooter hitting a slump before. It's pretty obvious the guy is just off right now. Watching his shots last night, the stroke looked good, and on most of them, I thought they were going in until they touched a little rim and bounced off. He'll have a 5 for 5 game shortly, I believe.

He is a liability defensively and as a ball handler. I strongly believe that he needs to sit right now.

No, he's not.

Why do we have this sudden influx of new members with a few posts that are bashing the players and coach.

Have we picked up a few trolls ?

No, he's not.
You're right. He's not one-dimensional. But last night I think he was. He looked rattled and did not play well. Purdue's D was probably the main cause, but I think the shooting is getting to him. At some point, it has to, doesn't it? This is crazy slump.

Hoffarber

Blizzard Quote:
He is a liability defensively and as a ball handler. I strongly believe that he needs to sit right now.

No, he's not.

Why do we have this sudden influx of new members with a few posts that are bashing the players and coach.

I am the furthest thing from a troll possible, but I'm pretty sure that this board isn't meant to be blindly positive about everything related to Gopher BB. I think Hoffarber can be a valuable player in limited minutes. Hoffarber simply gives the team nothing of value if he's not hitting his shots--he's not gonna break down the defense and create easy buckets for teammates, he's not gonna shut down the other team's best scorer and he's not gonna be a great rebounder, etc. I don't think he's a starting caliber player because he is one-dimensional and slow afoot. I'm not suggesting that they yank his scholarship or anything like that.

Blizzard Quote:

No, he's not.

I am the furthest thing from a troll possible, but I'm pretty sure that this board isn't meant to be blindly positive about everything related to Gopher BB. I think Hoffarber can be a valuable player in limited minutes. Hoffarber simply gives the team nothing of value if he's not hitting his shots--he's not gonna break down the defense and create easy buckets for teammates, he's not gonna shut down the other team's best scorer and he's not gonna be a great rebounder, etc. I don't think he's a starting caliber player because he is one-dimensional and slow afoot. I'm not suggesting that they yank his scholarship or anything like that.

I think you will find that to be the case. Look at a few of the threads that question any facet of the coach, and you will soon see the reality.

TRUTH.

I am the furthest thing from a troll possible

Fair enough. My apologies. I'll look forward to reading your posts in the future.

I think you will find that to be the case. Look at a few of the threads that question any facet of the coach, and you will soon see the reality.

Nothing wrong with criticism. The bashing is getting on my nerves. I found myself doing a fair amount last night until I realized that perhaps my expectations after our 16 - 3 start may not be in line with reality. Which coincidentally doesn't seem so bad considering where we were at this time last year and certainly compared to where we were a few years ago. That doesn't take away that the boys have some work to do but it does allow that we have a little ways to go yet.

cncmin -- isn't this sort of a chicken / egg thing? Which came first -- the 11th man spot or the can't shoot reality? I think we go by game play too much because that's all we see so that's all we have to go on. We don't get to see practice so we assume everything is based on game play, but it isn't. Perhaps he can't hit his a$$ with both hands in practice either.

TRUTH.

I agree, it is the sad but true reality. I like Hoffarber but do agree that he is just to slow to create his own shot of the dribble and his lack of quickness makes him a defensive liability as well as the fact that he is not that good of a ball handler. I think with the athletic teams like Purdue we need to be player the quicker guys like Devron Bostick. He is starting to come around and even when he doesn't hit his shot he is quick defensively.

his lack of quickness makes him a defensive liability as well as the fact that he is not that good of a ball handler.
This may have been true last year, but it isn't this year.

Hoffarber has consistently been able to guard the opposing guards without any apparent liability. The few times that E'Twaun Moore tried to go 1 on 1 with Hoff last night he was called for a travel, the 2nd time put up a tough, contested shot that bounced out, and the 3rd time couldn't get to the hoop.

This year's Hoff is definitely not last year's Hoff when it comes to his defense. If he couldn't guard anyone defensively, especially quick SG's, he wouldn't play, simple as that. Even Tubby and the staff has stated the reason that Bostick has not played many minutes this year is because he is so bad defensively.

Also, Hoff is not the best ball handler, but a major reason that he continues to play, including the final important minutes of the Wisconsin game is because he doesn't turn it over. Sure, he's not penetrating and blowing by anyone, but he also is not driving out of control, throwing it away like our other guards have been doing lately. He makes the easy pass; whether it's a quick reversal or entry pass. He doesn't "ooh" the crowd with his passing, but he doesn't try make the amazing no-look pass which results in a turnover either.

I know he's a great shooter and probably be able to hit NBA 3's..but I wonder if the moving of the 3 pts line farther have any mental problem with him...

I have no idea why blake's shots aren't falling. I do know that if he is to regain his stroke he has to keep shooting.

>>He'll bust out of it, and the Gophers will be better. He opens a few things up.<<

I think it might be just the opposite. If we were able to punch the ball inside more consistently to the point where defenses would need to sag on the big boys, it would open up Hoff on the perimeter.

I dont think blakes shooting is our biggest concern as far as losing. Blake may not be able to create his own shot but he doesnt turn the ball over, and is pretty steady handling the ball. he also grabs rebounds and hasn't been a liability on the defense end lately. He might be working on other parts of his game and thats a good thing, because he'll always be a shooter

Top Bottom