Hoese on earlier downs and on a regular basis

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
Hoese plows through people when they know he is coming and are set up to stop him. I think the Gophers should give opponents a regular dose of him. That would set up some fakes to him and free up the tailbacks to get some longer runs because defenses would have to concentrate on him on every down.

You are correct sir. This was game one. They established him on the goal line, short yardage, and a couple fourth down tries. Without tipping anything, this sets up a miriad of uses for Jon Hoese, and I think he is more than capable.

He was especially effective aganist the quicker, lighter front of MTSU. Running directly at them proved most effective. And while stretch, and outside zone worked well. Passing to the outside, swinging it to a back was bad deisgn. MTSU rallied to the ball in the air. The passing that was most effective was a deep cross to Lair, and the deep sideline to McKnight. That put defenders in one on one coverage, and it was as easy as pitch and catch.

brilliant comment by the announcer regarding Hoese

He said last year "Hoese had 0 carries for negative yardage"! LMAO How is that even possible? Can't make it up.:eek

He means he was never tackled behind the line of scrimmage when he carried the ball last year.

Ha ha...yea, my brain took a minute on that one too. Its a cool stat though. Never gets stuffed behind the line. Its impressive!

Ha ha...yea, my brain took a minute on that one too. Its a cool stat though. Never gets stuffed behind the line. Its impressive!

Thanks for the clarification - at the time I didn't hear it that way. Makes sense now.

Top Bottom