Hockey = less D I football players

When my kids played at a good hockey and football school, both the football coach and the hockey coach discouraged playing both sports. Would not work together on tryouts and told kids they could not skip practice to tryout for hockey, hockey coach scheduled ice during football practice. Before this ridiculous policy by both coaches this school, both sports excelled. Now crappy at both. All sports are better with multi talented athletes.

The biggest problem with Minnesota High School football producing d1 talent is a demographic issue.

Small towns are dying and our city schools don’t produce talent at the rate they should per capita.
There really should be 2-4 kids from Minneapolis or St Paul public schools per year capable of playing d1 football. For whatever reason, it seems like there is 1 every 3-5 years.

the biggest population centers are producing very few football players.
Tyler Johnson
Hageman
Jeff Jones
Who else recently? I’m not even sure

The biggest problem with Minnesota High School football producing d1 talent is a demographic issue.

Small towns are dying and our city schools don’t produce talent at the rate they should per capita.
There really should be 2-4 kids from Minneapolis or St Paul public schools per year capable of playing d1 football. For whatever reason, it seems like there is 1 every 3-5 years.

Tyler Johnson
Hageman
Jeff Jones

The population center does indeed produce 2-4 kids with talent per year...they just happen to attend schools in the suburbs or private instead.

Iron sharpens iron. If a kid wants to improve their skills they need to train and play against the best competition. Can’t blame kids for making that decision....just like you can’t blame a kid for going to tOSU and risk riding the pine vs. staying home with immediate playing time.

The elite high school programs have been organized since youth and have access to better training. The cities schools may have raw talent but may not have the support system to allow them to reach full potential.

It can I remember George Pelawa he was an all-state linebacker out of Bemidji 6'3 245 he was attending North Dakota to play hockey when he died in an automobile accident.
He was a load. Outstanding player. So sad.

The population center does indeed produce 2-4 kids with talent per year...they just happen to attend schools in the suburbs or private instead.

Iron sharpens iron. If a kid wants to improve their skills they need to train and play against the best competition. Can’t blame kids for making that decision....just like you can’t blame a kid for going to tOSU and risk riding the pine vs. staying home with immediate playing time.

The elite high school programs have been organized since youth and have access to better training. The cities schools may have raw talent but may not have the support system to allow them to reach full potential.
Even with transfers to the suburbs what I said remains true.
If Minnesota wants to produce more d1 talent, kids from the city schools need to be the solution.
And not just kids from city schools that have money and access to transfer to private schools or suburbs.

Believe it or not, there are some great athletes that don’t play football at all. (And they aren’t playing hockey either).

Tyler Johnson
Hageman
Jeff Jones

Minneapolis and St. Paul are not the population “centers”. They are the geographic centers. There are 3.2 million people in the TC. 725k in Mpls and St. Paul propers. Less than 1/4. Ipso facto they’ll produce 1/4 or less of D1 football prospects simply by numbers.

If the TC produces 12 legitimate D1 prospects, you might get 2-3 from the cities proper.

Last edited:

Joe Dziedzic was definitely big enough to play...

Minneapolis and St. Paul are not the population “centers”. They are the geographic centers. There are 3.2 million people in the TC. 725k in Mpls and St. Paul propers. Less than 1/4. Ipso facto they’ll produce 1/4 or less of D1 football prospects simply by numbers.

If the TC produces 12 legitimate D1 prospects, you might get 2-3 from the cities proper.
There are about 10 city schools who have the demographics that produce football players in Cleveland, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Gary, Flint,
and we get 1 player every 3-4 years.

If you don’t think awful city football is the problem, I can’t help you

There are about 10 city schools who have the demographics that produce football players in Cleveland, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Gary, Flint,
and we get 1 player every 3-4 years.

If you don’t think awful city football is the problem, I can’t help you
So many factors. Poor youth programs, money, leadership, open enrollment. Football in the places you named is a much larger part of the culture than it is here.

So many factors. Poor youth programs, money, leadership, open enrollment. Football in the places you named is a much larger part of the culture than it is here.
Yup.
I didn’t say it was a simple fix

Top Bottom