Hire Mike Leach

neut41

Reaction score
It's inevitable that this topic is going to come up, so I might as well be the one to post it. I completely understand that Brewster should be given at least another year (even if I'm not his biggest fan). However, if Maturi wanted to make a big splash move right now and does not believe that Brewster is the coach to get it done, then he should make the move and hire Mike Leach right now.

This could be Maturi's "Tubby hire" for the football program. I understand that the James situation has put a little bit of a cloud around Mike Leach, but from what I've read (which I admt is limited to what has been publicly disclosed) I'm siding with the respected and eccentric head coach over the son of an ESPN blowhard.

Imagine what Leach could do in a large city with a new stadium in a conference that struggles to stop offenses like Leach employs. Just some food for thought...

I'm no Brewster fan either, but give me a break. No program is going to touch him with a 10 foot pole until this matter is completely investigated/resolved which won't be any time soon. Brewster gets next season to prove himself. if we're 3-6 on November 1st, I'm sure Mike Leach will be available if we want to strike fast and hire him before everyone else has a chance.

I was just going to say, this was inevitable.

Mike Leach is in no way a "Tubby-esque" hire, IMO. I'll bank on Brew's ability to recruit noted athletes to MN than Leach's ability to do so to a TX school. The offense will come together, we just need time. I don't want any of our offensive players reading a new playbook for the next four years. We will continue to struggle if this is the case.

That's a fair point... It's certainly an interesting situation. Maybe I'm jaded, but in this era of helicopter parents and entitled kids, I'm inclined to believe Leach got a raw deal. Still, it's interesting to think about. In a perfect world, things will come together for Brewster and the program and we won't have to worry about who is going to be the next coach.

ROFL no.

Hire Urban Meyer instead.

I've said it on several threads, if Leach perceived James as having an attitude problem, he should have kicked him off the team months ago. There are malingerers in every program and they are often shown the door in one way or the other. Leach was the head coach and if James was not doing his work in practice or the off-season, sit him during the games and if James doesn't like it, he can transfer. Looks like Leach took a more passive/aggressive and demeaning approach to the problem and, in effect, got too clever by half.

If James had a concussion, no amount of spinning can save Leach here.

There's no rush here. As has been said, he'll be getting a year off and will certainly be near the top of the list of possible big-time replacements a year from now.

Leach kind of reminds me of Charlie Weis complete with the "I'm the smartest guy in the room" quality. No question he's a good coach and if he learns from this, he can come back and be an even better coach.

No thanks. He is an arrogant, abrasive a-hole who thinks he is accountable to no one. He is a poor man's Rich Rodriguez.

Personality scale:

Sourpuss Pr*ck > Dull Witted Blowhard.

I've named no names.

No thanks. He is an arrogant, abrasive a-hole who thinks he is accountable to no one. He is a poor man's Rich Rodriguez.

He's Mason through the air, nice offensive system that puts up huge numbers, no defense to speak of.

Why are we talking about replacing Brewster? My son and I just talked about this a bit today. This past season nearly fit the blueprint of every expert I heard. Several of them went far out of their way prior to the season in stating that the Gophers were likely to field a better team with a lesser record than the year before. So, we lost to OSU, PSU, Iowa, Wisconsin and Cal. Yes, the Illinois game was the grinder, but it's one game. We beat MSU, Northwestern and so forth. Not only beat them and Purdue, but left no doubt as to which team was superior in talent and playing level. This Gopher team is a year or so away from taking the field with speed, toughness and depth, along with experience. Some of you would throw that away now for a Mike Leach? I detect spies from Sconnie, Chief.

Sourpuss Pr*ck > Dull Witted Blowhard.

Where does Sourpuss Blowhard fit in?

Charlie Weis wants to know.

He's not the sort of man we should let be around college aged kids. He should never get another amateur coaching job again. If the pros want him, that's fine...but not colleges.

This guy can coach and we need a head coach who can coach. Lets get him! Time to reassign Brewster to Tight Ends Coach or Recruiting Director.

This guy can coach and we need a head coach who can coach. Lets get him! Time to reassign Brewster to Tight Ends Coach or Recruiting Director.

You do realize the Golden Gophers play in Minnesota, correct? You are advocating the hiring of a coach who has had his team throw the football an average of 52.8 times per game over the past four seasons. Genius!

So we can switch back to a spread offense after just one year? Give me a break.

The stupiest post of the year had to come with soooo few hours left in said year.

Neaut41, GopherFish, the only question now is who should get the award. Perhaps the two of you will have to split it.

Goldmember...I agree it's a tie. Give them both an Oscar Mayer WienerMobile.

IS THERE A 10 DAY COOLING OFF PERIOD ON BREWSTERS CONTRACT??

GET LEACH RIGHT NOW, HELL YA!!!

He's not available! He'll be spending the next few months working on the law sfuit he & his attorneys are preparing against TTech.

I'll bank on Brew's ability to recruit noted athletes to MN than Leach's ability to do so to a TX school.

I'll trust Leach's ability considering he's fighting with TCU, Texas, and in Texas a number of other schools for that talent. Who is Brewster contending with most of the time? NDSU? South Dakota? And yet one of them put together a winning program and the other didn't.

You do realize the Golden Gophers play in Minnesota, correct? You are advocating the hiring of a coach who has had his team throw the football an average of 52.8 times per game over the past four seasons. Genius!

Yeah, we might finally get a competent QB in here, little easier to recruit when you can sell a system that's going to have you throwing 60 times a game compared to an incompetent "pro style" garbage offense that struggles to score on Iowa State.

Hopefully the maroon and gold glasses are a little clearer after a day to see exactly what type of garbage coaching we currently have.

This would be a genius move, much like the Tubby Smith hiring. Leach got jobbed at Tech. He's a quality coach who has a talent for just what this team is lacking. We all know what I'm talking about.

I was just going to say, this was inevitable.

Mike Leach is in no way a "Tubby-esque" hire, IMO. I'll bank on Brew's ability to recruit noted athletes to MN than Leach's ability to do so to a TX school. The offense will come together, we just need time. I don't want any of our offensive players reading a new playbook for the next four years. We will continue to struggle if this is the case.

I may be wrong, but didn't Brew change the playbook for this year? Answer me this, is it better for the same head coach to hire different coordinators? or Is it better to hire a new coach that will keep his system and hire assistants that will coach it? I have been a supporter of Brewster, but there are way too many subpar performances for me to continue to believe in him. It is not a recruiting thing, or he needs his guys thing. He has just made too many bad hires and decisions to keep him.

Under Mike Leach, Texas Tech has been known for its high-scoring offense and come-from-behind victories. A 70–35 win over TCU in 2004 began with TCU leading 21–0 with eight minutes remaining in the second quarter. Before Tech's scoring drives started, a TCU defensive back was caught mouthing into a TV camera, "They aren't going to score." Later in the season, Texas Tech beat Nebraska, 70–10, forcing the Cornhuskers to give up more points in a single game than they had before in their 114-year history. In 2005, the Red Raiders were losing to Kansas State, 13–10, late in the second quarter but won the game 59–20. Also in 2005, Tech had a halftime lead of 14–10 over Texas A&M. By the end of the game, they increased the margin to 56–17. It was the Aggies' worst loss to the Red Raiders in the 64-year-old series.[9]

Leach also coached the biggest comeback in NCAA Division I-A bowl game history in the 2006 Insight Bowl versus the University of Minnesota. With Texas Tech trailing 38–7 in the third quarter, the Red Raiders overcame this 31 point deficit and beat the Golden Gophers 44–41 in overtime, topping BYU's 28 point comeback against SMU in the 1980 Holiday Bowl. In addition, Leach won the 2008 Gator Bowl 31-28 after trailing 28–14 with 3:39 remaining.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Leach_(coach)

A coach that can score--that would be welcome. A coach that can win big comeback wins-that would be welcome. A coach whose never had a losing season--that would be welcome. Mike Leach come to Minnesota--you are a great coach and winning in the Big Ten would shut up your critics. You got screwed over unfairly and Tech doesn't deserve you.

One more reason to come her is that your comeback win got our old coach Glen Mason fired and we preceded to replace him with an even worse coach. Come back and clean up the mess you gave us!!

The stupiest post of the year had to come with soooo few hours left in said year.

Neaut41, GopherFish, the only question now is who should get the award. Perhaps the two of you will have to split it.

That distinction doesn't go to me? By the way, I'm not sure about reassigning Brewster like GopherFish suggested, but throwing out the Leach idea is not absurd at all ... why is it? He'll coach again somewhere. I would think this conversation is taking place on many message boards.

Actually, your post makes my list. Are you related to Maturi or just have a mancrush on him?

Leach will fit in well with the crowd on your hoops board rejoicing that White is back practicing with the team.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom